Teddy Atlas: "Crude" McGregor would need 5 years of boxing training--at minimum--to face Mayweather.

Hard to believe this story has been gaining steam even after Nate butchered Conor in the stand-up.

With 5 years of training he might actually be able to survive a round or land a punch.

dont think 50 years would make a difference to the outcome to be honest

And this is why it should be a kickboxing bout

Holding and hitting in the clinch would be his best bet. With a lenient ref, perhaps he could make it competitive that way.

Mayweather would get his ass kicked in a kickboxing bout.

He will never take a risk.
Maybe.

I don't really understand why everyone assumes this, though. There are tons of MMA guys who are successful in fights where they don't throw kicks and are primarily or exclusively striking with their hands.

And Floyd is such a defensive genius that I'd be willing to bet that he could figure out how to defend kicks.

And it's not like Conor is some great kick boxer.

Mayweather would get his ass kicked in a kickboxing bout.

He will never take a risk.

No shit. He would lose in anything besides boxing because that's what he's mastered and he's 40.

Saying McGregor would be competitive with Mayweather after 5 years is a massive compliment.

Maybe.

I don't really understand why everyone assumes this, though. There are tons of MMA guys who are successful in fights where they don't throw kicks and are primarily or exclusively striking with their hands.

And Floyd is such a defensive genius that I'd be willing to bet that he could figure out how to defend kicks.

And it's not like Conor is some great kick boxer.
Because it's obvious to anyone who's done multiple combat sports. Kicks completely change the game.

Floyd isn't a wizard, he's a great boxer. A lot of his defensive tricks only work in boxing. He can't just conjure up great kick defense from thin air because he's a "defensive genius." Newsflash, he's known as one because he's practiced and perfected his defensive game for boxing since he was a child. He didn't wake up one day and unlock ultimate power because he's a "defensive genius."

even 5 years its being kind to Conor. boxing you really have to start at a young age, its a lifetime of dedication to become a elite boxer. Floyd doesn't need to train any boxing for next 6 months, and Conor can train boxing every day.. and Floyd would starch him easily.

The purpose of this boxing match if it happens is to make money for parties involved and not to be a competitive showcase. CM is one of the very few fighters Floyd can box and make 100 million bucks on. It would have a freak show match vibe but money is money.

Because it's obvious to anyone who's done multiple combat sports. Kicks completely change the game.

Floyd isn't a wizard, he's a great boxer. A lot of his defensive tricks only work in boxing. He can't just conjure up great kick defense from thin air because he's a "defensive genius." Newsflash, he's known as one because he's practiced and perfected his defensive game for boxing since he was a child. He didn't wake up one day and unlock ultimate power because he's a "defensive genius."

God I hate posters like you. I never claimed that Floyd unlocked ultimate power because he's a defensive genius. I said that because he's a defensive genius that he could probably figure out defensive skills for kicks.

Notice how different those two things are?

How about responding to what I actually wrote instead of making up retarded shit to pretend that I wrote...

I guess if you did that, then you couldn't convince yourself that you sounded smart.

Nate

“Mcgregor’s talking about “I run boxing”, I’m like you just got boxed up! You didn’t get tapped out. You know what I’m saying, he got beat up & he shot. That waz a way out. “

boxer.png

God I hate posters like you. I never claimed that Floyd unlocked ultimate power because he's a defensive genius. I said that because he's a defensive genius that he could probably figure out defensive skills for kicks.

Notice how different those two things are?

How about responding to what I actually wrote instead of making up retarded shit to pretend that I wrote...

I guess if you did that, then you couldn't convince yourself that you sounded smart.
I never claimed you claimed that Floyd unlocked ultimate power because he's a defensive genius. Apparently that whole line of thought was way too difficult for you to comprehend. Don't worry about it, no one chooses to be born obtuse.

And no, Floyd would not "figure out defensive skills for kicks" in time. He'd need years of kickboxing training, and even then no one can say how well he'd do. Almost everything he does is boxing specific, starting from stances all the way to how he dodges and how he gets out of in-fight situations, and would have to be modified (and thus need extensive retune practice) for kickboxing. That means he'd lose a lot of defense against punches as well.

Let me guess, you don't even train?

Back