Paul Felder has so much potential..

That209

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Paul Felder is one of my favourite fighters and has been since the Danny Castillo fight. The way he fought that night was simply beautiful compared to what he's been doing lately. In the Castillo fight, he fought very intelligently, he picked his shots and his defense looked great. His head movement was just beautiful to watch and his footwork was on point unlike his last few fights.

It seems he's been trying to force the knockout in his last few fights. He's just been walking straight forward, throwing bombs and eating way more shots than he should because he isn't moving his head nearly as well as he did in previous fights. He really wants to get another spinning backfist KO, as he clearly spammed it in the Barboza fight and quite a few times against Pearson if I remember correctly.

He had a hell of a hard time against Cruickshank, a guy he should've wasted in my opinion, but again he didn't fight intelligently like he did once before and was trying to force the knockout. Felder hasn't shown what he's truly capable of since the Castillo fight, he's truly so much better than what we've been seeing as of late and with the right gameplan(s), I think he could be a solid top 10. He's got great striking if he really fights intelligently and doesn't just walk forward like a bat out of hell, and he's one of the toughest motherfuckers around and that toughness can make you a threat to almost anybody since they can't really hurt you.

It will be a damn shame if he loses to Burkman and ends up getting cut or something. Felder/Burkman could be FOTN of the night for sure in my opinion but if Felder comes in and fights the same way that he did in his last few fights, then it's really going to suck because he's truly so much better than that.

Paul Felder is the man and I truly believe he can be a force in this division, he just needs to come in with the correct gameplan instead of just moving forward, throwing bombs, not using his excellent head movement that he once showed as well as footwork and ability to mix it up so well, picking shots intelligently and such.

I really, really hope he wins this weekend because I would HATE to see him get cut. UFC needs fun fighters like Paul Felder. He's 32 years old, so he needs to start fighting more intelligently like he did in the Castillo fight before it's too late. He's so much fucking better than what we've been seeing lately.

/rant

Last edited:
He was fighting against a far more limited fighter on the stand-up against Castillo, harder to focus on all the layers when you're worried about your oponent's threats.
Gotta keep in mind that Felder is fairly green in experience, give him time.

I agree.....tough guy, great technique....fun to watch.......hope he develops quickly.......Id pay to watch him fight

Yea hes got the same issue that brandon thatch does.

Lots of potential but just doesnt use it all.

I guess for some these things come with experience.

There's a lot to like about Paul, but still much that gives me caution. He has a difficult time getting into his rhythm sometimes and chooses to brawl often. I think he'll have his hands full with someone as experienced and crafty as Burkman. Still like him and hope he is able to grow as a fighter.

One thing with Felder is that he's game but also gets frustrated when he gets hit (he visibly gets angry it's kinda funny). Against Castillo he was cool and collected, as he knew Danny was looking to set up the takedown.
Against Barboza, he was ok for the most part only getting mad when kicked hard.
Against Pearson it was the counter boxing that frustrated him, and against Daron, it was the side kicks after the combos.
The gameship is both a good and a bad thing right now, he needs to focus that in a good way that makes sense with his game.

He was fighting against a far more limited fighter on the stand-up against Castillo, harder to focus on all the layers when you're worried about your oponent's threats.
Gotta keep in mind that Felder is fairly green in experience, give him time.

I know, Castillo is far more limited in that stand-up than Barboza, Pearson and Cruickshank but the thing is that Felder fought so intelligently against Castillo. He didn't just walk forward, throwing bombs, not utilizing his footwork and very good head movement. He didn't just try to walk Castillo down and force the KO, he stood in the center and fought very intelligently and it's pretty upsetting that he hasn't been doing that lately.

Castillo is definitely more limited than Felder's last few opponents on the feet, as you said, but he's no slouch. It was a beautiful performance and win for Felder but it almost seems as if that win was a bad thing for him because he hasn't been fighting the same since, he's just been walking forward and taking shots. He's so much better than what we've seen as of late.

/repetitive post

Love Irish dragon.
Felder went toe to toe with barboza

Oh yeah, man, Felder is one tough mofo. Not many can take that many brutal body kicks and not go down, it's crazy how he took those shots and just taunted Barboza right after multiple times. You don't see that kind of durability and toughness everyday. I bet Cerrone wishes he could take body shots like that, lol. If Barboza landed one of those brutal switch kicks on Cerrone, he would've died.

he's dope he had a tough welcome to the UFC and hasnt had any soft touches since. He's been competitive with some top quality competition. I dont like how bratty he acts at the end of every fight he loses but I cant really judge him for it, he's been in some close fights and is clearly putting his heart and soul into this shit so I aint mad at him for it.

That being said I wonder if we've already found his ceiling tbh, super tough motherfucker who's competitive with upper echelon but not enough to win most times. He does have a ton of potential and I wish him the best tho, dude brings it.

One thing with Felder is that he's game but also gets frustrated when he gets hit (he visibly gets angry it's kinda funny). Against Castillo he was cool and collected, as he knew Danny was looking to set up the takedown.
Against Barboza, he was ok for the most part only getting mad when kicked hard.
Against Pearson it was the counter boxing that frustrated him, and against Daron, it was the side kicks after the combos.
The gameship is both a good and a bad thing right now, he needs to focus that in a good way that makes sense with his game.

Yup, he clearly gets pissed off when his opponent hits him hard and that's when he just starts walking forward, throwing bombs, not showing his (truly) great defense and footwork and starts taking more shots because of it. With the right gameplan, I think he can give anybody a very, very tough fight on the feet and win but it seems the gameplan goes out the window when gets hit hard.

He needs to work on that in my opinion. Diego Sanchez does the same kind of thing, he comes in with a solid gameplan and then he gets hit hard a few times and the gameplan goes out the window, then it's barroom brawl time.

I've already said this a few times in here but Felder is so much better than what we've been seeing lately. We haven't seen how good he truly is ever since the Castillo fight, it really sucks.. so much f'n potential, man, and one of my favourite fighters.

he's dope he had a tough welcome to the UFC and hasnt had any soft touches since. He's been competitive with some top quality competition. I dont like how bratty he acts at the end of every fight he loses but I cant really judge him for it, he's been in some close fights and is clearly putting his heart and soul into this shit so I aint mad at him for it.

That being said I wonder if we've already found his ceiling tbh, super tough motherfucker who's competitive with upper echelon but not enough to win most times. He does have a ton of potential and I wish him the best tho, dude brings it.

They definitely haven't given him any easy fights, that's for sure. He looked amazing against Castillo and then they threw him straight in the grinder against Barboza, just a HUGE jump in competition. It's not really a great way to build a fighter up and let him get the right amount of experience to start taking on the wolves. Pearson is definitely a drop in competition when compared to Barboza, but he's a very crafty veteran and is obviously no joke.

Pearson is a very skilled striker, and it's weird that sometimes he looks like one of the best in the division one night and then looks like he shouldn't even be in the cage another night, you know what I mean? Then he fought Cruickshank, who isn't even in the UFC anymore and he was beating Felder from what I remember because Felder was just walking forward and getting mad again. Luckily Felder won because it would've been pretty shitty for him to lose to Cruickshank of all people. No disrespect towards Cruickshank, I like the guy, he's fun to watch and seems like a good dude, but man.. Felder should've fucking wasted him IMO...

Felder is truly soooo much better than him but he just fought wrong that night, as he's been doing in his last few. I've said it so many times here already.. Felder.. man.. so much potential and is so much better than what we've been seeing as of late. I hope he can get it together and show his true potential this weekend.

They definitely haven't given him any easy fights, that's for sure. He looked amazing against Castillo and then they threw him straight in the grinder against Barboza, just a HUGE jump in competition. It's not really a great way to build a fighter up and let him get the right amount of experience to start taking on the wolves. Pearson is definitely a drop in competition when compared to Barboza, but he's a very crafty veteran and is obviously no joke.

Pearson is a very skilled striker, and it's weird that sometimes he looks like one of the best in the division one night and then looks like he shouldn't even be in the cage another night, you know what I mean? Then he fought Cruickshank, who isn't even in the UFC anymore and he was beating Felder from what I remember because Felder was just walking forward and getting mad again. Luckily Felder won because it would've been pretty shitty for him to lose to Cruickshank of all people. No disrespect towards Cruickshank, I like the guy, he's fun to watch and seems like a good dude, but man.. Felder should've fucking wasted him IMO...

Felder is truly soooo much better than him but he just fought wrong that night, as he's been doing in his last few. I've said it so many times here already.. Felder.. man.. so much potential and is so much better than what we've been seeing as of late. I hope he can get it together and show his true potential this weekend.

Id really like to see him bring it all together and live up to the potential, youre right tho. Not a great way to bring up a fighter giving him so many tough fights off the bat. Dude showed his toughness tho I hope he'll show more cuz noone lasts long fighting on sheer balls alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back