Why are people saying Chael didn't have any power?

ortizgnp

Juice Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I find it strange that so many people are saying Chael Sonnen was pillowfisted because of the lack of KO/TKO's in the UFC. Let's not forget he actually dropped Anderson who according to Sherbro's still was in his prime at that point.

But Chael mainly pressured his opponents down and with the help of his ground and pound gave them serious long-term damage instead:

Paulo Filho got dominated in their first fight before the controversial submission. Rematch was scheduled but had to be delayed because Filho suffered from drug abuse. In their second fight which Chael won - Filho wasn't the same and has never been since Chael took away his perfect 16-0 record.

Marquardt was a serious title contender at the point of his fight against Chael and was the heavy favorite.
Chael dominated him and I guess we all can agree on that Marquardt flew off the radar after that.
4 losses out of 7 by TKO/KO (5-7) after he fought Chael.

Anderson Silva got knocked out, broke his leg and got caught juicing after he received 450 punches from the biggest arms in West Linn, Oregon.

Jon Jones lost his toe, got in serious trouble with the law and stripped of his title after getting locked inside the cage with Chael.

There's a couple of more - Rashad (hasn't won a fight since), Shogun (debatable), Stann (American hero, took on a tank by himself, WEC Lightheavyweight champion, went 1-2 after Sonnen and retired), Wanderlei (got Illuminati'd by the UFC).

Fighting Chael Sonnen, win or lose, obviously causes serious long-term damage and this should be considered when talking about him. He is the GOAT soultaker in MMA and should be considered one of the most feared fighters solely because of what happens to your career if you do.
He didn't get any UFC belt but he sure got a couple of champion souls.

chael_sonnen.png

Discuss

Last edited:
Because he hit andersom with 300 punches and then anderson laughed at him and tapped him out?

One does not get locked in a cage with the American Gangster and leaves unpunished. Try your luck against Chael P. and your chin will never be the same again.

450 punches and still couldn't knock him out.That's the definition of a pillowfisted fighter

Yea, he definitely took a couple years off Rashad's life.

There were literally no posts on this recently

No one gets hit by the gangster himself and doesn't get hurt.

STHsstm.gif

Anderson had one of the best chins of all time btw

Ok and he ate a clean straight left power shot from a south paw and it made him put one hand down? Not even sure his palm touched the floor maybe just some fingers to bounce him back up

Silva did more damage from the bottom in 1 round than Sonnen did from the top in 5. Suck it. I have previously been warned that I might get banned for speaking my mind about Sonnen so I will say no more.

chael+lands+big+shot+on+anderson+gif.gif

This shot would have KO'd most guys in UFC MW division. Silva certainly had a good chin in his prime.

I liked his ground and pound and thought he showed power there. On the feet power does have alot to do with knockdowns but I think its more precision like when a fighter gets dropped by a jab its not the hardest strike but when placed perfectly can cause kos.

Don't forget Wand's career took a shit after he and his thugs jumped ol' Sonny.

Ok and he ate a clean straight left power shot from a south paw and it made him put one hand down? Not even sure his palm touched the floor maybe just some fingers to bounce him back up

Anderson had one of the best chins of all time and got the shit wobbled out of him by Chael

He clearly has power of some sort ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't forget Wand's career took a shit after he and his thugs jumped ol' Sonny.
Who took him down in 0.323 seconds while wearing flip-flops,and pounded him even after 10 people were hitting him in the back of his head!

Back