Big MMA Myth: Yoel Romero has bad cardio. Gifs included

Alanf7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
On sherdog i'm always reading that Romero has bad cardio and many of those people base it on the fight against Jacare. They don't take in consideration that he had the flu. On top of that he went on a barrage for a big part of the first round trying to finish Jacare by going all out with the ground and pound in Jacare's highly dangerous full guard and punch himself out. Note that Jacare hasn't been hurt that bad for a long long time.
sk7aQFt.gif

Most fighters would be gassed so bad they couldn't even move the next rounds but Romero still did well.

For example almost the same thing happend during the Magny vs Lombard fight and Lombard punched himself out so badly trying to finish Magny he couldn't even move in the next rounds resulting in him getting finished by Magny.
GlassSoupyAdmiralbutterfly.gif

UniformOddGemsbok.gif

LateCloseAlpinegoat.gif

On top of that people neglect the fact that most of Romero's finishes are in the third round meaning he doesn't have a cardio problem when he doesn't have the flu and paces himself well. An good example for this is the Machida fight where he paced himself very well for three rounds and almost murdered Machida in the third with his brutal ground and pound while still moving fresh and not tired.
LateDishonestHyracotherium.gif

QuarrelsomeNeedyCrayfish.gif

Here is a finish in the third against Brunson who is having an impressive win streak since that loss:
tumblr_mzhpfo0rpx1qaa8d1o1_250.gif

Impressive takedown in the third:
giphy-tumblr.gif

Romero doesn't have bad cardio normally and it was an incident in the Jacare fight. He actually did very well cardio wise if you take the flu and barrage on Jacare in consideration. Yoel is a very impressive fighter who came into the sport late in his career and had to learn a lot of things which other fighters have learned from since they were young but has dominated on this level nonetheless.

War gay Jezus.
UFCYoelRomero.gif

400_Yoel_Romero.0.0.jpg

Last edited:
Casuals think anyone who's muscled up must have bad cardio because Rogan and Goldberg have been saying that forever. The truth is that Romero is economical with his output and has more third round finishes than just about anyone in the UFC.

Casuals think anyone who's muscled up must have bad cardio because Rogan and Goldberg have been saying that forever. The truth is that Romero is economical with his output and has more third round finishes than just about anyone in the UFC.
This man understands.

He often looks visibly tired into the second round, but then again most of his finishes come in the third round. I'll believe results over my lying eyes at the end of the day.

He often looks visibly tired into the second round, but then again most of his finishes come in the third round. I'll believe results over my lying eyes at the end of the day.

He doesn't gas because he fights extremely slow and relaxed, it's clear he tires but it doesnt affect his performance.
I don't think his gas tank is top notch if someone made him work hard he would gas out real bad.

I agree not sure if he'd pass the 5 round test though

He throws out heavy during the first, takes it slow on the second and then goes ham on the third.

I dont consider him having bad cardio. he gets tired sometimes,and he wins anyway. You could say that about alot of fighters.

It's kind of confusing because he looks exhausted usually around the 2nd round, but still gets finishes well after. I don't know if it's a 2nd wind, playing possum, or just pushing through the exhaustion, but either way he can still eff guys up late in the fight. We'll see what happens if he ever goes to 4th and 5th rounds.

He's the Robbie Lawler of three round fights.

No for gay gas

He preserves his wad very well until he finds the right moment to blast it all. Gay Jesus can be champ if he keeps his nose ostensibly clean.

He doesn't have bad cardio, but he did gas in the Jacare fight.

An even worse MMA myth is that Sapo Santos was "totally gassed and at the gates of hell" before Askren eye poked him.

That is the most laughable shit I think I've ever heard considering how much Askren was getting rag dolled up until he stuck his thumb in the dude's eye.

His entire cardio aspect is a myth now coming off the juice.

No such thing as an Olympic wrestler with bad cardio

Back