What matters more to you

Wizzlebiz

Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest
@Silver
Reaction score
Long term champs IE: jones, silva, dj

Or short term champs where the division is kept fresh due to constant fights that arent consider a cleaned out division?

For me personally i like the long term champs. Someone where as a fan you can hang your hat on stating this guy is unbeatable. It just seems to have more alure for me.

What do you say sherdog?

Edit. Would love a poll on this btw. Mods if you can insert id appreciate it.

Long term champs, its hard to keep up otherwise and better to witness history and long title reigns

I always enjoy when a champ goes on a nice run but I also like seeing things get shaken up regularly. I'll say both.

Good fights. If the long term champ is still producing, then so be it.

I say both that's the beauty of MMA it's most Darwinistic of all sports. And yeah I did make up the word Darwinistic lol but sherbruhs get my drift.

Anderson. Defends and takes fun fights, back to defending.

I like both. Long term champs always get crap. People say its a weak division not that they are great. If you have good turn over it's better for the sport.

Definitely long term champs. I remember the LHW division between 2007 and 2011 handing off the belt defense after defense and it was probably my least favorite division at the time because of that, even though it had plenty of great fighters. It was only until Jon Jones came in to dominate where it brought my interest in the division back.

entertaining champs
long term if their fights are wars like lawler

"i dont care as long as they are welterweight and higher" - sherdog

Long term champs who have exciting fights are the best. Lawler, Fedor, Silva etc.

Enjoy exciting champs and fearless

Anderson gsp Jones never did it for me

Fedor Hughes hendo wand. My favourites

Long term , you see a fighter building his legacy , it's a beautiful thing.

I prefer when a champion doesn't stay on top for too long. I feel like it makes the division kind of boring when someone holds a title for years. I found it incredibly hard to get excited for most of Anderson's fights

All else being equal, I like long-term champs because it's always a big deal when they lose, and they seem really legitimate -- not like a placeholder or paper champ, not like someone who happened to win a title but wasn't really the best guy

If a guy's going to be the kind of champ who wins close decisions and doesn't seem like the actual best guy in the division, he'd better at least be fucking rad to watch, like Lawler, not a drag like Cruz (who really, really, really shouldn't be champ right now.)

->finishers
->fighters with killer instinct
->blanket killers

I always enjoy when a champ goes on a nice run but I also like seeing things get shaken up regularly. I'll say both.
Yup me too, THIS.

Long term champs IE: jones, silva, dj

Or short term champs where the division is kept fresh due to constant fights that arent consider a cleaned out division?

For me personally i like the long term champs. Someone where as a fan you can hang your hat on stating this guy is unbeatable. It just seems to have more alure for me.

What do you say sherdog?

Edit. Would love a poll on this btw. Mods if you can insert id appreciate it.

I would say Long term champs.. For me fighters like Jones and DJ are not boring at all, and I don't see why they are criticized so often for "dominance" afterall, thats what everything is striving for right?

When they lose, there is almost always a lot of shuffling around in the division until another dominant fighter appears. Also, dominant champions generally sell better than new faces.

Long term champs are fine. But if they stay dominant too long they ruin their division i.e Jones, MM, and Anderson a few years back.

Good fights. If the long term champ is still producing, then so be it.
The best answer, to my mind.

Hughes was champ for a while, his fights were awesome so I was happy. GSP was champ for a long while but his fights (to me) became stale because he basically fought the exact same fight several times in a row. So when he retired I was happy that the division would freshen up.

Back