Possible Welterweight title picture in a few months.

Grappleboxing

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Currently on schedule.
Robbie Lawler(c) vs Tyron Woodley (#3)

Rory Mac( #1) vs Stephen Thompson (#2)

Johny Hendricks( #6) vs Kelvin Gastelum(#13)

Carlos Condit(MIA), Demian Maia(just subbed Brown), Neil Magny(Not schedule, beat Lombard in his most recent fight)

With Lawler defending against Woodley at UFC 201, it got me thinking about the title picture. Rory MacDonald says he wants to explore free agency should he win against Thompson and if he does, I can't imagine Bellator not jumping at the chance to sign him. Can't see Rory staying around if Lawler is still champion as he'll probably never get a shot against him again. If Woodley wins however, a title shot in the contract might be enough to entice Rory to stick around.

So if Lawler and MacDonald both win, would Maia be the most likely candidate for the title shot?

Lawler wins, MacDonald win=Maia Title shot?
Lawler wins, Thompson win= More than likely Thompson gets shot.
Woodley wins(barring any immediate rematch), MacDonald win= Rory gets shot?
Woodley wins, Thompson win= Who gets the shot? Maia, Thompson, or even Condit?

I believe if Thompson wins by KTFO, he'll get the shot. If he wins a boring and split decision, Maia might get the shot, or even Condit.

Thoughts?

I would like to see Condit vs. Rory/Thompson winner next. Maia has earned his shot in my opinion. Give him the winner of Woodley/Lawler.

Nah. What will happen is Lawler/Woodley will be a 5 round battle with Woodley winning by split decision.

Dana orders an immediate rematch.

Pfft.

If Wonderboy wins he gets the shot. If he loses then Maia gets it.

Can't see Rory staying around if Lawler is still champion as he'll probably never get a shot against him again.

I disagree with this. Their last fight was epic. People would pay to see them fight again and the UFC could market the fuck out of it.

l41lHtOfrfjXQDcoo.gif

Last edited:
With the only top 5 that he fought he lost badly (against Rory)

Fair enough. But if Rory beats Thompson- i do not think the UFC are so willing to make a third fight in three years when Rory lost the last two. Who else is out there besides Maia? Maybe Condit and that is it.

Kelvin and Hendricks should be out of the picture for a while.

Wonderboy (if he wins) or Maia should be next.

Rory/Wonderboy should be a great fight.

Who wouldn't want to see a rematch of Rory and Lawler?

Wonderboy/Lawler would be exciting, too.

I see Maia getting screwed.

wonderboy or maia for next shot. rory needs a few wins first.

Winner of Rory/WB gets next shot. Specially if Rory finishes it

Maia has to go through an eliminator of the next round.

Currently on schedule.
Robbie Lawler(c) vs Tyron Woodley (#3)

Rory Mac( #1) vs Stephen Thompson (#2)

Johny Hendricks( #6) vs Kelvin Gastelum(#13)

Carlos Condit(MIA), Demian Maia(just subbed Brown), Neil Magny(Not schedule, beat Lombard in his most recent fight)

With Lawler defending against Woodley at UFC 201, it got me thinking about the title picture. Rory MacDonald says he wants to explore free agency should he win against Thompson and if he does, I can't imagine Bellator not jumping at the chance to sign him. Can't see Rory staying around if Lawler is still champion as he'll probably never get a shot against him again. If Woodley wins however, a title shot in the contract might be enough to entice Rory to stick around.

So if Lawler and MacDonald both win, would Maia be the most likely candidate for the title shot?

Lawler wins, MacDonald win=Maia Title shot?
Lawler wins, Thompson win= More than likely Thompson gets shot.
Woodley wins(barring any immediate rematch), MacDonald win= Rory gets shot?
Woodley wins, Thompson win= Who gets the shot? Maia, Thompson, or even Condit?

I believe if Thompson wins by KTFO, he'll get the shot. If he wins a boring and split decision, Maia might get the shot, or even Condit.

Thoughts?
Come on. Robbie vs Rory 3 is a fight that actually still makes sense.

In the first fight, I had Rory winning but the judges have Robbie the SD.

The second fight was the FOT decade so far. Top 5 favorite fights of all time. Plus going into the 5th it was tied 2-2 that Robbie made Rory's noise explode.

If Rory beats WB and gets a proper contract I can see Rory vs one more person than another fight with Robbie IF Robbie still has the belt.

Rory vs Koreshkov in Bellator sounds pretty fucking dope actually.

I think woodley can beat Lawler, just cuz he can cash in on all the damage Robbie has absorbed lately. Wonderboy beats red king soundly. Maia then beats red king in the rematch (if rory even re-signs new contract ) Woodley faces wonderboy, maia gets winner of that.

Time for GSP to return and for Conor to stay WW. I kid, I kid...

With the only top 5 that he fought he lost badly (against Rory)
I get your a big red king fan, but lawler ended rory. he will need therapy for the physical (how much facial surgery did he have?) and mental trauma he endured in that fight.

I still don't know why they booked the Wonderboy-Rory fight. If Wonderboy wins he gets the shot, if Rory pulls off the W...well there you go, he gets nothing and Wonderboy is in Nirvana.
IMO Wonderboy vs. Maia would be a reasonable fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back