Renan Barão is being overlooked

DS7

Bangkok Ready
@red
Reaction score
You are truly good as your last fight, when he was champ people were going crazy with him and he was in every P4P discussion but after those 2 Dillashaw fights people don`t give a shit about him.
It`s fantastic that he is moving up to 145, he was one of those fighters that it was hard to see him on Weigh In day, his underpants didn`t even fit on him lmao and that drastic weigh cut was affecting him especially in the later rounds.
Him at 145 could be even more explosive and his cardio wouldn`t be a problem anymore, the only issue i have with him is the mental aspect, he was a guy who was used to be the bully, you could see the confidence in the way he moved and he was use to destroy people left and right, but that Dillashaw fight made a brutal damage in his mental aspect of the game. You could see when he stepped foot in the octagon in the rematch that he was just not confident at all and he was just a human punching bag.
I hope this time off does wonders for him in that aspect, so he could get his mind cleared and ready to have another purpose in his career now at 145 and if he is good with everything this guy is a problem for everyone in that division.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
His next fight is gonna decide whether TJ took his soul or not.

It goes deeper than that. I think his mental is fine, he took some bombs from TJ and was still trying to win (in both fights).
That being said, what was really exposed was his technique. The guy gets sloppy as living fuck in exchanges and didn't change much going into the rematch. He proved to be at least a notch below the best strikers of the sport. That being said, Stephens isn't exactly a haven for clean striking himself so Barao may win.

Paragraphs, TS, paragraphs. That wall of text puts Old Berlin to shame.

Really interested in this fight. Barao should have been at FW a long time ago curious to see how he fares. Nova Uniao has been in a tailspin of late though.

I agree that "you're only as good as your last fight" is annoying as shit, but he legitimately did get his ass whooped by TJ twice. Like you said, the mental aspect of his game might be messed up.

I still have Barao by decision, but in no way would I be surprised if Stephens flatlined him.

I'm really interested in seeing how the weight cut, or lack there of effects him. I can only imagine those 10 extra pounds were killing him physically.

Anyone know what he's walking around at now at 145? Very, very tough debut fight for him against Stephens.

he could be the most underrated fighter on the roster - but most peoples opinions are bought by marketing plus viewing the fighters last fight - so its not surprising

It'll be great to see how he is now that he's no longer depleting his body. He seriously should have been at 145 a while ago, hopefully TJ didn't break him because there are some fun fights for Barao at 145.

It goes deeper than that. I think his mental is fine, he took some bombs from TJ and was still trying to win (in both fights).
That being said, what was really exposed was his technique. The guy gets sloppy as living fuck in exchanges and didn't change much going into the rematch. He proved to be at least a notch below the best strikers of the sport. That being said, Stephens isn't exactly a haven for clean striking himself so Barao may win.

I don`t agree, i think his technique is good but he was just fighting a guy who is on another level of technique not only at 145 but P4P, Dillashaw and Cruz are beyond great when it comes to tecnhique.

Still a fan of him, His last 3 fights have been a little bit underwhelming in regards to his stunning winning streak before that.

I just hope he comes in with a good offensive striking like he did before. But it will be tough, people get older and accumulate more injuries. It happens to the best of us.

You're only as good as your last fights, but some times, you are also not as good as some may think you are when winning. Barao didn't looked good in all his wins.

I think Dillishaw and Cruz have a style Barao can't handle. Glad he's moving up and away from those two.

Hope Barao will be in top form and stronger at 145, I think the Snake was a bad matchup for him but also fought him when he was no longer able to make 135 properly.

I never thought he was that good to begin with
xT0BKNBeDmlxDkM51e.gif

Isnt he going to jail for pistol whipping a bouncer?

He has great timing and aggression, along with a slick and explosive submission game.

He lacks the quickness to deal with a quick, aggressive and confident fighter like TJ. I think TJ may be the worst possible matchup for him at 135 or 145, him or Aldo actually.

Barao was big at 135, can't wait to see how he does at his natural weight class
barao_renan640.jpg

Atleast we wont have any more fights canceled cause he fainted in a sauna from cutting weight...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back