Is there any downside to this approach?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

Some fighters doesn't do study. They just train and leave the rest to the coaches. Is there any downside to study your opponent fully? What if he comes in a TOTALLY different fighter from what the tape show? (Dillashaw/Barao 1)

If I were a fighter, I would actually prefer to study guy style out of curiosity. Seem a common sense to me.

Boredom.

200w.gif

No, there doesn't seem to be any conceivable reason that some of these fighters don't watch film of themselves and their opponents. Obviously there is some sort of disconnect because I've never heard a fighter or coach offer up the reason why a fighter shouldn't watch and study film.

I think there is a danger with tape study, of cementing in your head an idea of how your opponent is 'supposed to' move. This can create specific expectations, which could screw up your performance and cause you to play catchup with what he's really doing, putting you a step behind the action.

A fighter who doesn't care as much about tape, could hypothetically be more free & fluid, not bogged down by second-guessing.

I think a great coach should balance these two.

Deffo study an opponent make plans on his style but make it the secondary part of your plan ,a consideration not the main plan.

Coaches are awesome they coach and assist,but no way id leave my fate in another mans hands.
Id always do my own work on top

lol @ anyone saying studying tape is bad.

you people do realize these things don't alter the fighter completely, right? you see someone dropping their right hand when throwing a left hook, you're not going to dedicate your entire camp to throwing a counter and dismiss everything else. when they don't drop their hand, you aren't going to panic because suddenly you have nothing else. it was just an opportunity you prepared for.

guys who claim they don't prepare for a specific opponent are living in the past. a well rounder game and ability to fight everywhere is always the main focus, but knowing your opponent's habits is what gives you an extra edge. it doesn't limit you in any way.

the best example i can think of is GSP vs penn 2. GSP and his camp realized that BJ trains a lot like a boxer, so their plan was to lean on him and tire out his arms. they also knew BJ is awesome at standing back up, so any time GSP stood up in the guard, he controlled at least one of BJ's legs and lifted it towards his head the second BJ tried to move. now, do you think that specific technique would've messed with georges' head if BJ didn't try it?

You can't change completely inbetween fights lol

More important than studying tape would be be adapting to your opponent on the fly and having multiple gameplans.

Back