Young Americans: 32 Percent of People Ages 18-34 Live With Parents, Pew Research Center Study Shows

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
< PLEASE MOVE TO MAYBERRY, SORRY>

The center released an analysis Tuesday of 2014 census data that says for the first time in more than 130 years, young adults in the U.S. are more likely to live with their parents.

Well its in US only but this trend is also present in Europe and Asia.

How do you guys see living with parents personally?

I understand some people dont have well paid jobs, hardly make ends meet. But is it really "not right" living with parents?

I actually left the country to live somewhere else, I am well independent but If I had to, I wouldn't mind living with my parents again, pay rent, help with the bills, and share the chores. My parents offten telling me that they rather have me with them, but I am currently progressing in my workplace so dont have the need to move.

But yeah, lets hear it. How you guys see it?

giphy.gif

Wrong forum bro,

Google emergent adulthood for your anwser however.

In big cities in Europe it's very hard for people to leave the house and venture out on their own. Due to expats and growing stream of people the apartment price sky rocketed to absurd heights. Where a regular apartment used to cost 800 euro or 1000 dollar it has more than doubled in recent years. Considering an average salary is around 1300 euro or 1500 dollar, it's hard to live on one income.

One of the few options you have is to live with roommates, which is still not as liberating as having your own apartment. A sales rep can live comfortably while a plumber would have a more difficult time. People with lower incomes usually leave the bigger cities and settle in cheaper neighborhoods/cities.

Don't know the US standards so can't comment on those, just my perspective on how most of my friends experience Europe.

To answer the question, though, it's all propaganda, man. Since time immemorial there was no moving out of your parents' house and up until relatively recently historically speaking it was perfectly normal for 3 or 4 generations of a family to all live under the same roof.

This leaving the nest stuff is a propaganda move to foster consumerism. Besides, there is a financial crisis that's not gonna be solved anytime soon so whatever's cheapest is going to become the norm.

< PLEASE MOVE TO MAYBERRY, SORRY>

The center released an analysis Tuesday of 2014 census data that says for the first time in more than 130 years, young adults in the U.S. are more likely to live with their parents.

Well its in US only but this trend is also present in Europe and Asia.

How do you guys see living with parents personally?

I understand some people dont have well paid jobs, hardly make ends meet. But is it really "not right" living with parents?

I actually left the country to live somewhere else, I am well independent but If I had to, I wouldn't mind living with my parents again, pay rent, help with the bills, and share the chores. My parents offten telling me that they rather have me with them, but I am currently progressing in my workplace so dont have the need to move.

But yeah, lets hear it. How you guys see it?

Whats the big deal with living with your parents. Its better to save money that way if you can handle it

Whats the big deal with living with your parents. Its better to save money that way if you can handle it
i don't get this argument. don't people want to have a life? are they content with living with their parents like a parasite until they are 40? that's like saying - why buy food if my mom can breastfeed me forever.

how is this not being mocked like it's supposed to be.
move your lazy ass out of your mommas house.

Doesn't surprise me, it's a much different world than when I left home in 1991 at age 18. Now I'm told they won't even let you into a rental lease without established credit, how many 18-20 year olds do you know who have this? I'd imagine not many, this is a product of our modern times. If my children contribute to the household and were moving forward starting life on their own (college/tech school/working) I'd have no problem with letting them stay under my roof for a few extra years.

i don't get this argument. don't people want to have a life? are they content with living with their parents like a parasite until they are 40? that's like saying - why buy food if my mom can breastfeed me forever.

how is this not being mocked like it's supposed to be.
move your lazy ass out of your mommas house.

Depends what country you are from. In Italy (and other countries), I hear that it's normal to stay at home and help the folks with bills.

Unless you are claiming you are saving money, but never leave and don;t actually save much. Those that don't contribute anything to the household and just leach (especially if they have a job) are in the wrong, IMO. If your parents are loaded (and you're living on the West wing of your 10 bed house), I can see why they wouldn't accept money, but if they just had/have regular jobs, nahh.

Also, age plays a big factor. No need to rush out of the home as soon as you hit 18.

Just to prove I am not always against Conor. He doesn't live with his parents and fits the demographic age-wise.

It's an overblown problem. Living with a bunch of strangers met off craigslist is hardly a crucial developmental step for people fresh out of college. Around Boston, rents are so high that it's very difficult to get an apartment on an entry level salary anywhere in/around the city. I've got entry level staff st my company transfering to our Chicago office to lower cost of living. We're not paying for relocation, they're able to make the move by cutting living expenses and saving. Seems reasonable to me to live with your parents if it allows you to get your shit in order.

If you're a basement dwelling pothead or something, yeah it can be off putting. And, having one big thing in common with the loser class does invite a comparison. Probably best not to lump everybody together on the basis of one temporary characteristic though

In big cities in Europe it's very hard for people to leave the house and venture out on their own. Due to expats and growing stream of people the apartment price sky rocketed to absurd heights. Where a regular apartment used to cost 800 euro or 1000 dollar it has more than doubled in recent years. Considering an average salary is around 1300 euro or 1500 dollar, it's hard to live on one income.

One of the few options you have is to live with roommates, which is still not as liberating as having your own apartment. A sales rep can live comfortably while a plumber would have a more difficult time. People with lower incomes usually leave the bigger cities and settle in cheaper neighborhoods/cities.

Don't know the US standards so can't comment on those, just my perspective on how most of my friends experience Europe.
I assume you are in France... Because 1300 euro is a typical french salary. But 1600 euro for an appartment, you might be from Ile de France, or even Lyon or Marseille (Gosh I hate OM).
Besides, a plumber makes very good money so he could and should be able to afford his own place.... But in France, even a plumber do not earn that good

I live with my gf, but I don't see a reason why you shouldn't live with your parents. I visit my parents a lot.

Families should stick together, and I think that shaming people that live with their parents is complete horseshit.

The only shame is in not working. If you are a couch potato then shame on you.

I don't know if it's the cost rising (it is) so much as the stigma lessening.

In more traditional (i.e. non-Western) societies this has always been a thing. Now North Americans are getting in on the fun.

I live with my gf, but I don't see a reason why you shouldn't live with your parents. I visit my parents a lot.

Families should stick together, and I think that shaming people that live with their parents is complete horseshit.

The only shame is in not working. If you are a couch potato then shame on you.
I agree with this. All of it.

Being in a hurry to move out is definitely an American thing, and a relatively recent one at that.

young people living with their parents seems to happen more often around bigger cities. and since most people live near cities, it makes it more expensive and competitive to find a place of your own. in smaller towns, it's a lot more common for young people to live on their own because there are so many more apartments/homes. competition has created this problem in those big cities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back