Blaming USADA or claiming they are ruining the sport is lunacy...

Cleveland

Sherdog Belt
@Green
Reaction score
http://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibit...g-iv-infusions-for-re-hydration-and-recovery/

"We have seen an increase in inquires at USADA about the use of Intravenous (IV) Infusions for this purpose, and would like to assist athletes and medical personnel by offering education. In accordance with the WADA Prohibited List (Category M2 Chemical and Physical Manipulation), all IV infusions and/or injections of more than 50mL (~3.4 tablespoons) per 6-hour period are prohibited, except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital admissions, surgical procedures or clinical investigations. IV infusions and/or injections of more than 50mL per 6-hour period are prohibited at all times, both in- and out-of-competition unless the athlete has applied for and been granted a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) under the applicable anti-doping rules. Further, if a prohibited substance that is administered intravenously or via injection, a TUE is necessary for this substance regardless of volume.

Some reports suggest that administration of IV infusions, including dietary supplement and vitamin cocktails, are being provided to athletes for recuperation, recovery or lifestyle reasons. This medical practice is prohibited at all times without prior TUE approval. WADA has justified the inclusion of IV infusions on the Prohibited List given the intent of some athletes to manipulate their plasma volume levels in order to mask the use of a prohibited substance and/or to distort the values in the Athlete Biological Passport. Further, it must be clearly stated that the use of IV fluid replacement following exercise to correct mild rehydration or help speed recovery is not clinically indicated nor substantiated by the medical literature. There is a well-established body of scientific opinion to confirm that oral rehydration is the preferred therapeutic choice. Legitimate medical indications for IV infusions are well documented and are most commonly associated with medical emergencies (emergency TUE), in-patient care, surgery, or clinical investigations for diagnostic purposes."

all IV infusions and/or injections of more than 50mL (~3.4 tablespoons) per 6-hour period are prohibited, except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital admissions, surgical procedures or clinical investigations.

IV's are not banned. Receiving an IV with no reasonable medical documentation on the other hand is. People should be more concerned that BJ couldn't come up with a good reason to have an IV rather than being mad he has gotten punished for it.

Some reports suggest that administration of IV infusions, including dietary supplement and vitamin cocktails, are being provided to athletes for recuperation, recovery or lifestyle reasons. This medical practice is prohibited at all times without prior TUE approval. WADA has justified the inclusion of IV infusions on the Prohibited List given the intent of some athletes to manipulate their plasma volume levels in order to mask the use of a prohibited substance and/or to distort the values in the Athlete Biological Passport.

I'm not trying to insinuate that BJ was taking anything he shouldn't have been, but the rules have been established to limit his ability to do so. I can't understand why the conversations seem to focus exclusively on re-hydration. Outside of competition this is highly unlikely to be the reason for usage.

The timelines on this are what bothers me most:

BJ is now claiming that he informed the testers that he had taken a banned IV 2 months ago and only now they have decided to enforce the policy/have him removed from a card....? @dimspace any idea as to why? Did an unacceptable amount of plastic or something else show in the blood work?

BJ is now claiming that he informed the testers that he had taken a banned IV 2 months ago and only now they have decided to enforce the policy/have him removed from a card....? @dimspace any idea as to why? Did an unacceptable amount of plastic or something else show in the blood work?

My guess is they gave time to BJ to provide the relevant documentation to show that it was "conducted by a medical professional in a medical environment" so that they could issue a TUE.

If thats the case, then assumedly BJ was unable to provide such documentation.

But thats purely a guess as to why its taken 2 months for it to reach this point, there are other possibilities, thats just the most likely.

But but but but muh prodigy

It's official now...BJ has failed in pre fight preparation in every possible way.

USADA sucks because it's basically turned into like the IRS, trying to catch people who weren't trying to cheat but didn't read the fine print. I like random testing etc, but Machida got pulled for taking vitamins and now BJ got pulled for getting an IV several months ago.

I'd prefer they focus their efforts on actual cheaters rather than looking for ways to bump their numbers by busting guys who aren't even on PEDs. I don't even care to see BJ fight anymore, but it seems like a silly reason to suspend him.

didnt-read-lol-dancing-bodybuilder.gif

USADA sucks because it's basically turned into like the IRS, trying to catch people who weren't trying to cheat but didn't read the fine print. I like random testing etc, but Machida got pulled for taking vitamins and now BJ got pulled for getting an IV several months ago.

I'd prefer they focus their efforts on actual cheaters rather than looking for ways to bump their numbers by busting guys who aren't even on PEDs. I don't even care to see BJ fight anymore, but it seems like a silly reason to suspend him.
Very well said, agreed.

How would you feel if BJ Had tested positive for Diuretics?

(I ask this because diuretics and iv are both banned for exactly the same reason so the offence is essentially the same, the difference being one involves a positive test, the other doesnt)

http://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibit...g-iv-infusions-for-re-hydration-and-recovery/

"We have seen an increase in inquires at USADA about the use of Intravenous (IV) Infusions for this purpose, and would like to assist athletes and medical personnel by offering education. In accordance with the WADA Prohibited List (Category M2 Chemical and Physical Manipulation), all IV infusions and/or injections of more than 50mL (~3.4 tablespoons) per 6-hour period are prohibited, except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital admissions, surgical procedures or clinical investigations. IV infusions and/or injections of more than 50mL per 6-hour period are prohibited at all times, both in- and out-of-competition unless the athlete has applied for and been granted a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) under the applicable anti-doping rules. Further, if a prohibited substance that is administered intravenously or via injection, a TUE is necessary for this substance regardless of volume.

Some reports suggest that administration of IV infusions, including dietary supplement and vitamin cocktails, are being provided to athletes for recuperation, recovery or lifestyle reasons. This medical practice is prohibited at all times without prior TUE approval. WADA has justified the inclusion of IV infusions on the Prohibited List given the intent of some athletes to manipulate their plasma volume levels in order to mask the use of a prohibited substance and/or to distort the values in the Athlete Biological Passport. Further, it must be clearly stated that the use of IV fluid replacement following exercise to correct mild rehydration or help speed recovery is not clinically indicated nor substantiated by the medical literature. There is a well-established body of scientific opinion to confirm that oral rehydration is the preferred therapeutic choice. Legitimate medical indications for IV infusions are well documented and are most commonly associated with medical emergencies (emergency TUE), in-patient care, surgery, or clinical investigations for diagnostic purposes."

all IV infusions and/or injections of more than 50mL (~3.4 tablespoons) per 6-hour period are prohibited, except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital admissions, surgical procedures or clinical investigations.

IV's are not banned. Receiving an IV with no reasonable medical documentation on the other hand is. People should be more concerned that BJ couldn't come up with a good reason to have an IV rather than being mad he has gotten punished for it.

Some reports suggest that administration of IV infusions, including dietary supplement and vitamin cocktails, are being provided to athletes for recuperation, recovery or lifestyle reasons. This medical practice is prohibited at all times without prior TUE approval. WADA has justified the inclusion of IV infusions on the Prohibited List given the intent of some athletes to manipulate their plasma volume levels in order to mask the use of a prohibited substance and/or to distort the values in the Athlete Biological Passport.

I'm not trying to insinuate that BJ was taking anything he shouldn't have been, but the rules have been established to limit his ability to do so. I can't understand why the conversations seem to focus exclusively on re-hydration. Outside of competition this is highly unlikely to be the reason for usage.

The timelines on this are what bothers me most:

You can argue their punishments are too harsh, see Nick Diaz and Chael Sonnen

You can argue their punishments are too harsh, see Nick Diaz and Chael Sonnen

None of those 2 were punished by USADA. You are mixing up USADA and NSAC. If you have a gripe with their punishments take it up with the Nevada athletic commision.

IVs are used to mask PED usage and for blood doping, which is why they're banned. If you need to use one for a legit medical reason, you are able to do so, you just need the proper paperwork and/or permission. If BJ used an IV during training without having the proper paperwork and/or permission, there's no way for USADA to know that he wasn't using it to cheat. Considering it seems pretty easy to get cleared to use an IV for a legit medical reason, it begs the question as to why he didn't do so and why he was apparently unable to provide the proper paperwork over the past two months. The way so many are so quick to assert that BJ didn't do anything wrong and is getting screwed on a technicality smacks of wishful thinking and/or willful ignorance at this point.

So you should get a two year ban for using an IV three months before your fight?

"IVs are for wimps" - The BJ Penn

Maybe by 'wimps' he meant Weakly Interacting Massive Particles?

TLDR. I bet you're fun at parties TS.

IVs are used to mask PED usage and for blood doping, which is why they're banned. If you need to use one for a legit medical reason, you are able to do so, you just need the proper paperwork and/or permission. If BJ used an IV during training without having the proper paperwork and/or permission, there's no way for USADA to know that he wasn't using it to cheat. Considering it seems pretty easy to get cleared to use an IV for a legit medical reason, it begs the question as to why he didn't do so and why he was apparently unable to provide the proper paperwork over the past two months. The way so many are so quick to assert that BJ didn't do anything wrong and is getting screwed on a technicality smacks of wishful thinking and/or willful ignorance at this point.
C35B521D-D109-4841-95B3-5557129A9AEA_zpssqltcits.gif

I've never cared about ped's in the sport at all. Yes it gives fighters an edge, but they still have to be talented and put the work in. I know it's selfish of me as a fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing the best fighters science could make:D

so youre saying the sport would be less entertaining if fighters could take whatever they wanted?

Back