Has there ever been so many top fights canceled in a year?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
McGregor vs Dos Anjos
McGregor vs Diaz II
Khabib vs Tony Ferguson
Luke Rockhold vs Weidman II
Deontay Wilder vs Povetkin (boxing but still a potentially amazing fight)
Anderson SIlva vs Uriah Hall
Werdum vs Valesquez

Probably even forgot some fights

It's insane, and I don't believe the ole "There is nothing that can be done about it" argument.

Don't forget Jones vs Cormier II

Yeah this year has been pretty shitty in terms of fight cancellations for sure. The only year that comes to mind that would parallel this would be 2012.

GSP vs Diaz
JDS vs Overeem
Jones vs Henderson
Cruz vs Faber
Aldo vs Koch
Wand vs Vitor

Those are a few off the top of my head. I remember like a lot of main events that year were a result of being replacement fights.

Watching MMA news this year got me all:

200w.gif

When you go from having a handful of events a year to a handful of events every month you'll get more fights called off for all types of reasons.

Yeah this year has been pretty shitty in terms of fight cancellations for sure. The only year that comes to mind that would parallel this would be 2012.

GSP vs Diaz
JDS vs Overeem
Jones vs Henderson
Cruz vs Faber
Aldo vs Koch
Wand vs Vitor

Those are a few off the top of my head. I remember like a lot of main events that year were a result of being replacement fights.

Whats scary is that we aren't even half way through the year.. I'm still crossing my fingers Cruz doesnt get hurt right before the Faber fight again lol

Whats scary is that we aren't even half way through the year.. I'm still crossing my fingers Cruz doesnt get hurt right before the Faber fight again lol

Dude go knock on wood you just cursed Cruz ahaha.

When you go from having a handful of events a year to a handful of events every month you'll get more fights called off for all types of reasons.

I agree, except that this has been way worse than 2014 and 2015 which had virtually the same number of events

Dude go knock on wood you just cursed Cruz ahaha.

Nah I said like 2 months ago that I thought the fight would never happen, but amazingly Weidman was the one to pull out of that card

Nah I said like 2 months ago that I thought the fight would never happen, but amazingly Weidman was the one to pull out of that card

These days I don't believe a fight will happen until they step into the octagon.

These days I don't believe a fight will happen until they step into the octagon.
or within 2 weeks of the fight.

Someone else noted that most of the time, the fighters bitch out at around that 2 week mark.

or within 2 weeks of the fight.

Someone else noted that most of the time, the fighters bitch out at around that 2 week mark.

Some fights will even make it until the day of the weigh ins before a fighter pulls out because of weight issues or they have the flu or whatever reason. Craziness

I agree. This is the absolute worst, and IMHO, there is NO REASON for the UFC NOT to ban all unaffiliated training facilities immediately, or sell the business (ASAP) that is unsustainable without such drastic action.

Truth be told, Dana & the UFC brass began killing the UFC circa 2010 with the dramatic, drastic, unjustified increase in the overall fighter roster size.

The UFC went from around 200 of the best MMA fighters on Earth competing for extremely limited fight slots to put their talents on display 3 or so times per year. Today the UFC employs over 620 on the total roster (F-tards & fighters combined).

FFS TS, there is the same damn 365 days in a year, 52 weeks in a year. The FUCKING EXTREMELY LIMITED fight slots in 2009 for the 200 great professional fighters have not increased at all today in 2016 for 620+ (collection of fighters?).

Instead of getting to see among the best 200 MMA fighters on the planet compete 3+ times per year, we now have the opportunity to watch this collection of good and bad (do what they do) around 1.4 times per year.

The UFC pre 2010 could have been considered the highest level of MMA as Professional Sport. Now there is no viable competition (for the UFC in top talent), and the frequency of competition between the top ranked fighters has declined to a point that no longer supports a true sport that's title shot selection is based on relative rankings of the top fighters (that no longer compete against one another of any significant frequency). It (MMA) is now strictly spectacle (albeit fascinating)

Like it or not, this is fact. I fucking hate it more than sin.

I am however in the minority. The prohibitive extreme vast majority of MMA fans want NOTHING TO DO with "sports" involved in MMA. Most just want this type of "spectacle" without the limitations presented by a straight ranking based title contention combat sport format.

Fights like McGregor vs. Diaz @ 170 have ZERO fucking chance in a 100% ranking based title contention combat sport format that I describe above. The sanctity of the "sport" means LESS THAN ZERO to children and immature MMA fans demanding their spectacle. PPV has spoken clearly, and decided what has won in the world of MMA.

Spectacle has walked all over Sport. It wasn't even close. In fact, it was the first death in the UFC.

R.I.P. MMA as a sport!

TS, you are still ACTING like a idealist. Best case scenario, all of these "top" fights getting cancelled you mention are adding up POSSIBLY to 1.4 per year per fighter.

Who gives a rats rectum if the top (say 15 ranked) fighters miss 1 of their 1.4 fights per year??????

Why would you even raise this point?

FFS, we have over 100 total LW's and WW's on the UFC roster to provide spectacle for you! Why sweat a fight with a couple of ranked fighters getting cancelled when you have completely and totally worthless F-tards not ranked in the top 50 chaffing at the bit to compete in the Octagon on a moments notice for peanuts?

This is now MMA (a 100% spectacle). Get used to it, the decision has been made. Deal with it!

Putting jacare against belfort was a stupid decision just to appease the brazilian crowd and was a nothing fight. Now we lost jacare from the title picture when he should have been fighting rockhold as soon as romero got popped but no dana had to go with the rematch. The both get injured so we are left with bisping.

Romero, jacare and wiedman will all be back at the same time, who the hell gets the next shot and who do you put against each other.

Thanks usada or whatever the hell its called

Back