MMA turning into what? UFC turning into what? Fastest growing sport? Really?

Raziel82

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm not half as active as many people here. But what is up? Loads of fights being cancelled, USADA, Joe Rogan gone, Coker messing up Bellator, McGregor wants to humiliate MMA by organizing a boxing match with Mayweather, Dana White selling the UFC, MMA Fighting posting articles from MMA hour interviews the week after.

I know there are many threads about MMA dying, which I usually don't read. But there is no doubt MMA is on a crossroad. What will happen next?

I was very happy with the first UFC event in the Netherlands, maybe some kickboxing talent will make the transition to MMA!

Anyway, in my country the build up is still that it is the fastest rising sport (the shit Dana was spreading a few years back), but I really doubt it. It's taking a turn for the worse. Am I completely off? Next to Football (voetbal), MMA is the only sport I enjoy watching, so this would suck.

Your're taking some rumours very seriously

Joe Rogan gone, not happening
Coker messing up Bellator, some tentpoles, not every fight
McGregor wants to humiliate MMA by organizing a boxing match with Mayweather, not happening
Dana White selling the UFC, not happening
MMA Fighting posting articles from MMA hour interviews the week after. what?

MMA without PRIDE is garbage and a worldwide ban is necessary.

I'm not half as active as many people here. But what is up? Loads of fights being cancelled, USADA, Joe Rogan gone, Coker messing up Bellator, McGregor wants to humiliate MMA by organizing a boxing match with Mayweather, Dana White selling the UFC, MMA Fighting posting articles from MMA hour interviews the week after.

I know there are many threads about MMA dying, which I usually don't read. But there is no doubt MMA is on a crossroad. What will happen next?

I was very happy with the first UFC event in the Netherlands, maybe some kickboxing talent will make the transition to MMA!

Anyway, in my country the build up is still that it is the fastest rising sport (the shit Dana was spreading a few years back), but I really doubt it. It's taking a turn for the worse. Am I completely off? Next to Football (voetbal), MMA is the only sport I enjoy watching, so this would suck.

Fights have always been cancelled,not exactly a sharp up turn there.Usada is good for the sport and provides alot of talking points when guys you hoped were clean get busted.Joe rogan isnt gone.He said he will leave if they sell the ufc but he is still there.Coker isnt messing up Bellator there getting there best ratings,in a few years they may be able to do away with the freak show matches and have guys like Brooks and chandler headline and do big numbers.

How is conor vs floyd any different from Anderson vs roy jones jnr?It will never happen but will create free publicity.Dana isnt the majority owner of the ufc he cant sell it.They will probably sell 10 percent to a chinese media group and get into china.And complain to mma fighting or tweet luke thomas he is the senior editor there and tell him to get his shit together

MMA is in no way shape or form the fastest growing sport in the world.

I've been feeling like Rogan is going to leave for a while. Listening to his podcast, he's mentioned that learning more about concussions has him questioning his involvement in the sport, he's also been up in the air about his contract renewal that is ending in July/August I think. Pair that with the rumor (that's also been hinted at for a while) of the UFC sale, which I also see happening, I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year we see a very different UFC.

All of the cash grab immediate rematches to me kinda point towards them selling the UFC. I don't really see a way to make it grow exponentially more, and I don't say that MMA is dying, but I could see this being at least near it's peak (Buy low, sell high). Where other sports like football, basketball, etc. have tweaked rules that have increased entertainment value and brought in more fans, I don't see how MMA could tweak things to keep drawing in more people. Them finally getting MMA in NY will probably help the sell more, but I think the actual value of that isn't a big as the buyers may think. Just my opinion.

200w.gif

McGregor wants to humiliate MMA by organizing a boxing match with Mayweather, not happening

After denial is acceptance.

Sport has gone to the dogs. It's just not as exciting as it used to be.

The grappling component has really changed, and for the worse to be honest. Wrestleboxers are dominating the sport and it's starting to look like a shitty version of K1.

After denial is acceptance.

Sport has gone to the dogs. It's just not as exciting as it used to be.

The grappling component has really changed, and for the worse to be honest. Wrestleboxers are dominating the sport and it's starting to look like a shitty version of K1.

Go watch Kickboxing, then , and stop posting here to air your whiney grievances .

So what if 3 of he 5 rumours are happening?

MMA Fighting usually a legit website for MMA articles. Last week on MMA Hour Ariel had an interview with JDS and Nelson. Day after an article was published with a part of the interview, two days after that again artcile from same interview, and yesterrday the sour grape part of the interview from a week before. Same with the Roy Nelson interview. Meaning there is no news if they have to spread it like this? That's what I read into it.

McGregor wants to humiliate MMA by organizing a boxing match with Mayweather,

I don't see how he'd be humiliating MMA. Honestly, if there's any way possible to get that fight, he'd be crazy not to take it. I feel like McGregor Wants to be a legend, where other fighters are fine being great fighters.

...and don't forget, the UFC once held a fight between former two-division champion Randy Couture and 0-0 James Toney.

MMA is in no way shape or form the fastest growing sport in the world.

I mean, it probably is, based on the fact that it's relatively new and has gotten this far in basically 20 years. Going from basically a niche, regional exhibition, to becoming a fairly mainstream, worldwide sport in 2 decades is pretty fast. So it's not too crazy to think that it's still growing fast, relative to other sports that have stagnant growth even though they are more popular by sheer numbers.

I think the sport is in a better place than it ever has been, and is set up for a better future. USADA is a good thing but there will be growing pains. People like Joe Rogan distancing themselves from the sport is a good thing. MMA having a start as big as Conor is a good thing.

UFC is turning into a soap opera for men

Dana White can't sell the UFC. He could sell 10% at best.

Its becoming a drama and is becoming a sports entertainment these days.

Mma is probably the fastest growing sport. Good luck ever being as big as soccer worldwide.

MMA is fine and thriving. This thread gets made every month after a lacklustre ppv.

Since we are both from Holland, i truly think MMA is on a meteoric rise in our country. A few years ago most people i know thought of MMA as a sport of hugging, where kickboxing was the real martial art.

Nowadays basically everyone i know knows Ronda and Conor, and most of them don't even watch MMA.

The sport will never be big as far as active fighters go since it is a REALLY demanding sport, but as far as fans go MMA still has a lot of growing to do in Holland (and other countries for that matter).

I really don't see the problem. MMA seems to only get bigger tbh.

UFC is done thats why Fertitta bros and Dana trying to sell the company

Back