Would all the champs still be champ if UFC was in a ring?

OrigFan255

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
With the exception of Japanese MMA, almost all MMA organizations seem to take place in a cage.
Rizin is in a ring as was Pride.
I also believe that the ring favors the stand up fighter. Fighters that love to bull charge their opponent can get tired very quickly OR, even get knocked out and thrown out the ring, all in the same motion (Rampage vs. Wandy 2)

Anyone believe that some of the current UFC champs skills would not hold up in a ring OR, you believe they all would adapt and keep their belts?

Couture would not have had as much success in a ring. He used the cage to his advantage more effectively than any fighter I can think of.

I think they all could adapt but I think Cruz and Jones will be most affected. Cruz likes to use movement and footwork he would have to try not to get stalked in a corner. Most of Jones takedowns come from clinch which uses a fence verses a rope. That will be a minor transition though.

Any wall and stallers wouldt do well obviously.

But the current champs dont really have that style.

So yea they would probably be just fine.

While it might be harder to get the takedown, I think the reward is greater when you factor in knees to the head. We would see a lot more people trying to advance to north-south position.

I think most the current champs would adapt fairly well to a ring. Probably much easier than some of the past champ who used the cage as a bigger part of their offense.

If Werdum would have fought Fedor that time in a ring I don't see Werdum getting that sub. Werdum used the cage(legally) but he still used it and Fedor was only in his 2nd fight in a cage. Just not fair, not to mention Fedor's other 2 losses were to trt. Fedor never really lost. Deal with it people.

If Werdum would have fought Fedor that time in a ring I don't see Werdum getting that sub. Werdum used the cage(legally) but he still used it and Fedor was only in his 2nd fight in a cage. Just not fair, not to mention Fedor's other 2 losses were to trt. Fedor never really lost. Deal with it people.

Ha ha fucking love the logic... I'm with you man

Quit your bitching.

Ignorant

in before hundreds of deluded nut huggers claim that shogun would be champ if it weren't for soccer kicks and the octagon

With the exception of Japanese MMA, almost all MMA organizations seem to take place in a cage.
Rizin is in a ring as was Pride.
I also believe that the ring favors the stand up fighter. Fighters that love to bull charge their opponent can get tired very quickly OR, even get knocked out and thrown out the ring, all in the same motion (Rampage vs. Wandy 2)

Anyone believe that some of the current UFC champs skills would not hold up in a ring OR, you believe they all would adapt and keep their belts?

Rings on paper should favor strikers, but strangely it was in Pride that we see the most grappling, and good grappling, not the crap that passes for grappling in the UFC. And when I watched Rizin lately I saw the same kinds of awesome scrambles and transitions in grappling, stuff you rarely see in the UFC.

For some reason, the UFC has devolved into some kind of striker's game where Wrestle Boxers just duke it out until someone scores a lucky hit. Whereas in Rizin today we see that kind of fight but we also see a lot of fun grappling exchanges. Heck, when Overeem was in Pride he still used to take people down a lot and smash them on the ground. These days all he does is stand and strike.

So what? Is the ring really helping strikers or not?

Seems like the Cage is more conducive to striking, if anything.

Part of the reason I think is that in cage grappling, you can use the cage to push off, wall walk, or other stupid crap. And everyone relies on it. In the ring, there is nothing. It's closer to pure grappling than the cage. So while the smaller ring gives strikers an advantage in cutting off opponents, it seems that takedowns occur more often because no cage, and once down you need to use actual grappling skills to get up rather than rely on the cage.

While it might be harder to get the takedown, I think the reward is greater when you factor in knees to the head. We would see a lot more people trying to advance to north-south position.

I don't see the ring as making it harder to get the takedown. Sure if the opponent does a foul and grabs the ropes to prevent the takedown yeah -- but fighters do that too sometimes grabbing the cage. Not as often as it happens with the ropes though, but I think it's instinctive to hold on to the ropes when you are being taken down. It's just so inviting to hold on.

If anything, the ring makes it easier to get a takedown. No cage = no wall to stand up against to prevent the takedown. None of that against-the-cage shit and pushing against the cage and using it to prevent a takedown. Takedowns are more pure in the ring because TDD is pure technique, none of this Wall and Stall crap.

JFK would still be alive.

I think they all could adapt but I think Cruz and Jones will be most affected. Cruz likes to use movement and footwork he would have to try not to get stalked in a corner. Most of Jones takedowns come from clinch which uses a fence verses a rope. That will be a minor transition though.

Not that minor. The dynamics are totally different, and Jones can't do his clinch fence work at all. He'd have to go back to his old style of using upper body clinches for tosses in the center of the cage. I don't think he's been doing that lately.

Cruz would probably hate the ring as you mentioned. The guy likes his space.

Mouse should be more or less the same. he's good at adapting to any situation.
Conor would probably have an easier time in the ring.
Stipe would probably be more effective in the ring.

in before hundreds of deluded nut huggers claim that shogun would be champ if it weren't for soccer kicks and the octagon

That's not even one of the bigger issues with Shogun. You could actually argue that Shogun is undefeated. Injuries, rule changes, debut in the UFC/octagon jitters and knee injury, freak injury against Coleman, bs decision with Hendo which should have been a draw not to mention trt, Hendo 2 was trt as well, Sonnen was on everything, OSP beat him when his chin was shot, Jones beat him when he had injured his knee again not to mention the lucky knee Jones landed in the first minute causing Shogun to not even be in the rest of the fight, and he lost to a prime Babalu when he was only like 19, biggest robbery ever in the first fight with Machida. So wtf. You can't argue the facts. If you try to, then there's no one in the history of mma that can claim what went wrong like Shogun can. Legit as they come. The excuses are actually real.

You could actually argue that Shogun is undefeated. Injuries,
Just-stop-GIF.gif

I find Fedor to be one of the most badass and legitimately inspiring fighters out there. That said...SSTTAAHHPP! You're making us look bad brohammer

Cro Cop had problems with cage and unified rules in his first UFC run while his body still wasn't that wear down. Probably the best example of style that does not suite the cage.
On the other hand if we look at former champ Cain Velasquez and his style of pushing opponents to the cage with head and shoulders all the time and using short distance boxing on the fence. He would do nowhere that good in a ring. Cain's style is similar to Couture's who lost 3 fight's in Japan to Inoue, Russian guy and V. Overeem.
And in fights v Inoue and older brother Overeem, he was then current UFC HW champion. So he decided not to go to PRIDE and fight the best, but instead to collect belts in minor league that UFC was in 2000's.

Back