How would Gustafsson vs Rockhold go?

MCMXCIX

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Not sure if Gus would make MW. It would be a good move for him. Theres a bunch of fights that would be great for him at MW. But the one that keeps getting stuck in my head is Gustafsson vs Rockhold. Maybe Rockhold moves up to LHW after a few more fights?

How do you think it'll play out?

I'd say Gus vs TKO RD-3. :)

sounds like an explosvive match up.....
reminds me of when i heard condit and diaz where gonna fight......
ytfiytfiytf.jpg

Gus is enormous, he's never going to middleweight

If at MW the fight is canceled when Gus dies in the sauna. At LHW it is appealing.

Gus lit up Jones, as well as outwrestled him.

He would annihilate Luke.

I find it odd how Luke is able to make 185. A man who stands 6'3 and carries a good deal of muscle would normally tip the scales at around 220. Even taking into consideration how lean he gets, it's still bizarre how he makes that weight.

Gus dances around him and punches him in the face for 5 rounds.

93T0FmI.gif

Like this.

Gus the better boxer/striker Luke the overall better martial artist I would lean towards Luke just for being what I think of as the more complete fighter.

So much Gus love. Warms the sub-cockles of my black heart. Luke wins by virtue of better athleticism and a more well rounded MMA game.

Luke wouldn't be able to force his ground game and Gus would simply outstrike him.

Gus the better boxer/striker Luke the overall better martial artist I would lean towards Luke just for being what I think of as the more complete fighter.

Being complete is nice but it matters not when you cant take your opponent down. Far better wrestlers than Rockhold havent been able to take or keep Gus down. Gus pieces him up for 5 rounds.

Gus is 6 ft 5 with not much muscle mass or fat. He'd never make MW.

If Luke moved up I think he'd get out struck and maybe even finished with one Gus' sneaky uppercuts.

It would only happen if rockhold goes to lhw which is easily do-able.
Gus would win imo. He's too big, too tough and would outstrike rockhold .
Rockhold is the better all around fighter but I just don't see him getting gus down or out striking him

Luke is big enough to fight at LHW and claims that he will eventually...
http://www.mmamania.com/2015/6/2/87...nd-title-shot-after-beating-chris-weidman-mma
Luke Rockhold eyes 205-pound title shot after beating Chris Weidman
"If I'm going to 205, it's going to be nothing except to challenge for the title. I'm not going up for any fights in between. I would definitely be... I mean I have a lot of work to do here at 185. But as long as I have the belt there and the belt's on the line at 205, I'd be happy to move up and take that shot."

Jones couldn't take Gus down. If Luke can't wrestle then I can't see him outstriking such a lengthy striker as Gus. I think Gus takes the decision.

I'd pick Gus over Rockhold because he is the bigger fighter with better striking. If Luke manages to take down Gus then I can see him submitting Gus.

Back