Why doesn't Maia submit people liek he used too?

Killme

The NoGi Bear
@Green
Reaction score
I know he got the tap last time, but it ended late and i wonder if brown fights more if that was round one.

Fact is, Maia has tapped just 3 people in his last 19 fights since Chael Sonnen. When he first came into the UFC he was tapping people like crazy, really easy. 5 guys in a row.

These days he seems to play it safe, more than happy to hold positon ( consdiering he sometimes gasses this might be more dangerious) and will only go for a hasty sub right at the end of the round, often a sloppy due to that haste.

I know he got the tap last time, but it ended late and i wonder if brown fights more if that was round one.

Fact is, Maia has tapped just 3 people in his last 19 fights since Chael Sonnen. When he first came into the UFC he was tapping people like crazy, really easy. 5 guys in a row.

These days he seems to play it safe, more than happy to hold positon ( consdiering he sometimes gasses this might be more dangerious) and will only go for a hasty sub right at the end of the round, often a sloppy due to that haste.
People learn to defend against subs more than anything else.
Besides, with the confidence he can take down almost anyone (as he is proving he can do), he just takes a more relaxed approach.

Because it's way easier to defend submission s than it is to get them, and everyone these days in MMA knows submission defense, and a lot of guys just train defense.

But the people he tapped at the start were not terrible... even Sonnen i think has a deceptive record, he knows his defence.

when you face maia, the number one thing on your mind is probably to defend submissions, so they train it all during camp and then in the fight thats all theyre looking to do is not get in a situation where they can get submitted

First 2 responses hit it on the head. He's fighting a little tougher competition plus everyone knows sub defense now and doesn't take risks against him. If a guy takes risks against you, you can catch him in a submission sometimes. However if the other guys's #1 goal is to play defense and avoid submissions it's tough to catch them. Guys would rather play safe and lose a decision than take a risk and lose by submission.

People are aware of Demian's Jiu Jitsu and probably pay more attention to submission defense.
Demian, for his turn, can take dominant positions and no let'em go. If he can set a submission taking less risks (like leting the position go or gassing out) there is no point in being more agressive. At the end of the day, he'll get the victory, by sub or points, a safe game plan is the wise choice for Demian.

Some call it a boring style, but as Jiu Jitsu fan, I really like seeing Demian make good grapplers look as amateur. It's beautiful

inde.jpg reminds me of jorge grugel..
very well could have tapped everyone he stepped in the octagon with, but chose to stand and bang.. 14-10 first 9 wins by sub..

9ycWtQu.gif

Pretty much what everyone else said,You get guys who are blackbelts but there game revolves around defense not offense like rashad.

Pretty much what everyone else said,You get guys who are blackbelts but there game revolves around defense not offense like rashad.

I feel like he has also lost some of the speed that he used to lock up submissons with, not surprising considering his age.

You... are the simplistic one, not me. Go play else where CHILD!

If he's getting the sub or not he's on the doorstep of a title shot.

You answered it TS. He is fighting safe.

And that is perfectly OK. When you try to force the sub or get aggressive trying to gain a more dominant position to get the sub you risk losing control. The new WW Maia is all about control. Control first and foremost and sub's only when the opponent opens up.

The new Maia fights more like Fitch and puts his opponents in the position where they realize they are going to lose a dominant decision or they must take some risks in trying to escape. Some may be content to lose the decision but others like Brown will try to scramble creating the opening for Maia to finish.

And that is exactly what Maia should do. If others are content to lose decisions then let them. Its not up to Maia to take the risks when he is winning the fights easily.

Submitting someone is fucking hard, I know firsthand.

1. MMA fighters of today and a few years ago are better than before than guys in 2007.
2. Maia didnt make his enterance at the MWd vs the top dogs of the division, he made his ww debut vs john fitch...
3.He got 3 finishes out of 19, he lost 6 out of those 19, so that makes it 3 out of 13, then he got a tko (injury) that makes it 3 out of 13, then you have k1 maia, he was hardly going to sub someone if he didnt even tray to take the fight to the ground, the fight with miller was basically a k1 fight. So there you go.

It is way more accurate to say that he finished 4 out of 8 figths at ww, 50% rate submission going vs fitch story and gunnar isnt bad. He is no toquiño, hes a much more methodical grappler now days too.

Fighters are better today. It's not that easy anymore.
And besides Maia is not as great as everybody is apparently thinking lately...

What an embarrassing thread.

Back