The first UFC Super Fight

Myrddin Wild

~Eternal We Are~
@Steel
Reaction score
The Editorial Director for Zuffa wrote an article on the UFC website called: “Countdown to UFC 200: Landmark moments” where he calls UFC 40 Ortiz vs. Shamrock “The first superfight.”

Meanwhile, back at UFC 5...

Within his opening comments Bruce Beck referred to UFC 5 shamrock vs. Gracie as “the first UFC super fight.”

Not only waz the first superfight in UFC 5... but in UFC 6 they had a "Superfight Championship." they also did superfights in 8, 9 & 10.

I don’t have a space book account so I couldn’t comment under the article. Maybe someone here could do it.

upload_2016-5-23_8-34-20.pngupload_2016-5-23_8-35-41.pngupload_2016-5-23_8-36-29.pngupload_2016-5-23_8-37-1.pngupload_2016-5-23_8-37-26.png

Last edited:
It's UFC 200. They are scrambling to hype up a good card that missed out on being a great card. They'll say anything at this point.

Soon it will be a "once in a lifetime show"

Tito vs Ken was the 1st fight to gain attention outside of hardcore fans and the 1st ppv made available down here. It was the 1st true super fighter media and interest wise

Probably because the Fertittas didn't own the UFC back then?

UFC 5 was defiantly the first super fight, and it was billed as that. I remember Gracie and Shamrock were supposed to meet at UFC 3 when Ken won his fight and Gracie won his fight.. but Kimo hurt him and Gracie could not continue so they made them fight a special fight in UFC 5 without the tournament. In todays rules Shamrock won a unanimous decision in that fight

Why does this bother you?

Thingz must be organized & in their proper place. If the syrup is on the table after the pancakes, then it will definitely be too late.

Last edited:
Anytime ken "most dangerous man on the planet" shamrock fights its a superfight

Ken vs kimbo = superfight
Ken vs tito = superfight
Ken vs royce 3 = superfight
Ken vs father time = superfight

Would UFC 6 be considered the 1st title fight? They called it “The Superfight Championship.”

What makes a fight a "superfight"?

If it is a juicer vs. a clean athlete then, Royce vs. Ken takes the cake.

Anytime ken "most dangerous man on the planet" shamrock fights its a superfight

Ken vs kimbo = superfight
Ken vs tito = superfight
Ken vs royce 3 = superfight
Ken vs father time = superfight

Yeah, Ken waz in the first 4 superfights... & even in the one from UFC 40. See what those abs will get ya! War Northcutt!

Shamrock was a superhero back then, so all of his fights were super

Shamrock was the "Superfight champion" long before UFC 40. Not that it matters it's all about hyping whatever is current.

Zuffa didn't own them until around 2000 so I don't think they care much about the earlier fights.

That was pre-Zuffa, bro. That means it didn't happen.

"Superfight" is just a generic term that's been thrown around so many times it's lost any value it had.

Just a little correction: They had superfights in UFC's 5-9. I know the box for UFC 10 says otherwise, but the box is wrong. Coleman vs. Frye was the final of the 8-man tournament. UFC 7 had Shamrock vs. Taktarov, with Shamrock defending his Superfight Championship with a draw.

Shamrock vs. Severn 2 was so pitifully terrible, the worst fight in MMA history. The crowd in Detroit started chanting "Let's Go Red Wings!" when they got tired of booing.

Severn "lost" his Superfight Championship to Coleman in UFC 12 in the first official UFC heavyweight title fight.

Back