Why do fighters constantly play right into each other's strengths?

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I was watching some classic Tyson fights and it's really surprising how often Tyson's opponents would come right out and start winging punches toe-to-toe with him like they had no respect for his power (of course most of them were knocked out with a minute or two).

And the same thing seems to happen in MMA. Fighters who are known for something seem to have some spell cast over their opponents where their opponents dive right into their strength. People used to try to stand and bang with Chuck all the time (maybe they just couldn't take him down), Zingano charged right into a Judo throw against Rousey etc etc.

Are reputations that important? Or are some fighters just THAT good at imposing their will?

If you beat a popular fighter with a strategy that avoids his strengths you're forever marked a pussy by legions of fans.

The Nick Diaz legions are STILL sore about the fact that Condit didn't just stand in front of him trading punches.

As for Tyson, no clue why half of them even signed that contract.
In the case of Zingano, she likely thought she could swarm Ronda and connect with enough to put her on her back.
That adrenaline got to her though, and she was reckless.
Most people not named Joe Rogan knew that Ronda's standup was not elite, and was by far her weakness.
In most cases though, realistically, they just want to keep the opponent honest, and if they enjoy some success, then they keep at it until an opportunity to bring it to their strength presents itself.
Or, you know, the concept of setting up your shot with strikes, and your strikes with your shots.

If you beat a popular fighter with a strategy that avoids his strengths you're forever marked a pussy by legions of fans.

The Nick Diaz legions are STILL sore about the fact that Condit didn't just stand in front of him trading punches.
That's because he was running away flicking weak kicks out. He even said he was embarrassed about that fight and that he plan was to fight scared.

It's not just the Diaz legion, there are plenty of us who feel cheated, like we were sold a bill of goods.
Condit never fought like that before, and hasn't since. He did that to himself, and lost more fans than if he would have lost.
Sure, it got him a title shot, but I'll never waste 15 minutes watching another Condit fight. I'll catch the highlights.

That's because he was running away flicking weak kicks out. He even said he was embarrassed about that fight and that he plan was to fight scared.
He was outlanding Nick and there was nothing Nick could do about it. Standing in the pocket would've been stupid against someone like Nick, when it's so easy to outmaneuver him.

Poor game planning and low fight IQ, then there's the whole pride thing.

I was watching some classic Tyson fights and it's really surprising how often Tyson's opponents would come right out and start winging punches toe-to-toe with him like they had no respect for his power (of course most of them were knocked out with a minute or two).

And the same thing seems to happen in MMA. Fighters who are known for something seem to have some spell cast over their opponents where their opponents dive right into their strength. People used to try to stand and bang with Chuck all the time (maybe they just couldn't take him down), Zingano charged right into a Judo throw against Rousey etc etc.

Are reputations that important? Or are some fighters just THAT good at imposing their will?
Like you said Chuck had really good takedown defense so most would go for a takedown in the beginning then realize it wasn't gonna happen. Most fighters are forced into other fighters strengths. Maia has good takedowns and aside from Chael I've never really seen someone choose to grapple with Maia. Rousey would bum rush into the clinch and I think Zingano threw a knee and got taken down. The only time I've really seen someone do this is if they both have the same strength so they have a false belief they are stronger. I don't think it's to test their skills because that's not how you win fights.

They probably expect to lose, so they go all out Hail Mary style while their still fresh. Better than getting beat down and going out without firing a shot.

Perceiving fighters going toe to toe with Tyson as being stupid would mean that they had a better option. Like, staying on the outside and...jabbing the shit out of him? They probably would have done so if that was an actual possibility. It wasn't though, cause they didn't have the skills.

Cat tried to catch Ronda and surprise her by coming straight at her. Stupid in hindsight, not stupid in general. What was she supposed to do? Her best chance was trying to catch her of guard and make her go: "wait, what...?"

It's not just the Diaz legion, there are plenty of us who feel cheated, like we were sold a bill of goods.
Condit never fought like that before, and hasn't since. He did that to himself, and lost more fans than if he would have lost.
Sure, it got him a title shot, but I'll never waste 15 minutes watching another Condit fight. I'll catch the highlights.
Thanks for illustrating my point.

If you don't play into a popular fighters strengths the fans will hate you. That's why fighters adopt and implement stupid strategies.

I'm a nobody and certainly not a pro fighter, so I can only speak for myself: I've had frequent experiences in training where I'm working with a wrestler and will get the better of him, but then I get to competition and try to do what I was doing in training.

7172391428_6fc5ffce2f.jpg

After listening to actual fighters, I'm sure many of them have had the same experience.

Anxiety.

Some fighters get into the cage/ring and their anxiety kicks in, rendering their rational brain useless. From then on, they are actually incapable of thinking and fighting rationally (until their anxiety subsides).

Last edited:
Ego, pride, bad gameplans etc. That Zingano example, she didn`t expect to get into a judo throw, she probably thought about being the agressor since Ronda always comes out like that, and she wanted to surprise her, it could actually be a good gameplan if she didn`t prepare that knee so poorly, no technique behind and she tried to land while running foward which is very dificult to do, that made her not land the knee at all and she ended up in the clinch.

As for Tyson, no clue why half of them even signed that contract.
In the case of Zingano, she likely thought she could swarm Ronda and connect with enough to put her on her back.
That adrenaline got to her though, and she was reckless.
Most people not named Joe Rogan knew that Ronda's standup was not elite, and was by far her weakness.
In most cases though, realistically, they just want to keep the opponent honest, and if they enjoy some success, then they keep at it until an opportunity to bring it to their strength presents itself.
Or, you know, the concept of setting up your shot with strikes, and your strikes with your shots.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Zingano was known to be a slow starter so tried to start fast with a flying knee.

But if you can break a guy in there best area they can wilt and give up

Because the President/bookers told 'em to, lest a hooker gets called in to enforce terrtorial/Org dominance.

"What? That little Irish fuck (Paddy Holohan, Marcus Davis, Leonard Garcia, etc) is still refusing to fight? I don't give a fuck what Joe Silva or Ray Sefo thinks, I'm Dana Fucking White and I say he's fighting Palhares next!"

Last edited:
Thanks for illustrating my point.

If you don't play into a popular fighters strengths the fans will hate you. That's why fighters adopt and implement stupid strategies.

Any time. When you are an independent contractor that relies on the approval of your customers (word of mouth/internet buzz), and you do such a shit job (even only one time) that is causes a large segment of people to not want to hire/watch you, that's what we call cause and effect.

He was outlanding Nick and there was nothing Nick could do about it. Standing in the pocket would've been stupid against someone like Nick, when it's so easy to outmaneuver him.
I guess backpedaling throwing 60 leg jabs is called striking now

Back