What Prevents Combat Sports from doing Weigh-Ins on Fight day?

Mochan

Saku Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious why weigh-ins are done the day before the fight. Is there a reason for this? Why aren't weigh-ins done on the actual fight day?

I'm curious why weigh-ins are done the day before the fight. Is there a reason for this? Why aren't weigh-ins done on the actual fight day?

Good question... because they should be, imo...

So the fighters can rehydrate.

So the promoters can make money off of a second "event."

Because the ring girls need a platform.

So the fighters can rehydrate until fight night. lol dude.

It's like daylight saving time. We do it but no one knows why.

4 times more likely to suffer brain damage uf you are dehydrated.

Case closed, never gunna happen and never should.

Source is some respected medical journal.

Even rehydrating aside, they want fighters to be at their peak come fight time.

So they have basically the entire day off until the fight.

Do weigh ins the day of and that puts more crap on their plate they don't need if they have a fight in a few hours. Last thing you want to a few hours before fight is worry about making weight (even if you're in your natural weight you still might need to lose a pound or so) worry about interviews and have to deal with all the other travel BS.

Hell most main event fighters don't even show up to the fights till an hour or so before their fight so they can be free of distractions.

You guys are missing the forest for the trees.

The point is if weighins were done on fight day, then massive dehydration to weight cut wouldn't be an option, so we'd have fairer fights where weight cutting isn't such a big deal.

It would encourage fighters not to cut. Which is what I was trying to figure out -- why do the athletic commissions adopt a system which encourages weight cutting rather than fighting at your true weight?

For obvious health reasons.

In the unlikely event - I say unlikely only because I generously expect that people are marginally less idiotic than they appear to be on average - of people dying under fight day weigh-in circumstances, I don't expect more than 1-2 people would kick the bucket before the rest of them wisened up to the risk of cutting a ton of weight for a fight. I would rather see the day-of weigh-ins than what's going on right now. It would eventually put every fighter in the correct weight class, or eliminate those who are very stupid from the roster and life.

Even rehydrating aside, they want fighters to be at their peak come fight time.

So they have basically the entire day off until the fight.

Do weigh ins the day of and that puts more crap on their plate they don't need if they have a fight in a few hours. Last thing you want to a few hours before fight is worry about making weight (even if you're in your natural weight you still might need to lose a pound or so) worry about interviews and have to deal with all the other travel BS.

Hell most main event fighters don't even show up to the fights till an hour or so before their fight so they can be free of distractions.

This makes much more sense to me. I was thinking a weight in doesn't last more than a few seconds but I forget there's a lot of pageantry involved as well.

The point is if weighins were done on fight day, then massive dehydration to weight cut wouldn't be an option, so we'd have fairer fights where weight cutting isn't such a big deal.

It would encourage fighters not to cut. Which is what I was trying to figure out -- why do the athletic commissions adopt a system which encourages weight cutting rather than fighting at your true weight?

I don't understand why this isn't obvious.

LOL, this 100%. I thought that the first few guys that responded are trolling...

None of you researched did you? It has always been same day weigh ins until I think the early 80's. The reason was not death ( obvious troll job) but if I remember correctly some one did not make weight and the fight was called off. A fairly big fight. I think this happened from time to time but it was because of one or two big fights not going through only a few hours later. This absolutely should be changed back to same day weigh ins to prevent the massive cuts and have fighters fighting at there more natural weights. Because people will die, holy cow...Always follow the money trail people

Back