Why a belt is given to champions in combat sport???

Mindcrime

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What is the history behind the fact that a belt is given to a champion in combat sport, why not a trophy or a cup. Why no other sport gives belt to their champion? What is the meaning of a belt???

What is the history behind the fact that a belt is given to a champion in combat sport, why not a trophy or a cup. Why no other sport gives belt to their champion? What is the meaning of a belt???
I believe because it's an individual sport (I know they train as a team) as opposed to a team sport where they would share a trophy.

cuz black and mexican(and texans) dudes loves flashy belt buckles

Because the champion before you has the belt, so once you beat him you win the belt?

Seriously though this is an interesting question. I guess I'm so used to it that I don't think about it.

For you to come up with this question, on a scale of 1-10, how high are you?

Because the champion before you has the belt, so once you beat him you win the belt?

Seriously though this is an interesting question. I guess I'm so used to it that I don't think about it.
Understand what you mean but it could be a trophy too..... so why belts are tied to combat sport....

The first belt given as a prize for accomplishments within the ring was presented in 1810 by King George III to bare-knuckle boxer Tom Cribb, after he defeated Tom Molineaux, an American former slave.

It seems to all have rolled forward from there.

A belt has lineage as a trophy symbolizes annual achievement.

And belts in karate, judo etc asumedly have been around for hundreds of years... a natural developement .

A belt is more of an identity than a trophy like a cup or something you hold in your hand. When you wear the belt, you are "the man". It's your identity now. Fighting is very primal, when you are a champion fighter you are a king sort of speak, not so when you're the best golfer or whatever.

trophy.jpg

Wow... That's heavy man.

Like why isn't a cat called a d-o-g ?

This is too much, man.

giphy.gif

It probably goes back to the early times of war.
You take something from an enemy you defeated in war, his ears or head.

You either tie those things to a necklace or belt.
You eventually run out of space on the necklace or it's harder to fight with a necklace full of ears than a belt full of ears.

Eventually the belt became the choice for warriors to tie shrunken heads or ears.
The belt became your symbol and when another warrior beats you, he takes your belt along.

- Kenny Florian, Belt historian

It probably goes back to the early times of war.
You take something from an enemy you defeated in war, his ears or head.

You either tie those things to a necklace or belt.
You eventually run out of space on the necklace or it's harder to fight with a necklace full of ears than a belt full of ears.

Eventually the belt became the choice for warriors to tie shrunken heads or ears.
The belt became your symbol and when another warrior beats you, he takes your belt along.

- Kenny Florian, Belt historian
From an official Belt Historian evrything said is the truth.....

Back