So... Woodley was really smart to sit on the Bench?

Sonny Qc

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
He now got a title shot after 15 month without a fight...

Maybe Arlovski should have done the same after is 6 fight win streak (4 in the UFC)
Fighting Stipe wasn't the best move no?!

Do you think more guy will do the same in the future?

Not if he gets lit up and finished

UFC rewarding inactive fighters is a disgrace.
This way Tim Kennedy can get a title shot if all contenders take each other out.

UFC rewarding inactive fighters is a disgrace.
This way Tim Kennedy can get a title shot if all contenders take each other out.

The difference between the two is Woodly actually beat two contenders instead of losing to them

Last edited:
Or if they somehow manage to sign GSP and say he will fight Lawler for the belt. Then he might actually cry.

Everyone was saying he won't get a title shot sitting on the side, and he did get his title shot.

So yeah turns out it was smart

Rewarding dumb behaviour doesn't make it smart. It just makes the person giving the reward dumb too.

At this point I think they want Lawler to have a defense that isn't won by a razor-edged margin. I expect Woodley to get blown out in impressive fashion.

Well, after a series of circumstances but his choice paid off.
It reminds me of Steven Bradbury's gameplan to win the gold at the Winter Olympic Games.

ZDgXmVu.gif

Not his fault Hendricks pulled out. Dana clearly stated that he was going to get the next title shot. I'd sit out too if promised one.

@ 0:43

Staying active is always the best move if you ask me.

If you are as good as you hope (good enough to be champ) then you aren't gonna get tripped up along the way. And if you get beat, you start to identify your weaknesses so that you can improve enough to be champ.

And if it's not in the cards then at least you're making money along the way.

Woodley's brains and balls is going to get him a championship.

Woodley wasn't smart or stupid. He just got lucky. End of story.

There's really no discernible strategy that fighters can use to get a title shot. Sometimes fighters decide to sit out and they get attacked (EG Rashad in 2010). Sometimes fighters get attacked for wanting to stay active even though its what Dana and Zuffa brass claim that they want to see (EG Holm from this year).

You can't really complement or criticize any fighter's decision making considering the fact that management of the UFC is only concerned with what will generate them the most revenue in the immediate future given the landscape of the sport at any particular time.

All fighters, after winning a fight should just refuse other fights until they get a title shot.

Eventually the UFC will run out of contenders and give you the titleshot. We can formalise it with a queue system. You take a number and just wait for your titleshot. Still makes more sense than Woodley getting it.

Well, if you're promised a title shot and you're facing a top guy who missed weight I think you should probably weight. He wasn't inactive by choice, necessarily.

Woodley didn't beat anybody of importance.
His most important "win" was from an injury he didn't even induce on his opponent

Looks like it's going to play out good for him. He needs to worry about GSP jumping him in line though or of the UFC getting ridiculous and having Nick Diaz jump him.

Back