Great card with a bad main event VS. bad card with great main event

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Im sure alot of you looked forward to UFC 178. A compelling card on paper (that delivered)...
ufc-178.jpg

But im also sure alot more people tuned in to watch UFC 182, who had a bad main card on paper (that didn't deliver), but a good main event on paper.
UFC-182-Fight-Poster.jpg

The importance of a good main event is overlooked.

Last edited:
Good main event. You can ignore the undercard fights.

Good main card, bad main event is the way to go.

I'd rather have 4 or 5 great fights that are memorable rather than sitting through 2 hour slogfests to finally get to a decent fight.

Good main card, bad main event is the way to go.

I'd rather have 4 or 5 great fights that are memorable rather than sitting through 2 hour slogfests to finally get to a decent fight.
I might be nitpicking here, but i think Glover/AJ being co. main to Holm/Shev is a good example. People will most definetly leave the arena after the co main, since that's what they paid for. Now, the buildup to the so so main event is gone.

Imagine if Glover/AJ would be the main event. The buzz/promos/hype would increase big time.

I would take good card bad main event all day. 178 was an aweeeeeesssooome card. The main event wasn't even too bad. Just kind of a mismatch & bad on paper.

I might be nitpicking here, but i think Glover/AJ being co. main to Holm/Shev is a good example. People will most definetly leave the arena after the co main, since that's what they paid for. Now, the buildup to the so so main event is gone.

Imagine if Glover/AJ would be the main event. The buzz/promos/hype would increase big time.

Holly is more known that Glover/AJ.
Very few (if any) will leave

Good main event.

Unless is stacked with fighterd I know....like old school PRIDE/UFC stacked.

Alot of fighters don't catch my interest.

Had to go back and check...you were right, 182 truly was a dog shit undercard. Cerrone's disdainful leg kicks to a downed "Fury" Jury is a good symbol of how atrocious those match-ups were.

I'm voting for the great undercard/weak main. I like to sit down to a full night of fun fights.

The importance of a good main event is overlooked.

BS! Everyone knows that the ME is all that matters. I assure you that a card with Conor vs GSP in the ME with all no-name fights before it would sell more than a card that was headlined with Kendall Grove vs Cody McKenezie and had EVERY SINGLE UFC champ fighting for a title against the #1 contender in the prelims.

Username: 13 Seconds

Brings up Jones/Cormier as a main that doesnt deliver.

Why do I feel this is about UFC 200..

Back