Avoid at all costs - Cards with no redeeming features whatsoever

legatoblues

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There's a lot of MMA history that I missed out on, so going back through the ages was something that was always going to happen. Finishing UFCs 1 through 12 has given me plenty of mixed experiences, but I'm now at the point where a crappy fight can no longer be excused just for being "old school UFC".

There are plenty of "worst card ever" lists out there, but they all seem to focus purely on the main event, or a specific fight. For example, I thought there were still good fights on UFC 9 and UFC 11, despite the obvious horribleness they are famous for. Overambitious me has decided to go through not just UFC, but Pride, WEC, Strikeforce, IVC, maybe even EliteXC, Affliction and Invicta, all in chronological order. Biting off more than I can chew? Maybe...but we'll see.

So there's the question - are there any MMA events that have absolutely nothing going for them, no good fights, no important moments, nothing at all to make them worth watching? Bring on the suck....

Holly on upcoming main event = card sucks

I'm actually doing the same thing. I'm up to 2006, WFA 4 is my next event to watch. It took me almost a year to get here so yes it's a time investment. I think most cards have at least one or two fights worth watching. Some of the early Pride and WEC cards are kinda rough, they both took time to hit their stride both in production value and quality of fighters but even then have some fun match ups.

149 was pretty shite minus prelims and like 1 finish.

The Calgary card was a waste of time.

UFC 33 I never watched but is supposed to be dogshit

I'm actually doing the same thing. I'm up to 2006, WFA 4 is my next event to watch. It took me almost a year to get here so yes it's a time investment. I think most cards have at least one or two fights worth watching. Some of the early Pride and WEC cards are kinda rough, they both took time to hit their stride both in production value and quality of fighters but even then have some fun match ups.

Skipping all the between-fight stuff makes it a bit easier, but there's no way around the immense time investment. That's still kind of cool though, as it means that catching up to the current stuff is still so far away that it might be worth watching a second time.

149 looks bad, especially with so many injuries and shuffles. What a mess.

And UFC 33 is the card I had in mind when asking this question. It comes up frequently as being "worst card ever", but the main reason behind this seems to be that the PPV coverage dropped before the event was over. Is that it, or were those 3 title fights (and the rest of the card) total snoozers?

Here is me typing furthermore I have nothing to type about but UFC furthermore overambitious me has furthermore thus typing about UFC I'm a thread UFC furthermore thus therefore UFC MMA, nostalgia but modern, thus MMA.

Holly on upcoming main event = card sucks
haters-gonna-hate.jpg

Skipping all the between-fight stuff makes it a bit easier, but there's no way around the immense time investment. That's still kind of cool though, as it means that catching up to the current stuff is still so far away that it might be worth watching a second time.

149 looks bad, especially with so many injuries and shuffles. What a mess.

And UFC 33 is the card I had in mind when asking this question. It comes up frequently as being "worst card ever", but the main reason behind this seems to be that the PPV coverage dropped before the event was over. Is that it, or were those 3 title fights (and the rest of the card) total snoozers?

UFC 33 is interesting from a historical perspective. Zuffa had just bought the company that year, it was the first UFC card in Vegas and it was a stacked card on paper with three title fights. Tito Ortiz was known for explosive quick fights and was supposed to fight Vitor Belfort also known for explosive quick fights. The new owners were banking on this card to be a display of where they were going with the company but it didn't work out that way.

The card was considered a disaster b/c the Ppv cut off before the main event ended. The fact that this card was heavily promoted and lots of new customers tuned in made them look pretty amateurish and many demanded a refund. All of the fights were decisions, and three title fights going the distance is a long time. Belfort was injured and replaced by Matyushenko. None of it lived up to the hype.

Watching it now, it's interesting to see it all play out, but at the time the UFC's future was very much unknown so this was kind of a roadblock for them. Not all the fights were terrible, just not the barn burner everyone was expecting.

Haven't actually watched 149 but it sounds like a mess too!

Back