Original UFC 146 card - who would've won?

Who wins on the original card?

• Total voters

KONE

Double Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
The all heavyweight main card, that was royally fucked up by Overeem failing a drug test. It ended up being: JDS vs Mir, Cain vs Bigfoot, Nelson vs Herman, Miocic vs Shane del Rosario, Lavar Johnson vs Stefan Struve

Let's say Overeem doesn't fail a drug test (and Gonzaga and Hunt don't get injured). Who wins the original card setup?

Alistair Overeem vs Junior dos Santos
Cain Velasquez vs Frank Mir
Roy Nelson vs Bigfoot Silva
Shane del Rosario vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Mark Hunt vs Stefan Struve

My opinion on my 3 favorite fights on the card:

Alistair Overeem vs Junior dos Santos:

I feel like a FUCK ton of people will go with Overeem for this one due to the result of their recent fight, but it would be very, VERY important to note that this fight took place well before Overeem started fighting more cautiously, and also before JDS rematched Cain. Does no-fucks-given-hands-down Overeem get blasted by JDS? Or is OVEREEM the one that exposes JDS' defensive clinch woes and not Cain?

Close fight, but I still say JDS sneaks one through and wins this one.

Cain Velasquez vs Frank Mir:

This fight was very, very interesting. The easy choice for most would be Cain TKO'ing Mir, but let's not forget Mir was a few months removed from breaking Minotauro Nogueira's arm with his eyes closed, and on a 3 fight win streak. Mir's TDD also improved drastically since the 2nd Lesnar fight. Even if you take someone like Mir down, you still run the high risk of being submitted. While Mir's striking defense has never been anything to write home about, neither has Cain's. Cain has legendary recovery, but he's been caught a multitude of times. Does Mir catch Cain with a punch or sub, or do we see a vintage Cain victory?

Homer vote for Frank Mir, but it's a tough fight. Easily fight of the night too.

Roy Nelson vs Bigfoot Silva:

Bigfoot wins solely by being in the top 10. Roy Nelson does not defeat top 10 fighters. This is also TRT Bigfoot, least we not forget. There's always that chance Roy lands that right nuclear bomb, but I think it's more likely Silva just takes him down and uses his pulverizing top game to smash Roy, who admirably hangs on to make it to a decision.

I think JDS KO's Reem, Cain TKOs Mir, Roy KO's Bigfoot, Gonzaga subs Shane and Hunt KO's Struve.

1. Junior dos Santos defeats Alistair Overeem
    11 vote(s)
    91.7%

ztcA80k.gif

This makes me really sad. We could have had another UFC 84 with the original line up. But still the fights were awesome. Shame this card didn't hold up.

I think Cain's pace and volume would have been too much for Mir.

I think Cain's pace and volume would have been too much for Mir.

Probably, but it would've been interesting style wise for sure. After Nogueira, people pretty much stopped trying to take Mir down almost entirely, so I really wonder what Cain would've done.

Probably, but it would've been interesting style wise for sure. After Nogueira, people pretty much stopped trying to take Mir down almost entirely, so I really wonder what Cain would've done.

If he would have gotten him down watching Mir off of his back would have been must see TV for sure.

I'm not sure if Cain would just stand against Mir. And taking a man like Frank to the ground - like I think Cain would eventually do - means that chances of getting submitted aren't small.

I'm not sure if Cain would just stand against Mir. And taking a man like Frank to the ground - like I think Cain would eventually do - means that chances of getting submitted aren't small.

I think Mir surprises a lot of people here with that one. Whether it's his underrated durability or even pulling off the win.

Mir via guillotine.... damn you Overeem

I picked

JDS
Bigfoot
Cain
Hunt
Gonzaga (SDR was a capable guy, though. He may have worked Gonzaga standing.

I picked

JDS
Bigfoot
Cain
Hunt
Gonzaga (SDR was a capable guy, though. He may have worked Gonzaga standing.

Don't feel bad about not being able to predict a Gonzaga fight, it's an almost impossible task

I picked Reem because I believe he was still juiced and huge at that point. Although JDS was still on top of his game. I would probably change that choice after reading other responses.. Mir loses that fight 10/10 times. Unless of course the fight takes place at altitude.

UFC 146 was one of the best cards!! no decisions, all finishes. I loved that PPV, its in my top 5 of all time.

Alistair Overeem vs Junior dos Santos - JDS (I know Overeem beat him recently, but at that time I would have gone with JDS).

Cain Velasquez vs Frank Mir - Velasquez.

Roy Nelson vs Bigfoot Silva - Nelson.

Shane del Rosario vs Gabriel Gonzaga - Gonzaga.

Mark Hunt vs Stefan Struve - Hunt.

The all heavyweight main card, that was royally fucked up by Overeem failing a drug test. It ended up being: JDS vs Mir, Cain vs Bigfoot, Nelson vs Herman, Miocic vs Shane del Rosario, Lavar Johnson vs Stefan Struve

Let's say Overeem doesn't fail a drug test (and Gonzaga and Hunt don't get injured). Who wins the original card setup?

Alistair Overeem vs Junior dos Santos
Cain Velasquez vs Frank Mir
Roy Nelson vs Bigfoot Silva
Shane del Rosario vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Mark Hunt vs Stefan Struve

My opinion on my 3 favorite fights on the card:

Alistair Overeem vs Junior dos Santos:

I feel like a FUCK ton of people will go with Overeem for this one due to the result of their recent fight, but it would be very, VERY important to note that this fight took place well before Overeem started fighting more cautiously, and also before JDS rematched Cain. Does no-fucks-given-hands-down Overeem get blasted by JDS? Or is OVEREEM the one that exposes JDS' defensive clinch woes and not Cain?

Close fight, but I still say JDS sneaks one through and wins this one.

Cain Velasquez vs Frank Mir:

This fight was very, very interesting. The easy choice for most would be Cain TKO'ing Mir, but let's not forget Mir was a few months removed from breaking Minotauro Nogueira's arm with his eyes closed, and on a 3 fight win streak. Mir's TDD also improved drastically since the 2nd Lesnar fight. Even if you take someone like Mir down, you still run the high risk of being submitted. While Mir's striking defense has never been anything to write home about, neither has Cain's. Cain has legendary recovery, but he's been caught a multitude of times. Does Mir catch Cain with a punch or sub, or do we see a vintage Cain victory?

Homer vote for Frank Mir, but it's a tough fight. Easily fight of the night too.

Roy Nelson vs Bigfoot Silva:

Bigfoot wins solely by being in the top 10. Roy Nelson does not defeat top 10 fighters. This is also TRT Bigfoot, least we not forget. There's always that chance Roy lands that right nuclear bomb, but I think it's more likely Silva just takes him down and uses his pulverizing top game to smash Roy, who admirably hangs on to make it to a decision.

This is a great post, but i have to disagree with your assessment of Cain Vs Mir.

Cain's mauling of bigfoot proved how devastating he could be, and I don't believe Mir could handle/survive that. I know he pulled a fast one on Brock, and he did take Nog's arm while practically unconscious, but Cain would not let up once he got on top of Mir. I think that version of Cain would briefly strike with Mir and get him dizzy, and then take him down and finish him within the first round.

UFC 146 also had my favourite promo ever. That old school "Saturday! Saturday! Saturday!" video was AMAZING, I've always wanted to see it again and never found it.

I picked Shane Del Rosario over Gabe Gonzaga for nostalgia. Sucks that he's gone. :(

This is a great post, but i have to disagree with your assessment of Cain Vs Mir.

Cain's mauling of bigfoot proved how devastating he could be, and I don't believe Mir could handle/survive that. I know he pulled a fast one on Brock, and he did take Nog's arm while practically unconscious, but Cain would not let up once he got on top of Mir. I think that version of Cain would briefly strike with Mir and get him dizzy, and then take him down and finish him within the first round.

Like I said, I had to go with the homer vote for my boy :p

I totally get everyone voting for Cain of course, but I just think it's an interesting matchup stylistically for Mir. Would've fucking loved to see it regardless.

Personally I'm just glad people are voting JDS over Overeem. Some smart dudes here :D

Like I said, I had to go with the homer vote for my boy :p

I totally get everyone voting for Cain of course, but I just think it's an interesting matchup stylistically for Mir. Would've fucking loved to see it regardless.

Personally I'm just glad people are voting JDS over Overeem. Some smart dudes here :D

I voted JDS too. I feel like if they fought again tomorrow, I'd have to go with JDS again. I really think Overeem just got lucky, I think JDS is the better striker and wasn't aggressive enough.

At the time of this card, I definitely think JDS would have won given how cocky Overeem was. But I'm also a huge JDS fan, and really hated watching him lose, so maybe I'm biased.

Back