Helio Gracie Biopic?

Big_Chief_Stove

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Will there ever be a film/show made depicting Helio's journey from his youth in Brazil learning BJJ to his son Royce winning UFC 1 in the USA? It's a pretty epic story: Challenge Matches, Family Feuds, International Feuds, Pride days, Early UFC days etc...

It could be great,but i doubt hollywood wouldn't fuck it up...

One of my LOL moments was when his son Rorion said that way back in the day, Helio placed an ad in Rio papers saying, "If you want a broken arm or rib, call me at (this number)."

haha

It could be great,but i doubt hollywood wouldn't fuck it up...
It have to be an indy film maker before I would trust them not to fuck it up. Maybe David Mamet could do it though, he wrote Red Belt and that really wasn't too bad!

One of my LOL moments was when his son Rorion said that way back in the day, Helio placed an ad in Rio papers saying, "If you want a broken arm or rib, call me at (this number)."

haha
Lol, quite the aggressive business man

Will there ever be a film/show made depicting Helio's journey from his youth in Brazil learning BJJ to his son Royce winning UFC 1 in the USA? It's a pretty epic story: Challenge Matches, Family Feuds, International Feuds, Pride days, Early UFC days etc...

It would be very difficult to put a man's life like that into a 2 hour movie, if that even, you could make a whole film on Helio's life alone.

What would be ideal is if a good enough script came along that could be turned into a series, picked up by a network like HBO, Netflix, AMC, or Showtime, and no, I don't mean a script like that other MMA show with Frank Grillo (The Kingdom), which is like watching 'Sons of Anarchy', just switched with MMA fighting lol.

Its not MMA, but a fighter like Bernard Hopkins, and his life, would make the perfect series to watch, if they could make it. His life has been extraordinary.

Who is that, Stipe's Brazilian half-brother???

Wagner Moura who plays Pablo Escobar in the netflix Series "Narcos"could play a young Carlos Gracie, I believe he's a blue belt under big nog too, he could have genuine skills to bring to the project. Who would play Helio?

haha
For a good time call...

It would be very difficult to put a man's life like that into a 2 hour movie, if that even, you could make a whole film on Helio's life alone.

What would be ideal is if a good enough script came along that could be turned into a series, picked up by a network like HBO, Netflix, AMC, or Showtime, and no, I don't mean a script like that other MMA show with Frank Grillo (The Kingdom), which is like watching 'Sons of Anarchy', just switched with MMA fighting lol.

Its not MMA, but a fighter like Bernard Hopkins, and his life, would make the perfect series to watch, if they could make it. His life has been extraordinary.
Netflix could take a story like Helio's and make an epic series out of it. Wagner Moura who plays Pablo Escobar in "Narcos" could play a young Carlos Gracie, he's a blue belt under big nog too.

David Mamet (Ronin, Red Belt) and Kurt Sutter (Southpaw, Sons of Anarchy) should get together and start making this series!!

Now let's have fun and cast it. I say Sia Labeouf as Royce. Go!

There are already quite a few documentaries and books. I think the veracity of the stories can be put into check also, since the storytellers are clearly biased(his family).

There are already quite a few documentaries and books. I think the veracity of the stories can be put into check also, since the storytellers are clearly biased(his family).
What if Netflix made a series about it though?

Only if Martin Scorsese directs it.

Otherwise is gonna be Gracie Propaganda and the typical inspiration story.

Last edited:
Netflix could take a story like Helio's and make an epic series out of it. Wagner Moura who plays Pablo Escobar in "Narcos" could play a young Carlos Gracie, he's a blue belt under big nog too.

David Mamet (Ronin, Red Belt) and Kurt Sutter (Southpaw, Sons of Anarchy) should get together and start making this series!!

Red Belt had a good cast, but the story itself was bizarre actually, and no, not Kurt Sutter, his writing is trash, Southpaw wasn't a good boxing movie at all, way over the top, it made boxing look ridiculous really.

Now let's have fun and cast it. I say Sia Labeouf as Royce. Go!
I like Wagner Moura (Pablo Escobar in Narcos) for Carlos Gracie
Ken Watanabe for Mitsuyo Maeda maybe
What if Kron played Rickson?
Pedro Pascal could possibly be a good fit for Helio
helio-gracie-jovem-jiu-jitsu.jpg

Pedro_Pascal_SDCC_2014.jpg

Only if Martin Scorsese directs it.

Otherwise is gonna be Gracie Propaganda and they typical inspiration story.
I'd say David Mamet (Ronin, Red Belt) and Kurt Sutter (South Paw, Sons of Anarchy) should collaborate on it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back