Alexaner Gustafsson: "It was my destiny to spend my life behind bars"

Dream20

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Interview in Swedish newspaper. I'll do my best to translate, some of it:

Growing up his life was about alcohol, drugs, stealing cars and fighting in the streets. A lot of the times the violence was over the top.

Gus became a celebrity in the gang world (probably because he was a good fighter:)

Alexander accepted the life as a criminal and was ready to continue living like that.

His life turned around when he finally came to a rehabilitation center. That's where he started training MMA.

He is ashamed of his past but ready to come back to the top fighting again (in the cage this time;)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/kampsport/mma/article22760141.ab

Who is he fighting next is all I want to know.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Gustafsson must have had a tough life pre-UFC. Glad to see he was able to turn it around.

He's working on that Stockholm Slap

He is still fighting criminals in the UFC(jonjones).

Wish Jones would've humbled him back then.

The man is straight up evil but yet sherdog gives him a pass...hmmmmm I wonder why?

I don't know, man. Rumble took his soul it seems like.

Maybe that knocked some screws loose and he'll come back meaner and better. He can beat JBJ in a rematch and then participate in similar behavior, lol.

Just imagine if Gus hadn't been a criminal scumbag when growing up, wasting his life, but had been training like a pro, eating carrots, doing push ups.

He would probably had beat Jon Jones. At least the version of Jon that didn't do push up.

I dont know, with such a rough life why does he feel like giving up every time he loses a fight?

I am all for seconds chances, like absolutely. People make mistakes, some a lot more than others, second chances, third chances, that's great.

But let's not make these guys some heroes either. There seems to be a few guys with dark past and they come out and say about it, and people seem to act like they are some heroes who saved a country, Joan of Arc or some shit like that.

This is nothing but a guess but I guess that their victims never got a second chances and possibly living with a permanent damage for the rest of their life, physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and etc.

Seems like the ufc belt is behind the wrong bars for him as well. :(

Maybe that knocked some screws loose and he'll come back meaner and better. He can beat JBJ in a rematch and then participate in similar behavior, lol.

He arguably beat Cormier right after. His soul is fine.

His fight with dc was razor close. Although that was a crushing loss.
Yeah, didn't DC say Gus was the toughest opponent he's ever fought? Jones struggled against him as well. This is what Gus has to remember each time he feels like he doesn't have it anymore. Most guys struggle against his size and reach in there. His loss to Rumble is something I'm sure still eats him though.

Strange, Having been to Sweden a few years back it just doesnt strike you as a country with that kind of subculture. Who knew.

Wish Jones would've humbled him back then.

The man is straight up evil but yet sherdog gives him a pass...hmmmmm I wonder why?
Gustafsson is contrite, honest and reformed. Jones, not so much. Jones to copped to a "marijuana addiction" when everybody knows damn well that he is a coke fiend as well. That motherfucker ain't changing. THAT'S why. Gustafsson has found a way to sincerely turn his life around while Jones consistently tries to find ways to piss it all away.

Last edited:
Back