15 years ago today - UFC 31: Locked and Loaded

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
One of the greatest UFC events of all time, UFC 31: Locked and Loaded, (sic) was held in Atlantic City, New Jersey. In the main event Randy Couture defended his UFC heavyweight championship against Pedro Rizzo, winning a unanimous decision in what was the 2001 Fight of the Year.

In the other championship bout, Carlos Newton defeated Pat Miletich via bulldog choke to become the new UFC welterweight champion.

Elsewhere on the card, Chuck Liddell knocked out Kevin Randleman with punches in the first round and Shonie Carter delivered one of the most iconic highlights in UFC history when he knocked out Matt Serra with a spinning back fist with 9 seconds remaining in the third round of a fight he was losing.

This event also marked the MMA debut of future UFC Hall of Famer and your favorite fighter's favorite fighter: BJ Penn. He stopped Joey Gilbert with punches in the first round.

(Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/4...a-tate-was-frustrated-with-the-conor-mcgregor)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_31

Quality, quality card. Worth watching again, I only saw it once a couple years ago.

ufc31_poster.jpg

They are being roasted alive.

What does this have to do with Conor McGregor?!
Wrong forum probably

I feel depressed now. Not because the ufc 31, that event was great, but damn the time is running. 15 years ago...

Another gem I found at the source of the picture above:

Rusk, Lawler To Headline Extreme Trials

Two of the up-and-coming stars of the Miletich Martial Arts Center will headline this Saturday’s Extreme Trials in Davenport, Iowa.

Steve Rusk and Robbie Lawler, both winners at the Mixed Martial Arts Nationals this year, will compete in pro bouts in front of their home fans.

[] Rusk, a former wrestling star at Illinois, is 2-0 as a pro and will face Brad Jones of Kansas City. Jones is an Extreme Challenge veteran and has fought the likes of Guy Mezger and Bobby Hoffman.

[] Lawler, a 19-year-old former high school wrestling standout, will be making his professional debut against Travis Sapp, also from Kansas City. Sapp has a 2-1 pro record.

The Extreme Trials features amateur competition in five weight divisions — 150-under, 170-under, 190-under, 210-under and heavyweight. The winners of each of the Trials events qualify for the Nationals, which are scheduled for December. The winners of the Nationals receive pro contracts to compete in Super Brawl, Extreme Challenge and USWF.

The next Extreme Trials is April 20 in Bloomington, Minn., and will feature UFC fighter Sean Sherk.

To enter either of the Trials, call Monte Cox at 319 332-2075.

TBT on Wednesday. I like it.

I love that the call Newton's win a bulldog choke. It was a regular ass schoolyard choke that every 10yr old has put his friend in a bunch of times.

Can anyone explain why the poster says "Fully Loaded" and the actual title everywhere is "Locked and Loaded"? Cannot find a different poster.

One of the greatest UFC events of all time, UFC 31: Locked and Loaded, (sic) was held in Atlantic City, New Jersey. In the main event Randy Couture defended his UFC heavyweight championship against Pedro Rizzo, winning a unanimous decision in what was the 2001 Fight of the Year.

In the other championship bout, Carlos Newton defeated Pat Miletich via bulldog choke to become the new UFC welterweight champion.

Elsewhere on the card, Chuck Liddell knocked out Kevin Randleman with punches in the first round and Shonie Carter delivered one of the most iconic highlights in UFC history when he knocked out Matt Serra with a spinning back fist with 9 seconds remaining in the third round of a fight he was losing.

This event also marked the MMA debut of future UFC Hall of Famer and your favorite fighter's favorite fighter: BJ Penn. He stopped Joey Gilbert with punches in the first round.

(Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/4...a-tate-was-frustrated-with-the-conor-mcgregor)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_31

Quality, quality card. Worth watching again, I only saw it once a couple years ago.

ufc31_poster.jpg
Man I miss the days when I absolutely loved MMA

I remember being so excited for this card, one of my heroes (Randy) was fighting one of the deadliest strikers the sport had ever seen, and ended up one of the best fights ever
And big Pat was looking unstoppable in the UFC, and had started finishing guys in his previous fights.
Shonie vs Serra is an all time great scrap
And Almeida getting confused with the rules!

Damn! That was legit stacked! Can't believe it's been 15 years.

Can anyone explain why the poster says "Fully Loaded" and the actual title everywhere is "Locked and Loaded"? Cannot find a different poster.
I'm pretty sure Fully Loaded was the original title before the event, but was changed at a later date, maybe even after the event?
My memory is vague though

Back