If Jds beat CAin in the 2nd fight and there never was a 3rd would he be #2 all time?

bjpenngoat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
assuming his career went exactly the same way.

I think JDS was so close to being right below Fedor.

Maybe, but JDS has a hell of a resume, that is better than Cain's, hopefully he wins the belt again

Fedor couldn't win 2 straight in strikeforce.

nobody cares dude gtfo with those stupid threads

nobody cares dude gtfo with those stupid threads

JDS can still be ranked higher than Cain.. a ranking list doesn't mean that you would win against every guy below you, it's based off the evaluation of a career as a whole. Styles make fights, it's why MMA math hasn't and never will work. At Cain's rate of 1 fight every 20 years JDS is sure to pass him if he keeps winning.

What if kerr never got hooked on drugs or married that woman? If he trained with basic he would stayed undefeated and Been best ever. Let's just assume he did....... wasteland

Really if your looking at how things could have gone with JDS I think he actually over achieved vs Cain with that first KO when the latter had questionable tactics. To hope lighting strikes twice there is I think pushing things if you believe luck is a factor.

Indeed I think that dispite all the hype around Nog living via his chin I think tis actually more true of JDS. Until he started to decline Nog actually had very few fights were his chin/toughness earnt him a win(Crocop and Sapp basically) were as I think JDS depended on its vs Mirko, Nelson, Mir, Hunt, Stipe and Rothwell, granted so did his opponent in several of those fights but if your looking at "what if's" I think its much more potentially negative for JDS than positive with that and the very early finishes of Cain and Werdum.

No. Nogs resume is way more impressive than what people give him credit for. He has twice as many wins as jds

nog didnt fight the top guys every single fight like jds has. Even Struve was a high level win compared to a lot of nogs wins. I hate saying that Im a pride fanboy but when you have rothwell now, 2 year past prime crocop, Nelson, Carwin, Mir, Cain, stipe, Hunt, Gonzaga and early blooming Werdum that is probably better than Nogs resume in terms of quality. sorry but i think its true.

nog didnt fight the top guys every single fight like jds has. Even Struve was a high level win compared to a lot of nogs wins. I hate saying that Im a pride fanboy but when you have rothwell now, 2 year past prime crocop, Nelson, Carwin, Mir, Cain, stipe, Hunt, Gonzaga and early blooming Werdum that is probably better than Nogs resume in terms of quality. sorry but i think its true.

For what it's worth... Fight Matrix has Nog #11 and JDS #20 for all time.

Absolute
Rank Fighter
CA.png
Georges St. Pierre
BR.png
Anderson Silva
RU.png
Fedor Emelianenko
US.png
Matt Hughes
BR.png
Jose Aldo
US.png
Jon Jones
US.png
B.J. Penn
US.png
Frankie Edgar
US.png
Randy Couture
US.png
Urijah Faber
BR.png
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
US.png
Dan Henderson
US.png
Chris Weidman
BR.png
Lyoto Machida
BR.png
Fabricio Werdum
US.png
Cain Velasquez
US.png
Chuck Liddell
BR.png
Wanderlei Silva
US.png
Robbie Lawler
BR.png
Junior dos Santo

assuming his career went exactly the same way.

I think JDS was so close to being right below Fedor.

You can't just assume that though. JDS would have to be a completely different fighter to beat Cain a second time.

Assuming JDS still had recent fights people would still incessantly hate on him , there is no escape from it , no matter what you do

cant say that I agree with this look how high Weidman is. granted he beat THREE guys to get that high. its not really indicative of the actual body of work. spider twice, vitor and machida are his only outstanding wins. You cant count 17 year old uriah hall and munoz great anything but filler wins, yet he is ranked ABOVE Chuck and wandy? this list just isnt realistic and anyone who has beenw atching mma will say that Bones should be above everyone based on his dominance and no way is gsp #1 no fucking way.

cant say that I agree with this look how high Weidman is. granted he beat THREE guys to get that high. its not really indicative of the actual body of work. spider twice, vitor and machida are his only outstanding wins. You cant count 17 year old uriah hall and munoz great anything but filler wins, yet he is ranked ABOVE Chuck and wandy? this list just isnt realistic and anyone who has beenw atching mma will say that Bones should be above everyone based on his dominance and no way is gsp #1 no fucking way.

Say what you will, which is why I prefaced with "for what it's worth". This is an all time list and I'm sure they take into account Jones has not finished his career and can certainly rise.

Better than Crocop, Kharitonov, Barnett, Ricco Rodriguez, Herring, Sapp, Werdum, Sylvia, Couture, Coleman?

Better than Crocop, Kharitonov, Barnett, Ricco Rodriguez, Herring, Sapp, Werdum, Sylvia, Couture, Coleman?

yes undoubtedly imo. While crocop, herring and barnett are all highly ranked wins the others are not. Sergei is an interesting case because he never really won anything of note but we all know he is like a modern day Hunt dude was a beast and could beat anyone on any given night. The couture and werdum wins arent that great in retrospective because randy was way past it and werdum wasnt werdum yet and when Fabricio got good he destroyed him. Im not dissing Nog, he was amazing and his legacy is cemented as one of the all time greats but I would have put JDS ahead of him in a heartbeat had the outcomes of those cain fights been different. without question.

Back