SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's take care of some club business! (UPDATE: Poll closed!)

G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Confused about what the fuck's going on in here? See the following threads:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/could-a-sherdog-movie-watching-club-work.3237221/
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/sherdog-movie-club-first-meeting-members-gtfih.3237763/

Hey guys, I know a lot's been going on but we still have a few issues to discuss. Namely, there are TWO THINGS that we're going to address here. And I need a vote on each issue.

Issue #1

We've had a few members, such as @Luke Rockhard, say that they feel like we should only watch a movie on a bi-weekly, instead of weekly, basis. This is mostly due to work/family/school obligations.

Right now the current plan is one movie per week. I figure if someone can't participate that week then they can just wait for the next week. The downside to this is that they're going to miss some of the movies. But on the other hand, if there are a lot of people who want to do this every week and have the time available, then it seems like the way to go.

So here's the deal, we're going to take a vote and that's going to be that. WEEKLY or BI-WEEKLY. Those are your options. "I don't care" is not an option. If you really don't lean in either direction, simply refrain from voting.

(Note: For anyone who might be confused, bi-weekly = once every two weeks, not twice a week.)

Issue #2

Here's the system that we currently have in place for nominating films:

Each week a new member--based on join order--gets THEIR OWN WEEK to be the guy who selects the films. He will nominate three to five candidate films, which will then be put to the vote. This ensures that everyone will eventually get to see one of their own movies be the movie for the week.

The downside to this is obviously that, with so many members, it's going to take a long time for guys with the later join dates to get their turn. And everyone will only get about one turn per year.

@MusterX suggested that maybe instead of each member getting a week to themselves, that each week two or three different members gets a chance to nominate films and they all go up for a vote together. Another possibility is that we could do it by theme, with each week having a new theme, such as all candidates being part of a certain genre, or being made by a particular director, etc. Though we would then have to figure out how to choose the themes, which would require a whole new round of discussion.

So again you have two options here: LEAVE IT THE WAY IT IS, which means we just roll with the one-member-per-week system as described above. Or KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT, where we keep discussing the issue to see if we can come up with something better.

Format your response like this:

1. Weekly (Or Bi-Weekly)
2. Leave it the way it is (Or Keep talking about it)

I'm going to tally the votes on THURSDAY NIGHT and whatever the majority is, that's what we're going with and we're not looking back.

And of course feel free to throw out any questions or comments you may have.

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @Forum Sentinal @europe1 @Mondo Freaks @Cint @sleepwalk @Luke Rockhard @TheRuthlessOne @choke you @jabba the punk @EL CORINTHIAN @mb23100 @HUNTERMANIA @iThrillhouse @Zer @Roxxo @Money509 @Lethal_Striker @BenRichards @mooshy @JaegerIT @Lionel Mandrake @Genki Sudo II @DaDamn @chickenluver @gorgonon @jeicex @INTERL0PER @FierceRedBelt @Satanical Eve @Werdun @Jermei @Cptn1NSAN0 @D Train @GoForkYourself @Rimbaud82 @RayA @Friday The 13th @That209 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @Davey Crockett @BeardotheWeirdo @RoryFan

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Bi-weekly
2. Talk about it some more

lol uhh... mods move this to 'berry I think

Every other week works better for me, having a lot of outside responsibilities
And I agree keep talking about how to nominate the movies each week.

1. Weekly. Just LMAO at bi-weekly
2. Leave it the way it is. Just LMAO at wanting to talk about it anymore

Good job you posted in UFC discussion because I never even knew you guys did this.

IN

1. Weekly
2. A member choses all the candidates

The problem with theme and spread out nominations and such is that it creates a lot of bureaucratic hassle that is just a chore to slog through. I don't necessarily want to spent every week going through details like that.

Also, by having one memeber nominate all the films, each week will bring out the individuality of that poster, allowing them to express themselves in their film-picks.

Yea I would say since there is 50+ members, and probably more will join, that if we do it where its one member per week then some members have a year wait just to come around once. If we go ahead and say 2 members contribute to the poll per week, something like 3 movies each or 3 members per week, 2 movies each, then the rotation goes faster and everyone gets to participate more.

As far as weekly or bi-weekly, I would say stick to weekly and if its too much for some members they can just participate whenever they feel like it, bi-weekly if they like.

There is a website that we can all go to, enter a movie, then it will randomly pick a movie from the list. Then we can all watch that movie.

Good job you posted in UFC discussion because I never even knew you guys did this.

IN

You've been added to the member list.

We do all our business here in the Berry so if you don't hang out in here often then this is the place to be.

1. Weekly
2. Keep talking about it.

Not to nitpick, but when you're saying bi-weekly what you mean to say is bi-monthly

anyway,

1. weekly
2. leave it the way it is

The problem with theme and spread out nominations and such is that it creates a lot of bureaucratic hassle that is just a chore to slog through. I don't necessarily want to spent every week going through details like that.

Yeah, that's the downside. Especially over a forum where it's all text-based, and not everyone is on at the same time, it can be hard to reach a conclusion that everyone is happy with or had a chance to participate in.

Also, by having one memeber nominate all the films, each week will bring out the individuality of that poster, allowing them to express themselves in their film-picks.

Agreed on this 100%. I just wish it wouldn't take so long for everyone to have a turn.

Not to nitpick, but when you're saying bi-weekly what you mean to say is bi-monthly

You know, I was a little confused myself, so I Googled it and got this definition:

"appearing or taking place every two weeks or twice a week"

That's why I added the clarifier.

Bi-monthly, BTW, gets this result:

"occurring or produced twice a month or every two months"

There is a website that we can all go to, enter a movie, then it will randomly pick a movie from the list. Then we can all watch that movie.

Using that system you'll end up with some 5 hours long Bollywood musical.

Don't play with fate, least fate play with you.

Besides, I think Ninja is looking for films that are of a more substantial nature.

1. Weekly for the betterment of the club.
2. How bout a lottery system to make it exciting. One winner picked every week, cross there name off till we get to every one, then start over or start something new. Btw, that wouldve been my suggestion even if I was first.

You know, I was a little confused myself, so I Googled it and got this definition:

"appearing or taking place every two weeks or twice a week"

That's why I added the clarifier.

Bi-monthly, BTW, gets this result:

"occurring or produced twice a month or every two months"

Wtf kind of janky definition is that? How is anybody supposed to know what you mean without clarification? lol

Back