How would Thiago Alves-Edson Barboza go at LW?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Alves says he wants to debut around August at LW. I think this fight is the shit.

Its crazy that even with Alves moving down, Barboza would have a 2 inch height and 5 inch reach advantage.

Thiago%2BAlves%2BStuns%2BJordan%2BMein%2BBy%2BBody%2BKick%2BUFC%2B183.gif

Edson+Barboza+Liver+Kicks+Evan+Dunham+UFN+Cerrone+vs+Miller.gif

I think Alves would hurt him at some point and TKO him, their skills in striking seem about even but Alves hits harder and can take harder hits.

Years ago I would have loved that fight.

Nowadays I think Edson destroys Thiago.

I think Alves would hurt him at some point and TKO him, their skills in striking seem about even but Alves hits harder and can take harder hits.
I think Alves is the more powerful guy and I also agree he seems very durable. That being said, I think Barboza has an advantage in the skills just based on how he moves compared to Alves and how he sets things up.

Alves' kicks are insane too though, it would be fun.

Alves at 155 comes as a surprise to me. I really don't know what to expect from his weight cut and most of all his performance. Judging by his last fights, he's not the same guy anymore.

Sometimes, fighters seem to think that dropping a weight class is a solution to their careers when weight is not really the issue. Let's see what happens with Alves.

Someone is getting their leg amputated.

I think a cut to 155 would be tough for Alves and Barboza would capitalize off it.

Now at 170 I think the story end differently.

Fight should happen at WW, not sure if Alves can make the cut to 155.

I still can't see Alves being too successful at 155 but we'll see how it goes. Nowadays Thiago is really battle worn and I could see Edson beating him to a UD. But Edson is also not the most consistent fighter just based on his past few fights. Interesting fight indeed.

If Alves is able to carry over his power to 155 he would have a chance because Edson is hittable. If not, he's basically screwed. Barboza, besides having a reach advantage, is way faster.

I believe Barboza's reach and speed would be too much for Alves, but it's true that he's proven more durable during his career, so it would be a great fight!

With that said Barboza probably deserve someone who's ranked higher right now. I would prefer him against Chiesa or something like that...

It would look great for a round, then Alves would gas imo...

barboza would shatter the shell that alves has become of his former self.

I'm pretty sure this is Frode's dream fight.

I think Alves is the more powerful guy and I also agree he seems very durable. That being said, I think Barboza has an advantage in the skills just based on how he moves compared to Alves and how he sets things up.

Alves' kicks are insane too though, it would be fun.

Alves has trouble with backing himself up against the cage against grapplers, I think he set ups his striking just as well as Barboza if not better when it comes to body and low kicks.

Fight should happen at WW, not sure if Alves can make the cut to 155.

I don't think it will be an issue, he's looked much smaller in recent fights, he's probably smaller than Tibau now or within 5lbs of him.

Alves at 155 comes as a surprise to me. I really don't know what to expect from his weight cut and most of all his performance. Judging by his last fights, he's not the same guy anymore.

Sometimes, fighters seem to think that dropping a weight class is a solution to their careers when weight is not really the issue. Let's see what happens with Alves.

I disagree with this, Alves is much smaller than he was in 2009 and he's not doing nearly as well at WW, I think it's because he's not as strong and he doesn't hit has hard. He's short for a WW and has a short reach, he either needs to bulk back up to what he used to be or go to LW, he's much smaller than big WWs now.

Not the first time Alves claimed he is going down to 155. The guy used to struggle to make 170. I say Barboza by Alves gassing after a minute and a half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back