Has a fighter ever lost to an opponent on short notice and won the rematch?

youngsteinel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I can't remember this ever happening personally, any examples?

Penn lost the 2nd fight to Hughes on short notice, then knocked him out in the 3rd.

Noting: Penn was the one that stepped in late, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Well usually the short noticed fighter loses. Conor setting all sorts of records.

5464647.jpg

Spencer fisher vs Sam stout

Edit:iirc that's off the top of my head

Would Chris Lytle vs Serra count??

Short notice as in tuf tournament...

Well usually the short noticed fighter loses. Conor setting all sorts of records.

5464647.jpg

27 years of age with every record in the book. #GOAT

LOL

Was Rua vs Griffin I on short notice??

Would Chris Lytle vs Serra count??

Short notice as in tuf tournament...
There's usually 2-3 months between the actual end of taping and the finale (except for that one live season)

Couture vs Belfort comes to mind, their first fight back in the old UFC days was short notice, about 2 weeks. and Couture destroyed Belfort. then they fought at UFC 46 many years later and Belfort won by a cut.

Would Tito Ortiz vs Guy Mezger count? Tito was a alternate and replaced Guy's original opponent if my memory is right.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any short notice fights that turned INTO a rematch in the first place.

"McGregor belt". LOL. The McGregor belt is probably at the walls at Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu by now.
I'd have one at the rematch and press conferences just to remind him of the words he had to eat. Nate doesn't suffer from the douchebaggery I do, though.

I'd have one at the rematch and press conferences just to remind him of the words he had to eat. Nate doesn't suffer from the douchebaggery I do, though.

Haha. Conor is lucky you weren't the one slapping him on live television.

I cant think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone probably lost at a tournament then won at a regular event. I was going to say Crocop/Randleman, but the Crocop loss was actually the first round.

Back