Fighters who come from upper middle class backgrounds

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
Upper middle class or wealthier. The only ones I can think of now are BJ and Carlos Condit.

Anybody else? Their mom and dad owning their house growing up is not enough. It has to be that you have to wonder why they choose fighting when they could have easily done something way more lucrative because of their family background.

Vitor Belfort comes from an upper middle class family. He's one of the few Brazilian fighters who don't have a poverty background.

Upper middle class or wealthier. The only ones I can think of now are BJ and Carlos Condit.

Anybody else? Their mom and dad owning their house growing up is not enough. It has to be that you have to wonder why they choose fighting when they could have easily done something way more lucrative because of their family background.
There's an old adage in baseball, that rich kids don't make it. In professional sports, a middle or lower class upbringing, is an advantage money cannot buy.

Vitor Belfort comes from an upper middle class family. He's one of the few Brazilian fighters who don't have a poverty background.

I spoke to a couple brazilian girls about Brazilian fighters. They have never heard of Aldo, Anderson Silva, or Shogun. They only know Vitor Belfort, apparently that motherfucker is a superstar over there.

I spoke to a couple brazilian girls about Brazilian fighters. They have never heard of Aldo, Anderson Silva, or Shogun. They only know Vitor Belfort, apparently that motherfucker is a superstar over there.
Females love a man who sucks toes

vitor%2Bfoot.gif

Was it a long time ago? Fighters became stars here in Brazil only after UFC 126. Now I'm sure all of them - or at least the champions/former champions - are pretty well known.

But you're right, Vitor was the first one to become famous around here. His wife is a (sort of) famous model in the country and Vitor met her a in a terrible reality show called Casa dos Artistas (something along the lines of Star's House). Remember that gif in which Belfort's kissing a woman in her feet? That's them in that ridiculous TV show.

Edit: There you go.

Luke Rockhold
Came to say this.

Luke is the epitome of this.

Those who say rich kids dont make it are fooling themselves. Money sure does help make it basically everywhere.

Chris Weidman comes to mind. His dad owns a few businesses, I remember him saying on the UFC countdown show.

“Rich kids shouldn’t fight.” –Nate Diaz
@ around 6:40

There's an old adage in baseball, that rich kids don't make it. In professional sports, a middle or lower class upbringing, is an advantage money cannot buy.
They also may have better options. Even for talented athletes, pro sports is a huge gamble. Given the percentage of athletes that make it to the upper echelon and actually get paid well enough to make a comfortable life.

Was it a long time ago? Fighters became stars here in Brazil only after UFC 126. Now I'm sure all of them - or at least the champions/former champions - are pretty well known.

But you're right, Vitor was the first one to become famous around here. His wife is a (sort of) famous model in the country and Vitor met her a in a terrible reality show called Casa dos Artistas (something along the lines of Star's House). Remember that gif in which Belfort's kissing a woman in her feet? That's them in that ridiculous TV show.

Edit: There you go.

Oh, that makes sense. This was actually last Christmas in College, and they were around my age so 20 - 23. I don't know if they were the right people to ask about MMA. Ha

Although, B-Hop has said some outrageous sh*t about the superiority of Black Fighters, add this to the List…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back