Urijah Faber doesn't get enough credit

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What lightweight fighter (as in the lighter fighters, not the division) can maintain relevance at his age of 36? Urijah is still a top 4 guy at Bantamweight and would easily be top 8 at Featherweight if he wanted to go up there.

Most guys, especially the lighter weight classes peak at around 26-28 and it's downhill from there
e.g. wineland, jorgensen, bowles, Gamburyan

win or lose on June 4th, Urijah is a beast

I don't think it's a matter of discrediting Faber, anyone who has seen his last four fights at 135 which were Barao 2, Caceres, Sisco Rivera and Saenz sees a fighter who is clearly on the downside of his career, it's not a knock it's just reality and it happens to everyone.

I agree with you. I think he used to have the recognition he deserves a couple of years ago, but the successive (and failed) title shots seem to have caused him to get some sort of rejection by some fans along the way.

He's a beast, very well-rounded and not only that, he is really important to the sport. Especially when you consider the impact of what he has done to the lower divisions. He deserves all the praise.

No one knows how to deal with Dom's style better than Faber.

He was unfortunate with the timing of the UFC taking on the lighter weight classes!

So he has a bad credit rating?I wouldn't know about that...

He's featherweight

Faber gets a lot of credit for having never captured the title. I view him as sort of being the Chael Sonnen of Featherweight. He's a great wrestler who came close to winning the title several times, but always seems to come up short. He can only get but so much credit for beating up everyone but the top 3-4 guys. I don't think Faber gets any hate tho, accept from Cruz and TJ

He looks like a really nice/helpful friend/coach, but I don't get excited for his fights.

He's featherweight

Faber gets a lot of credit for having never captured the title. I view him as sort of being the Chael Sonnen of Featherweight. He's a great wrestler who came close to winning the title several times, but always seems to come up short. He can only get but so much credit for beating up everyone but the top 3-4 guys. I don't think Faber gets any hate tho, accept from Cruz and TJ

he did capture the title though, The UFC title signifies the best MMA fighter at that weight class, but back when UFC didnt have FW...he held the title of being the best FW around in the premiere MMA organization for that weight class

he did capture the title though, The UFC title signifies the best MMA fighter at that weight class, but back when UFC didnt have FW...he held the title of being the best FW around in the premiere MMA organization for that weight class

Well my point was, he didn't beat Aldo, the same way Chael didn't beat Anderson.

Then he was unable to clench Bantamweight. So given the fact that he was unsuccesfull in both title runs, you can only give him but so much credit.

Well my point was, he didn't beat Aldo, the same way Chael didn't beat Anderson.

Then he was unable to clench Bantamweight. So given the fact that he was unsuccesfull in both title runs, you can only give him but so much credit.
He was the best 145 lb fighter on the planet before Jose Aldo showed up. Just because the best fighters at FW were in WEC instead of the UFC doesn't discredit what Faber accomplished in his prime.

I started resenting him after it started being obvious that the UFC wanted him as a champion. He'd move around and always be one win away from a title shot. I don't know, I just don't like him I guess. I loved when he ran into Mike Browns hook though.

Last edited:
I like Faber just fine but him getting a rematch over Dillashaw is just wrong. Faber is 0-6 in his last championship fights.

Faber is probably my favorite fighter, and an idol of mine. Here's why.

From a fight perspective, he doesn't have one skill that stands out. He doesn't believe in the striker/BBJ/wrestler favoritism, he has said numerous times "get good at everything." Which is why if you give him a title shot, you can never really count him out. He has a chance. Although, arguably the way to be the best of the best is to be good at everything, and excellent at one thing.

Where stands out to me is outside the ring, is his life philosophy.

His gym. He built team alpha male as a family, not just a gym. He supports the up and comers, TJ, Paige etc. because he knows they will keep the team alive in the long term.

His style. The california style. Sandles, not suits. Comfort.

Class and honesty. He gives credit where credit is due, even if he doesn't like the person. He will praise Cruz for what he does well, even though he doesn't really like him. Or will say Duane is a good coach, even though he fucked him over.

Humor. He's a funny dude who doesn't take things too seriously. Piton?

Edit: Also, forgot to add heart. When he fought mike brown he broke both his hands early in the fight. So he fought basically the entire fight using only elbows and kicks.

Last edited:
Faber is 36? Damn. I respect Faber and he should be respected. During his hayday in the WEC he was their biggest draw.

He's featherweight

I know this will all be new to you, so I'll summarize.

Once upon a time, the featherweight division existed only in WEC, not UFC. Faber was the champion. In fact, his career extends back beyond even that! That's right... There are actually other promotions out there, and sometimes great fighters actually compete for them!

He was the best 145 lb fighter on the planet before Jose Aldo showed up. Just because the best fighters at FW were in WEC instead of the UFC doesn't discredit what Faber accomplished in his prime.
I believe brown had beaten Faber twice before aldo showed up.

I know this will all be new to you, so I'll summarize.

Once upon a time, the featherweight division existed only in WEC, not UFC. Faber was the champion. In fact, his career extends back beyond even that! That's right... There are actually other promotions out there, and sometimes great fighters actually compete for them!

Lol. I remember watching Faber get Knocked out by Matt Thomas Brown in 2008, when nobody knew what WEC was.

The fact is, Faber had a nice title run in WEC (and he did beat Cruz and Pulver) but he got thrashed by Brown and Aldo.
Then he dropped down, and lost to Cruz and Barao...

He's had a great career, but he wasn't the best for very long, he's just been a solid top 5 his entire career. If he had beaten any of the people I just named, he would have a lot more credit currently, but he didn't. Just like Chael never beat Anderson, just like JDS couldn't beat Cain again, just like Cormier can't beat Jones, just like Edgar couldn't beat Bendo and Aldo.

If you don't hold the belt, you're likely to not get a lot of credit

Mike Brown beat up Faber. Aldo smoked Mike Brown.

I believe brown had beaten Faber twice before aldo showed up.

True but Brown's reign was very short and after the Faber's fights he went downhill very very fast.
Like Bowles he stayed in top position for too little, so Faber still has his aura of being the second best FW from the WEC generation and being still competitive today contributes to give him the legend status.

Back