What Do You Think Would Be Most Important For The UFC To Learn From The Success Of Pro Wrestlers?

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The UFC still hasn't created stars on a par with the stardom of the greatest pro wrestlers of all time like Ric Flair, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Roddy Piper or The Rock. What do you think The UFC would have to learn from pro wrestling to be able to have stars on that level of fame?

I think their worst problem in The UFC is their interviews and promos. They're not good. Chael and Tank were decent but they're both retired. These fighters could learn a lot by studying the promos and interviews of these wrestlers. Also when you only work 2 or 3 times a year you're not in the public spotlight enough to really reach that level of stardom. These wrestlers were on TV every single week of the year, year after year when they were building their careers. They became huge stars but they worked incredibly hard for it. They travelled 2,500 miles every week in some promotions! They'd work over 300 times a year and were hardly ever home. It's much more stressful on families than MMA because wrestlers were away from home so much. It's a much tougher lifestyle than MMA. That's why Brock Lesnar initially quit pro wrestling - he couldn't stand the travel. He only came back because they offered him a part time schedule for full time pay.

I think the UFC has been learning way too much from pro-wrestling already. More than it should.

I don't understand why professional wrestling is tied to the UFC so often on this board. It would make more sense to compare it to other professional sporting organizations like the NFL, NBA, and MLB. Then, the answer would be that lack of mainstream appeal of cage fighting.

Fictional characters and athletes aren't build in the same way.
Do Messi, Ronaldo, Tiger Woods or Rafael Nadal have "great promos"?

How to break dance
48dkE21.gif

It doesn't matter whether they cheer for you or boo you, as long as they're not quiet.

The UFC sees the company as its number one priority first and foremost. The fighters are second nature to them. They could put more of there bigger named fighters into more mainstream promoting. You see it with other sports. But that's just my opinion.

Fictional characters and athletes aren't build in the same way.
Do Messi, Ronaldo, Tiger Woods or Rafael Nadal have "great promos"?

You do see it in sports but especially in combat sports. Do you know where Muhammad Ali got his ideas to cut the types of promos he did? He got the idea from watching pro wrestling. And look what it did for his career. Ali is still more famous than Messy, Ronaldo (who?), or Tiger Woods.

I don't understand why professional wrestling is tied to the UFC so often on this board. It would make more sense to compare it to other professional sporting organizations like the NFL, NBA, and MLB. Then, the answer would be that lack of mainstream appeal of cage fighting.

You don't see the similarities between The UFC and pro wrestling? You have two guys fighting for a title, or fighting their way towards a title shot, or fighting over some personal issue. The idea is to hurt someone enough to defeat them. The only major difference between the two is that the finishes in pro wrestling are pre-determined. That's less important than the similarities. If the sports weren't so similar you wouldn't see so many athletes who have done both MMA and pro wrestling. That right there should answer your question. How many NBA , NHL, or MLB players have also been pro MMA fighters? None, because there is no similarity between the sports!

Vince McMahon smiles proudly every time he hears something about the UFC

WWE has writers, choreographers, actors and unlimited amounts of drugs. UFC has drug use, but mild compared to WWE. So we don't get superhumans fighting one another in 1 hour fights, surviving impossible punishment and then come back so the winner is the one that ends up generating more publicity. If UFC were WWE, Ronda would keep finishing bitches in 10 seconds and RDA would be forced to fight with a broken foot.

Do more for charity, and let everyone know about it. Seriously, community service doesn't mean much if the only time you do it is when it's ordered by a court.

Personally I don't and have never wanted MMA to go the way of pro wrestling.

Back