Who is the greatest submission grappler in MMA history?

Who?

• Total voters

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
Repost since i dont think anyone would vote Ricco even tho he is one of the most wellrounded ever, arguably beat prime Nog on the ground. Plus theres enough HWs

021815-UFC-Frank-Mir-Antonio-Rodrigo-Nogueira-SS-PI.vadapt.980.high.72.jpg

As far as purely submissions go, I have Mir over Werdum just barely. If it's BJJ in general, I think Werdum is better than Mir due to his positional superiority and GNP defense being better.

Mir has a submission win over Roberto Traven, a champion in BJJ. Mir broke his arm in a minute.

Mir broke a prime 16-0 Tim Sylvia's arm in 50 seconds. Timmy's career definitely went down the shitter, but people forget he was a legit HW. He won the title from Ricco, another good HW fighter.

Mir submitted Lesnar in one of the most exciting fights ever with an iconic kneebar

Mir submitted Minotauro Nogueira while in fucking Zombie Mode.

Even when you look at his submission victories over people who aren't known for their ground game, it's not like these people were giving submissions away. Kongo, Hardonk, and Pete Williams all have 1 submission loss, all at the hands of one man....

t1DIcPE.gif

Frank Mir. The guy pulled a toe hold, for Christ's sake.

Wow. Three replies, three Mir fans. This thread had a good start.

Meanwhile, this poll makes Imanari upset.

Don't worry though, he is a nice guy.

maxresdefault.jpg

If any of you guys haven't heard of him, and you love submissions, check this dude out.

A-ma-zing.

This. Nate Diaz should be a name in
your poll too.

Nate is up there. Dont think hes better than anyone mentioned in the poll tho

Meanwhile, this poll makes Imanari upset.

Don't worry though, he is a nice guy.

maxresdefault.jpg

If any of you guys haven't heard of him, and you love submissions, check this dude out.

A-ma-zing.

Hes one of my fave MMA grapplers to watch but he just doesnt have the body of work against top competition over those guys. If it was most exciting id def have him up there tho

I voted Shinya Aoki...

However, there are more submission grapplers who are far ore proficient than some listed above...

Ken Shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Masakatsu Funaki, Jeremy Horn, Jeff Monson, Travis Fulton (152 sub wins), just to name a few.

Hes one of my fave MMA grapplers to watch but he just doesnt have the body of work against top competition over those guys. If it was most exciting id def have him up there tho
There are a lot of names and only a few poll slots, and it's partially subjective anyway, don't sweat it bro.

I voted Shinya Aoki...

However, there are more submission grapplers who are far ore proficient than some listed above...

Ken Shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Masakatsu Funaki, Jeremy Horn, Jeff Monson, Travis Fulton (152 sub wins), just to name a few.

Theyre not better than any of the guys i mentioned. Love Horn tho

LOL its more than sub count dude. Fulton??? WTF???? lol

UFC hype machine in full effect. Maia and Mir way in front...

There are a lot of names and only a few poll slots, and it's partially subjective anyway, don't sweat it bro.

I wish we got to see him more against top FWs in his prime. I mean he tapped Mike Brown but that was before Brown was the MTB. At least with Aoki we got to see him against top guys so its not a hesitancy in rating his grappling

Back