Myth that weight classes ruined boxing. There needs to be more division in the ufc now!

Isthat-yo bop

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There's seem to be some wide accepted idea that weight classes killed boxing that's not the truth. Talent not fighting the best talent is what caused that problem, and weird politics. Division will thin out regardless , due to weight cutting , so might as well and new division for health and competition. The light heavy weight class is dead due to weight cutting. Out of no where guys have gotten so good at it. Many of the top middle weights would have fought at 205 in the early 2000s.

There's seem to be some wide accepted idea that weight classes killed boxing that's not the truth. Talent not fighting the best talent is what caused that problem, and weird politics. Division will thin out regardless , due to weight cutting , so might as well and new division for health and competition. The light heavy weight class is dead due to weight cutting. Out of no where guys have gotten so good at it. Many of the top middle weights would have fought at 205 in the early 2000s.
the worry is that more decisions will exacerbate the problem by making it easier for top fighters to avoid each other.

I personally don't want to have 20 weight classes and close jumps that guys can run away to.

I think more weight classes would dilute what it means to be a UFC champ.

No thanks. It's hard enough to keep track of who's champion of what weight class as is.

I personally don't want to have 20 weight classes and close jumps that guys can run away to.

I think more weight classes would dilute what it means to be a UFC champ.
Watching them girls on the scale and it's down right kind of disgusting .

The weight classes are not light enough. They need a 80 lbs division .

Lots of things have played a part in the decrease of popularity in boxing.

TS, if you want to bust a myth, provide the cold hard facts.

So lets have Cormier 206 lbs champ, Hendo 204 lbs champ, Gus 203.5 lbs champ, Machida 186 lbs champ, Weidman 187 lbs champ, Silva 188 lbs champ and split the belts between UFC, Bellator and WSOF.

We don't need divisions with 5 pounds of separation, like in boxing. It's idiotic.

I've never heard of that myth in boxing. However, politics, promoters and all the different counsils (wba,ibf,wbo, etc.) have ruined boxing.

Last edited:
No there really doesn't need to be more weight divisions. It was a stupid suggestion when it was first mentioned years ago. It's still stupid. Actually it's even more stupid now with all this Conor shit. He's already holding up one weight division. Do we need fighters holding up multiple weight divisions ?

fire-gif-waxing-reactions.gif

We only need two weight classes. Men's and women's.

Your pick which one Ronda fights in.

Same day weighins and less divs.

Over 100kilos is heavyweight
90-100 is middle
80-90 is light
Under 80 is peckerweight

i think the ufc needs more weight classes

some things we know from a promotional stand point

belts= hype. thats their purpose. its way easier to sell a fight if theres a belt on the line. and additional belt means more opportunity

also these mythological superfights the fans want and the ufc dreams of putting together never happen. more belts will help make this a reality

weight cuts. more belts will make extreme weight cutting less of a necessity. right now you have to be small for a divison or a massive cutter in the one below

fairness. obviously some guys are just better suited to be at say 170. others are just unfortunately caught in the situation where the arbitrary numbers dont suit their body. more classes minimize this

i think the ufc is stuck on round numbers but shrinking the gap between 170, 185, and 205 weight classes would create an extra weight class and make things better. maybe bump LHW up to 210 also.

155, 167, 180, 195, 210, HW

or something close to that

The divisions in boxing are due to talent pools being so much deeper.

There isn't enough talent to fill the lowest weight classes or heavyweight division as it is. I don't support the idea of adding more weight classes. Even in the middle classes, like 155-205, there are issues with so many rematches. This would exacerbate that problem as well.

The weight classes are not light enough. They need a 80 lbs division .
80? Try 60. UFC would make millions off of midget, paraplegic cancer patients fighting aushwitz amputees.

Back