When is an immediate rematch ok?

BigTruck

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Like the title says when is it warranted? People shit on weidman for getting one but he beat Silva 2x defended the belt 3x and was competitive with Luke. If that's not good enough then what is?

Or

giphy.gif

A really close split decision. Then it's warranted

It always depends on what alternatives are available at the time. For some reason people fail to consider that. Weidman/Rockhold is perfectly reasonable when you consider there's a lack of other contenders.

Jones vs Gus is the most obvious one, but Jones didnt want it. Gus literally turned Jones into a duck as you can tell by this pic:

dmgsb2n.jpg

Tj v Cruz is why rematches should exist.

If fight is ended by a cut/injury/foul

Split decision doesn't really warrant it in my eyes, because what if the rematch is won by the loser in the first match by split? Do they do another instant rematch? I'm only talking about title fights in this situation. I don't really care about instant rematches in a split decision if its just another fight.

The potential rematch was immediately considered the most anticipated fight of the year 2014. Nice try.
No it wasn't. Nice try to you.

Gustafsson has been in two ppv main events. The combined number of buys didn't even reach 600k.

When Dana is upset that his big draw lost.

No it wasn't. Nice try to you.

Lol, it most definitely was. Dont start to argue something you know so little about. The rematch would have been the biggest payday of Jones` career at that point and he still didnt want it. Ducking pretty much cant come any more obvious than that.

Lol, it most definitely was. Dont start to argue something you know so little about. The rematch would have been the biggest payday of Jones` career at that point and he still didnt want it. Ducking pretty much cant come any more obvious than that.
You want Gustafsson to be this draw that he isn't. His combined two ppvs main events didn't even reach 600k.

Get the fuck outta here.

Split decisions and if it's from a long reigning champion. Aldo should have been given a rematch.

A. A draw.
B. A controversial decision
C. A long standing champ loses
D. A freak injury
E. If Conor loses.

You want Gustafsson to be this draw that he isn't. His combined two ppvs main events didn't even reach 600k.

Get the fuck outta here.

It obviously had nothing to do with Gus` draw power without Jones. Jesus fuck you guys are stupid here. Google it if you dont remember how pretty much everyone wanted to see the rematch immediately after the fight except Jones and few of his scared nuthuggers. All MMA media wrote about it.

After a title fight is scored as a split decision. Only then do I wish to see an immediate rematch

I feel this rushing with the rematches burns out a fighter to fast if he loses the rematch also. For example if Weidman looses against Rockhold again, he will be back to probably beating all other contenders and it will be difficult for him to get another shot. Why not wait with the rematch and have Weidman get at least two wins.

Never for a title fight. Earn your shot or your revenge at least twice.

Rematches are fuckery for contenders and are hotshotting bullshit which will kill the sport.

Last edited:
Back