Prime Kenny Florian vs McGregor

MarkHematominick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I acknowledge that these hypothetical matchups are pretty much pointless, but that does not mean it still wouldn't be fun to debate. Was reflecting on Kenny Florians fight game, and realized that him vs McGregor could have been very interesting. To my memory, Florian has only been finished with strikes once when he was fighting as an exceptionally undersized middleweight at the TUF 1 finale. He's fought some heavy hitters in his day, took some big shots from BJ, I think Takanori Gomi landed at least one bomb on him, and anyone who spends 25 minutes in the cage with Aldo has my respect, regardless of the outcome.

His chin has never been completely cracked, and I wonder how his technical prowess would match up with McGregors creative striking and the power that he brings at 145. Could be a good slobber knocker if they kept it standing, and could be interesting to see what happens if Kenny employs his ground game.

How to my Sherdog bros see that hypothetical fight going if it were to go down?

I acknowledge that these hypothetical matchups are pretty much pointless, but that does not mean it still wouldn't be fun to debate. Was reflecting on Kenny Florians fight game, and realized that him vs McGregor could have been very interesting. To my memory, Florian has only been finished with strikes once when he was fighting as an exceptionally undersized middleweight at the TUF 1 finale. He's fought some heavy hitters in his day, took some big shots from BJ, I think Takanori Gomi landed at least one bomb on him, and anyone who spends 25 minutes in the cage with Aldo has my respect, regardless of the outcome.

His chin has never been completely cracked, and I wonder how his technical prowess would match up with McGregors creative striking and the power that he brings at 145. Could be a good slobber knocker if they kept it standing, and could be interesting to see what happens if Kenny employs his ground game.

How to my Sherdog bros see that hypothetical fight going if it were to go down?

Head clean off - Kenny Florian

first round KO for Conor - Kenny Florian

"Conor McGregor would change my bum life" - Kenny Florian

Kenny Florian had a prime?

kenny-florian.jpg

-Kenny Florian

Doesn't Kenny Florian have the most RNCs in UFC history? That wouldn't be a good night for McGregor.

Doesn't Kenny Florian have the most RNCs in UFC history? That wouldn't be a good night for McGregor.
Pretty much, take down, submit. Done. It might take a while and he might take some punishment in the process, but he could just follow the same game plan as Tate vs. Holm.

Jesus F'n Christ. Kenny is a nice guy and he developed decent striking to go with his BJJ. But he's one of the most overrated fighters in UFC history. Did he ever win a big fight because if he did I don't remember.

Pretty much, take down, submit. Done. It might take a while and he might take some punishment in the process, but he could just follow the same game plan as Tate vs. Holm.
Maybe but I've seen a lot of people say they wouldn't choose Tate over Holm more than 5 times out of 10 fights, I'm pretty sure the only way McGregor wins is if he lands a big power shot, Kenny is a lot more Jiu-jitsu savvy than Tate and has better stand-up too.

It's a good question. Kenny was technical, tough, smart and adaptable.

Jesus F'n Christ. Kenny is a nice guy and he developed decent striking to go with his BJJ. But he's one of the most overrated fighters in UFC history. Did he ever win a big fight because if he did I don't remember.
I think his biggest win was Huerta. Prime Huerta mind you but still, Kenny was good but never among the elite.

Not Connor fan at all but I will gladly say Connor via tko. Kenny seemed to always lose fighting the very top guys

Kenny Florian had a prime?

People really underestimate Florian - his rather unremarkable start to his career cultivated the image of him being a journeyman, which kind of stuck with him even as he became a Top 5 fighter.

Outside of elite wrestlers and the very best of the division (i.e. Penn, Aldo), Florian was a killer.

While Connor would still probably be the favorite, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Florian won. Florian held his own against Prime BJ and Aldo for majority of their fights. The only times he was ever dominated was against guys with a suffocating top game (Sherk and Maynard).

"Strap this to your sore ass, Blane....." Kenny Florian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back