Self Reflections: Why do we enjoy MMA or in general fighting so much?

Reaction score
The idea to this thread started with this post and the sequent discussion:
This thread just made me think "What is it about 2 guys hitting each other really hard that's so much fun?"
Fun when they get KTFO after they were talking mad shit, or tapped out, etc....or hate to say it...but the UFC's "heels" really make you want to see them get destroyed in the ring...like Ronda and Cloner.

Also, when your guy gets KTFO or subbed, have to face the butt hurt and hope he can come back (Like BJ, GSP, etc....).
No, man, like that Shogun Henderson gif and those guys go at it. Why is it so fun when two guys hit each other so hard?

Do you have any ideas?

It's the purest sport. Other sports take a round-about way of determining who is the more fit, superior man, physically; mma determines it directly.

Genetic code ... and imo its also a subconscient reflection of our conscience telling us we are slaves of the system

It dates back to the romans (or probably even before that) when they would put gladiators in a stadium and watch them kill each other.

We enjoy watching threatening looking savages/people step into cages/rings/stadiums and beat the living shit out of each other to see who the best fighter is. It helps relieve aggression in ourselves and also lets us enjoy the most simplistic/violent sport imaginable

It's the purest sport. Other sports take a round-about way of determining who is the more fit, superior man, physically; mma determines it directly.
I have to agree with your concept. It doesn't matter if you can hit a ball with a stick, throw a ball through a hole or kick a ball into a net better than me if I can beat the shit out of you.

Been a fan of Martial Arts movies since as long as I can remember. Grew up on Big Trouble in Little China, Bloodsport, Ninja Turtles (the original ones), Karate Kid (original), Lionheart, Kickboxer, American Ninja, etc. Just fun movies, and of course we had to act out the fight scenes later. Ahh, to be a kid again. Gave me a lifelong love of seeing people get the shit kicked out of them.

People have reveled over watching 2 other human beings spill eachothers blood for over 2000 years, yet a few journalists think they can call MMA cock fighting and humanity will revolt when in reality this is how we react when we see blood and violence.

Last edited:
Yep- you guys have covered things nicely already, imo.

I always see American football as such a waste of athletic talent and energy.

You can run around with a ball all you like, but if the opposing player can beat your ass afterward, where do the chips truly fall?

lol.gif

Grew up doing TMA. Shared many years with my pops enjoying boxing until the '90s decline. Lived in multiple urban neighborhoods where I've experienced and imparted ass-whoopings (unfortunately an underrated learning experience these days). For a guy like me... what fk'n sport can compare?

Yeah I've basically been obsessed with combat as long as I can remember. Whether it was Kickboxer being my favorite movie, watching shows like DBZ and power rangers as a youngin and wanting to imitate, or watching boxing and pro wrestling with my dad, as far back as my memory goes all of my favorite things have been sports and combat.

I have to agree with your concept. It doesn't matter if you can hit a ball with a stick, throw a ball through a hole or kick a ball into a net better than me if I can beat the shit out of you.

giphy.gif

Not sure about purest. What about like sprinting or weightlifting? Isn't that even more pure? Straight up, who is faster or stronger, no luck, no subjectivity of judging, just I'm faster or stronger than you.

I mean, how pure is MMA when someone runs around, lands a couple of tippy tap leg kicks, or someone scores a few takedowns but does zero damage and it ends in some controversial decision?

Last edited:
Yep- you guys have covered things nicely already, imo.

I always see American football as such a waste of athletic talent and energy.

You can run around with a ball all you like, but if the opposing player can beat your ass afterward, where do the chips truly fall?

but for creatures like humans, co-operation is more important to surviving than being the one strongest person, if you want to look at it from some kind of primal point of view

both are a complete waste beyond what personal interest you have in them, let's be honest

Back