Is saying a fighter "gassed" the worst excuse for a loss

danny23

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People act as though it's something unnatural or unusual,like fighting with an injury,sickness or anything else.

I don't think having a poor gas tank,even just for that night only is a valid excuse.

No. Saying that the fighter sucks is. Like come on dude...they're in a cage fighting and you're sitting on your ass talking shit.

It can be because of an adrenaline dump/bad cut...
Still, it must suck to have to actually go through it. Being drained and having a world class opponent that is about to put all his/her energy into hurting you

No. Saying that the fighter sucks is. Like come on dude...they're in a cage fighting and you're sitting on your ass talking shit.

You mean like this?

giphy.gif

"Conditioning is your best submission hold"
--Karl Gotch

Conditioning is part of the fight game. Deal with it.

It can be because of an adrenaline dump/bad cut...
Still, it must suck to have to actually go through it. Being drained and having a world class opponent that is about to put all his/her energy into hurting you

The adrenaline dumb will really fuck with fighters. I could spar 6, 3 min rounds everyday. But my first fight after the first round....i was like holy shit. I could hardly pick up my arms lol. But the cardio part. As a pro fighter i think you need to have the cardio to last 5 rounds.

It isnt when a fighter tries to go for finish with every bomb he drops
imo the worst excuse is weight cut issues .... unless its a short notice fight

Try getting into a fight. Adrenaline will gas you in two mins. You'll think twice about it being a valid reason.

Losing because you gassed is no more legit an excuse than losing because your bjj sucks or you were too slow. Your gas tank is a part of your skillset

Depends on the case, punching yourself out going for the KO, adrenaline dump, wrong gameplan, etc...
I think it's legitimate.

It's not an excuse. Cardio is extremely important.

I think "gassing" is too broad a term, or at least needs qualifiers. If someone's body is getting worked over in a fight and they gas, that makes sense. If someone goes for the finish from the jump and tires out trying to get it, that was a gamble of energy that didn't pay off. If someone gases without either of things happening, that's when criticism might make sense.

"gassing" is an excuse to the extent it differs from normal performance.

in other words, if a fighter shows good pace and good cardio for 10 fights, and on the 11th he is sucking wind inside the first round, it is fair to say that something went wrong and that the result is out of the ordinary.

so, cain "gassed" against werdum because cain is usually pushing the pace, whereas hammerhouse doesnt "gas" because they cant put out for more than 2 minutes.

It IS too broad a term. SOmeone could rightfully be tired if they are in a hellacious war,but seeing something like aleksander emelianenko gassing hard to the pressure of Barnett in the first round (granted its a 10 min round) is something we shouldnt be seeing. he should be in better shape/better prepared for that. I expect more out of him than that.

People act as though it's something unnatural or unusual,like fighting with an injury,sickness or anything else.

I don't think having a poor gas tank,even just for that night only is a valid excuse.
It's not an excuse, it's a reason for performing poorly.

Some people might attempt to use it as an excuse, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a very real thing, and one of the worst feelings possible as an athlete.

Now if they didn't prepare properly, then it's obviously their own fault and they have no one to blame. But sometimes an athlete has done everything in their power to be ready, and they still run into a more frantic pace than they can sustain or have an abnormal adrenaline dump due to nerves or whatever, and it renders them unable to perform at their typical or necessary level.

Only useless meat sacks talk about athletes having "excuses". Everyone else has either been there and understands, or is an intelligent enough person to conclude what likely happened.

Go derp your head under water for minutes please.

I don't think it's a good excuse, but it can be a reason for losses.

UberReem vs EcoReem, the high efficiency version...less muscle, greater cardiovascular capacity, less oxygen intake required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back