Closing the gap between Jones and Cormier

twone21

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Last edited:
It's crazy how much DC is hoping that Jones has gotten worse.

If I want fight breakdowns. I go to Ken Flo.

Simple as that.

Hey guys here is my second breakdown!

Thanks for the positive feedback on the first one.

https://fightbreakdownsblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/29/closing-the-gap-between-jones-and-cormier/

If any one else has tactics or game plans for Cormier that I didn't touch on please share!

With the gap in reach so significant, I really think DC should utilize kicks, because these would be at the end of the range that Jones is setting.

Inside, Jones is stronger than DC, as was established in the first fight.

Nice breakdown, and I agree with you, another boring ass decision from point fighter Jones, unless DC goes K1 heavy on him.

Jones by UD probably 4 rounds again.

I don't think anyone is truly excited for this fight, but I suppose its necessary given the belt situation.

Good analysis

With the gap in reach so significant, I really think DC should utilize kicks, because these would be at the end of the range that Jones is setting.

Inside, Jones is stronger than DC, as was established in the first fight.

Nice breakdown, and I agree with you, another boring ass decision from point fighter Jones, unless DC goes K1 heavy on him.
Jones caught Cormier's kick and used that to trip him and take him down. Also Cormier has never really been an active kicker but it would help him hit Jones as Jones moves away

Cause he's not as good as a fighter with less range and tools

Didn't DC say he will take Jones down and hold him down?

Cause he's not as good as a fighter with less range and tools
Yup! That actually is a good summary haha. However I would say Cormier's boxing is better as Jones' stuggled alot when forced to box Gustaffson. Jones avoids the boxing aspect of MMA completely by clinching once someone is in boxing range.

a good break down. those single collar clinch punches were money for dc. He needs to make that his bread and butter for the next fight.

He faded in the championship rounds. He landed like single digit strikes both rounds and looked content on losing. Either he gassed hard or he was butthurt over getting taken down so easily by a community college wrestler.

Plans are plans, you still gotta doh it....its gonna be chess w 4 oz gloves on.

The biggest problem was DCs mindset going into the fight. Being undefeated and having never been taken down was actually a detriment. He went into the fight with the mindset he could never be taken down and would be able to ragdoll and outgrind Jones. It seems that was his plan and he had no backup plan. And when he found out he could be taken down and couldnt grind Jones down he broke and gassed.
Good thing is he knows this and can readjust with that knowledge and acceptance. He knows he cannot just outgrind Jones, he has to beat him because hes better not because hes the "king of the grind". Hes the better boxer, he has to avoid grappling and the clinch and also not stay on the outside either. He has to maintain a forward pressure and stay in that goldielocks zone where hes neither too close nor too far away and box Jones up. It wont be easy but theres a path to victory.

He faded in the championship rounds. He landed like single digit strikes both rounds and looked content on losing. Either he gassed hard or he was butthurt over getting taken down so easily by a community college wrestler.

MAYBE those hard knees and punches that JJ landed over and over again on DC had an effect on his cardio in latter rounds...

Jones is the worst stylistically fight for DC, i don`t see how could he win, another dominant decision for Jones or a late submission or TKO(doubt it).

DC vs Mir had him at 72.5" reach for Cormier, theres FWs with longer reach........

The biggest problem was DCs mindset going into the fight. Being undefeated and having never been taken down was actually a detriment. He went into the fight with the mindset he could never be taken down and would be able to ragdoll and outgrind Jones. It seems that was his plan and he had no backup plan. And when he found out he could be taken down and couldnt grind Jones down he broke and gassed.
Good thing is he knows this and can readjust with that knowledge and acceptance. He knows he cannot just outgrind Jones, he has to beat him because hes better not because hes the "king of the grind". Hes the better boxer, he has to avoid grappling and the clinch and also not stay on the outside either. He has to maintain a forward pressure and stay in that goldielocks zone where hes neither too close nor too far away and box Jones up. It wont be easy but theres a path to victory.
^^^^^^ exactly my points! Glad I'm not crazy because that's truly the only way I see Cormier winning. How do you maintain a boxing distance agaisnt a guy who has 12inches on you and amazing clinch entries?

^^^^^^ exactly my points! Glad I'm not crazy because that's truly the only way I see Cormier winning. How do you maintain a boxing distance agaisnt a guy who has 12inches on you and amazing clinch entries?

Alot of shuckin and jivin. Angles, head movement and footwork. As soon as Jones tries to initiate the clinch shuck him off, dip that head and fire off punches or explode back angle left or right and fire off the uppercut. Despite the massive reach advantage DC was able to land some solid punches and actually did remarkably well in that goldielocks sort of mid-close range zone. That reach advantage can also be a big disadvantage if you know how to take advantage of it. With long arms when you miss you miss big like swinging a big long heavy claymore and the reset for attack is also alot slower. DC has to stay in that range though and has to redline it all night which wont be easy.

Alot of shuckin and jivin. Angles, head movement and footwork. As soon as Jones tries to initiate the clinch shuck him off, dip that head and fire off punches or explode back angle left or right and fire off the uppercut. Despite the massive reach advantage DC was able to land some solid punches and actually did remarkably well in that goldielocks sort of mid-close range zone. That reach advantage can also be a big disadvantage if you know how to take advantage of it. With long arms when you miss you miss big like swinging a big long heavy claymore and the reset for attack is also alot slower. DC has to stay in that range though and has to redline it all night which wont be easy.
Yea he had his best success when breaking Jon from the clinch and getting his boxing in. He also did a good job of grabbing single-collars to do damage in midst of boxing flurriers.
Hm I disagree on Jones reach being a disadvantage. He compensates for close range by throwing elbows and just being incredibly fast.

Back