Is there a better kicker in the UFC than Edson Barboza?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
I used to think Pettis was equal or greater but now I think Edson proved more effective.

The only other guy I can think of is Aldo. That being said, my two cents are:

• Aldo has never finished a fight with kicks in the UFC or WEC
  • Barboza has 4 kick finishes in UFC alone (most in UFC history).
  • Barboza has the far better variety. I've never seen anyone throw an inside leg kick the way Barboza did against Pettis. His switch kick is also the best in the game, his spinning back kicks are precise, and yeah, there's the wheel kick too.
  • Even the speed is similar despite the weight class difference.
What do you think? Anyone else to be considered?

Not currently.

I think Wonderboy deserves to be in the discussion too.

Michael Johnson outstruck him in a straight stand up battle so yes.

Jon Jones.Spinning body kicks,oblique kicks etc.May not be as impressive,but he uses his kicks to pretty much ruin peoples styles.

Yair has some crazy kicks.

But in terms of power, Barboza is a savage.

In my opinion Stephen Thompson who has more of a variety of kicking techniques. Barboza for me comes in second.

Edson+Barboza+Spinning+Heel+Kicks+Terry+Etim+-+UFC+142.gif

Michael Johnson outstruck him in a straight stand up battle so yes.
Yeah I'm glad Johnson landed 7 more strikes over three rounds and was half as accurate. Pettis landed more on Barboza than Johnson literally. What a domination!

Jon Jones.Spinning body kicks,oblique kicks etc.May not be as impressive,but he uses his kicks to pretty much ruin peoples styles.

Oblique kicks are a bitch move.

To answer tc, no. Barboza is most likey the best, most effective kicker in the ufc.

The scariest thing is that if you see it full speed,his foot looks like it didn't slow down after impact at all.It kept going full speed.Imagine how hard it must have hit him...

Another UFC fighter overrated after a meaningless win.

Cro Cop, he retired only because of the suspension - once it is lifted up he will be back for a fight or two

Maybe Wonderboy. Reem is also lethal if he kicks with intent.

Remember when Pettis was in the discussion of best kickers in MMA? Jesus, he has fallen off bad.

Barboza, Aldo, Vitor and Wonderboy all deserve a mention IMO.

Back