Is Shogun still #2 LHW GOAT?

CTYankee

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Love him or hate him, I think that just about everyone agrees that Jones is the LHW GOAT and before that I think Shogun was the consensus LHW GOAT. When he was passed by Jones everyone thought Shogun was #2. He hasn't done much to add to his resume in a while.

I know Gus beat him but Shogun was past his prime by then and it was closer than a lot of people remember.

Has he been passed by Cormier or if Cormier beats Jones does he then pass Shogun? Has someone else passed him or on the verge of passing him?

What do you guys think?

Cormier's still only 4-1 at LHW and two of those wins were verus opponents who weren't near the top of the division, as big as beating Jones would be I don't think that takes him to #2.

I believe Wand was the LHW GOAT before Jones. Anyways this is how i see it :
1. Jones
2. Wand
3. Shogun
4. Rampage
5. Liddell

The reality is that sherdog doesn't like him. Even when he used to be a real mofo at some point.

i love me some shogun but ....shogun probably not even 2,3 all time.. counting his prime

I believe Wand was the LHW GOAT before Jones. Anyways this is how i see it :
1. Jones
2. Wand
3. Shogun
4. Rampage
5. Liddell
Pretty much how I see it, but Chuck nut lovers may see it differently because he beat a washed up Wand.

Eh,

its kind of Jones and then the field, no one was really that dominate before JBJ showed up. I would put Liddel, Couture, and Evans above him though.

Shogun's run in the 05 GP is one of the best runs ever. It's either him or Wand, but I think Shogun was the more talented of the two.

I think if you look purely at who are the two best lhws ever putting aside resume, cormier and jones are.

But cormier doesn't have the resume to match the greatest lhws ever.

It's a shame cormier is so old too because if he was a little younger I think he would have beaten jones.

Strike force GP is the closest we will get to prime cormier but he was lacking experience

The reality is that sherdog doesn't like him. Even when he used to be a real mofo at some point.
I don't see that at all. I think he is among the most loved guys on Sherdog. His fan base on the other hand...

I'd say it's:

Jones
Shogun
Wand/Liddell/Rampage

healthy Shogun was one of the best fighter ever.

but, injury prevent him from real greatness.

LHW
#1 Bones
#2 Cormier (sorry hater)
#3 Wand
#4 Liddell
#5 Shogun

Shogun is very accomplished, but if we're talking "prime VS. prime" match-ups...

Jones, DC, Gus and Rumble >>>> Shogun, Wand, Chuck and Rampage (no specific order)

I think a "GOAT" would be someone who transcends the sport and performs well and wins against opponents from the next generation too
GSP did that to a certain extent
Dominick Cruz too
But Shogun, well...

This is very hard, because there are so many good guys who have beaten one another, and then you have Pride vs. UFC rules, which dramatically impact the way guys fight (see Randleman vs. Rampage verses Rashad vs. Rampage). This is the best I could do:

1. Jones
2. Chuck, Shogun, Rampage
5. Couture, Cormier
7. Machida
8. Rashad
9. Wand
10. Tito, Arona

1. Jones
2. Shogun (2005 + UFC title)
3. Rampage (2 wins over Liddell, UFC title + unified UFC/PrideFC titles from Hendo)
4. Liddell/Wand
5. if we keep going, Tito has to be mentioned but he's easily further down from the pack.

DC is only 4-1 at LHW. His name shouldn't be in the same sentence as the above LHW legends (at this time, possibly never as he's already 37 and Jones may shadow him the same way Wand overshadowed Rampage for years)

Nostalgia says Shogun is number 2 but my head says black Fedor

Back