What is the outcome of the McDrama for Conor? Is he better or worse off?

real2124

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think Conor has lost a lot of credibility, weakened his relationship with Zuffa and missed out on a mega payday... Is there an upside though?

Thoughts?

His return probably will have more media coverage than any other fight in a long time and bring in huge numbers.

Whatever the UFC was offering wasn't enough, in Conor's mind, to justify being slapped around like a prison bitch on a massive PPV event at MSG.

Short-term, looks either greedy or gutless. Long-term, could be good investment in his brand. People don't like to buy broken shit.

I think Conor has lost a lot of credibility, weakened his relationship with Zuffa and missed out on a mega payday... Is there an upside though?

Thoughts?
Definately worse off

Sure he's rich but there's huge backlash against him and people are losing interest in him

His "brand" now comes accross insecure and whiny

I don't see any upside for Conor.

He wanted Aldo rematch for 1. money 2. he didn't want edgar
Then he wanted RDA for 1. money 2. he didn't want Edgar
Then he took Nate for 1. money 2. he didn't want edgar
Then he wanted a rematch with Nate 1. money 2. he didn't want Edgar or the now nearly impossible weightcut
Now he wants to quit promoting his fights so that he can train more and have a shot in hell at beating Nate because he knows he can't return to 145 or be elite at 155 or 170

So there is upside for UFC by covering all of this bullshit, but no, Conor is enjoying the end of his run here

The reason why Edgar is so low on the list of priorities is because he's such a poor draw.

200w.gif

No one wins.

People act like UFC have won by setting a precedent and having Jones vs Cormier 2 as the new main event. Jones isn't a huge draw and their first fight, with a much stronger narrative, managed 800K. And the idea of there being a precedent set is a tad naive; there's no one else in the UFC that can ask for any sort of leeway because they lack the popularity. If UFC granted McGregor a lighter PR schedule, it's hardly likely that any other fighter would make demands because no one else really has that power to. The idea of UFC being first and the fighters second is one is a precendent that no one can really touch. The UFC may well be made to look foolish if McGregor's PPV outsells UFC 200 because it will say that McGregor is bigger than the biggest show of all-time. Financially, the UFC may win but having UFC 200 considered a flop will hurt their position in this power struggle and would be bad PR.

It depends a lot on 200s finnancial success

Then he wanted a rematch with Nate 1. money 2. he didn't want Edgar or the now nearly impossible weightcut
Now he wants to quit promoting his fights so that he can train more and have a shot in hell at beating Nate because he knows he can't return to 145 or be elite at 155 or 170

So there is upside for UFC by covering all of this bullshit, but no, Conor is enjoying the end of his run here

Not calling you a n00b or anything, but you seem to have an awful lot of hatred directed towards Conor for someone that joined this very day.

Too many steaks for breakfast... Now he's fucked.

Thoughts?

He is going to Bellator. LW Bellator division has better competition than current Conor FW division.

Not calling you a n00b or anything, but you seem to have an awful lot of hatred directed towards Conor for someone that joined this very day.

Lol, how do I hate Conor?

He's out of options and has backed himself into a corner... His style is a bad match against Edgar (he has no takedown defense), he can't make weight at 145 anymore. He can't contend at 155 or 170 because he just got plastered by Nate. That is factual, I never said I hated Conor?

His return probably will have more media coverage than any other fight in a long time and bring in huge numbers.
the media internet twitter is the only thing keep him relevant. as everybody keep forgetting he didnt just lose. he had a guy take all his best punches smile and in turn whip him in stand up so bad he tried to wrestle and got choke out.. casuals only remember all the shit he talked not that he lost his last fight .

Definately worse off

Sure he's rich but there's huge backlash against him and people are losing interest in him

His "brand" now comes accross insecure and whiny
"Huge backlash" , as evidenced by the multitude of know it all sherdog mma elitist,LMFAO! Losing SO much interest in fact that sherdog is lit 24/7 with McGregor threads, and all the fans who have "lost interest" are chomping at the bit to add their 2 cents in lengthy , drawn out paragraphs about how terrible he is and why he is done.

Financially, no one wins.

That said, I've been thinking Conor lost his head, due to the pressure he put on himself. There's no doubt the guy can battle, so if this moment gives him some clarity and peace, he'll make a strong comeback. Otherwise, if he stays broken, he might be done.

"Huge backlash" , as evidenced by the multitude of know it all sherdog mma elitist,LMFAO! Losing SO much interest in fact that sherdog is lit 24/7 with McGregor threads, and all the fans who have "lost interest" are chomping at the bit to add their 2 cents in lengthy , drawn out paragraphs about how terrible he is and why he is done.
Elitists plural

Thoughts?

He doesn't have to get beat up by Nate again... at least not right away.

No real upside for Conor. This is more so the UFC drawing a line in the sand and saying who's boss.

Conor isn't calling shots anymore. There's no fight against RDA anymore. There's no rematch against Nate anymore. No super fight against GSP or Ruthless anymore. Now Connor has to make that horrible cut again to 145 and fight either Frankie/Aldo. He's loses that title and he's really SOL.

Last edited:
the media internet twitter is the only thing keep him relevant. as everybody keep forgetting he didnt just lose. he had a guy take all his best punches smile and in turn whip him in stand up so bad he tried to wrestle and got choke out.. casuals only remember all the shit he talked not that he lost his last fight .
Yea, anyone who doesn't agree with you and your sherbuddies MUST be a casual, right? GTFO with your idea that your positions on MMA and McGregor are the end all be all. I've been an MMA fan since day 1 and I happen to like McGregor, and I remember quite distinctly him knocking Aldo The Fuck Out despite "experts" like yourself saying he had no chance. He is the FW Champ, I think that will keep him relevant enough for us "casual" types until his next fight

Back