Who has a worse situation - Mendes, Pettis or Hendricks if he loses to Gast

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Mendes

The situation is pretty clear, he steam rolls through anyone not named McGregor, Edgar or Aldo. The only problem is, he will have to beat one of these guys to get another crack at the championship. So does the UFC strictly treat him as a prize fighter, allowing him to choose fights that he can make money off of. I dont really see them matching him up with any rising contenders at the moment, as he would probably defeat any of them, ruining their hype

Potential matchups -- Jeremy Stephens vs Barao loser, Hacran Dias, Kawajari

Pettis

This guy needs a win, hes lost 3 decision losses and has not looked good in any of them. I thnk the UFC needs to be careful in selecting his next matchup, and not only give him a winnable fight, but give him one where he has a change to showcase his striking skills.

Potential matchups -- Pourier/Bobby Green loser, Santos/Dunham winner, Adriano Martins

Hendricks

I think Gasteleum grinds him out, and sends Jonny to his 3rd straight loss, we'll hoping both of them make weight. It seems Jonny only cares about the title, and I dont think he has a realistic shot at moving up to MW and winning a title. I think he has to go back to the drawing board, win a couple fights, then hopefully get a #1 contender fight in about 2 years

Potenital matchups off a win - Rory Mc if he beats Wonderboy, Magny, Cote/Cerrone winner
Potential matchups off a loss - Rory if he loses to Wonderboy, Maia if he loses to Brown, Woodley if he loses to Lawler, Cote/Cerrone loser

you forgot Gustafsson, 1-4 in last four fights, like Mendes

Mendes lost to all top3 fighters
Same as Gustafson

No shame in that.

If Hendricks loses to Gastelum, the situation would be a little worse for Hendricks and Pettis.

So them, Hendricks and Pettis

Hendricks cause he doesn't have his restaurant to fall back on anymore.

So Restaurant-less Hungry Hendricks is born maybe?

Pettis arguably won Alvarez fight

Pettis and Hendricks should be 1-1 in last 2

Mendes and Gus situations are bad

you forgot Gustafsson, 1-4 in last four fights, like Mendes

He is 1-3 not 1-4,But the crazy thing with gus is if Jones wins im ok with him getting a ts at jones again.But i also think chad has a tough fight with Olivera and Holloway

Mendez is in the worst spot.

I don't think he could be Holloway, and he can't change weightclasses.
Pettis and Hendricks have more options

How bout Benavidez?

No matter how many fights he wins....does anyone want to see JB-MM 3?

Mendes The situation is pretty clear, he steam rolls through anyone not named McGregor, Edgar or Aldo

This same thing was being stated after he first lost to Aldo. Then Conor, then Edgar and it's probably gonna continue with every loss untill it becomes "Mendes steam rolls through everyone outside the top 10".

Last edited:
He is 1-3 not 1-4,But the crazy thing with gus is if Jones wins im ok with him getting a ts at jones again.But i also think chad has a tough fight with Olivera and Holloway
yeah 1-3 not 1-4. Please no more free title shots for Gus get a couple of wins, finish guys impressively and get your title shot

This same thing was being stated after he first lost to Aldo. Then Connor, then Edgar and it's probably gonna continue with every loss untill it becomes "Mendes steam rolls through everyone outside the top 10".

Truth.

Its always the same on Sherdog, when the fighter is undefeated he will retire undefeated. When he loses to x fighter, he "steamrolls anyone not named x."

Goes on like that...

Gus has nothing to worry about, he lost the dc in a great fight lost to jones in a great fight, and Imo the loss to rumble was compromised by a headbutt. I think not getting caught by rumble gus wins, but even still rumble can shut the lights out on anyone if he touches you clean, no shame on any of that, Mendes is in trouble not cause of who he lost to cause I mean no shame in any of that but, that chin, I feel like he doesn't have much left, hendricks doesn't have the fire anymore Imo he is too worried about pts fighting, I think hendricks and mendes have the most downside right now, pettis I'm on the fence with. He has potential to come back to the top but i feel like changes need to be made. If he keeps training with different people like he did with cerrone and Jackson's then maybe that's a change that needs to happen full time, he Def needs to get that confidence back.

Last edited:
Pettis, cause at least Mendes and Big Rig provided some highlights in their last matches.

I think probably the worst situation is Pettis then Mendes then Hendricks.

Pettis losing 3 in a row is bad for him, no shame in the RDA loss but he just couldn't pull the trigger against Eddie and then gets worked over in the standup by Barboza which is meant to be his bread and butter, physically and mentally he seems on the decline.

The reason I think Mendes is better off than Pettis is because he doesn't have 3 straight back to back losses, a KO win over another contender in Lamas is pretty big. Plus he did well against Aldo in their second fight and against Conor with a short camp. Edgar is a very tough match up for him but with the current landscape all of the top 4 could end up bumping each other off and opening up new rematches.

Hendricks is fine and looked in great shape in his last fight, plus he already holds a win over Robbie. He just needs to stop the idiotic chasing with the power punches against a superior strikers and work in his wrestling more.

probably Mendes he's fallen off hardest IMO. Then again both Pettis and Big Rig lost to fighters they were supposed to beat, whilst Mendes/Edgar was considered 50/50.

Mendes because even if he improves, his chin has been battered so much it's a question mark.

Pettis lost a SD to Alvarez in a fight Alvarez didn't deserve to win. Then he got beat at his own game but there aren't many guys who can do that so he'll be fine.

probably Mendes he's fallen off hardest IMO. Then again both Pettis and Big Rig lost to fighters they were supposed to beat, whilst Mendes/Edgar was considered 50/50.
"Fighters they were supposed to beat".

Whatever that means in mma.

As long as mendes chin recovers to what it used to be he beats both edgar and mcgregor in a rematch.

As long as mendes chin recovers to what it used to be he beats both edgar and mcgregor in a rematch.
Edgar was always better. Doesn't mean it's impossible Mendes could win (he has more power) but Edgar is the far more technical fighter.

I agree he beats Conor with a camp though

Hendricks, the UFC doesn't like him. Pettis and Mendes are company men. Hendricks may or may not be but he screwed up a card failing a weight cut, lay and pray, says dumb shit, ect.

Back