Jones can afford to lose, DC not so much

Sherwolf

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
If Jones loses, he gets a trilogy fight that can be milked for the next 12-16 months. DC losing will set him back at least a couple of years before another shot at Jones and at his age could very well lead to his retirement as 2nd best. Question is will this play a factor in the "fight to the death" rounds 4 and 5. Thoughts?

Think you´re right, and because Bones will win this DC will retire IMO.

I am dreaming DC wins this fight and that the rubber match happens at HW when one of them has the belt.

If DC loses, he goes to HW with the storyline that he's undefeated at that weight class, and only because of Cain did he drop down in the first place.

If Werdum beats Cain, expect DC to go back to HW to get a chance to fight for the HW title. Idk if Cain would be able to drop to LHW but he'd be in a similar situation after getting beat a 2nd time by Werdum so he may try for LHW.

Jones beat DC...DC moves back to HW and wins title...Jones moves to HW shortly after and takes his title.

Poor DC

if dc loses its over for him.
no shame though

I agree with you ... thats one of the reasons i want Cormier to win

If Bones wins, Cormier can go back to HW and continue to stomp aging cans, or just hang around LHW a while until he gets bored. (Jones will probably move up in 2 years anyway)
If Bones loses, then thats a major dent in his legacy, and he will have to beat DC handily in a 3rd fight (which would sell huge) but he misses his opportunity to go to heavyweight (probably).
This is a big fight for either fighter, but I'd say Jones has more to lose/prove than DC.. If Jones loses than he that ruins his plans for dominating 2 weightclasses and retiring undefeated, DC on the otherhand just loses a belt he never really had.

It would be worse for DC, but not good for Jon either. It's very rare that one of these unbeatable guys loses once and then just goes right back to kicking ass. They usually take several losses because they lose confidence and other guys gain it and they don't fight like beating you is a long shot anymore. Happened to Fedor, Anderson, Machida, most contenders who lose their title shot. The only guy I can think of who didn't fall off after a loss is GSP, and we all know much his style changed and he stopped taking any chances during his fights.

I personally think DC is better than Cain and should go to HW and prove it. He has definitely proven he has a harder win to get than Cain is.

If Jones loses, he gets a trilogy fight that can be milked for the next 12-16 months. DC losing will set him back at least a couple of years before another shot at Jones and at his age could very well lead to his retirement as 2nd best. Question is will this play a factor in the "fight to the death" rounds 4 and 5. Thoughts?

Most sherdoggers can't wait to experience Jon Jones first loss, they will butcher him and make him seem overestimated. Just like they did with Anderson Silva.

DC has options. He could retire for the TV gig. He could move up. He could stay at LHW. Being number 2 is better than everybody else.

And the Jones fight isn't a done deal. Shit happens, but DC lost a major window when he pulled out of 197. That was the worst Jones ever.

200 is in a little over 2 months. I'm looking forward to this fight.

I really can't see DC changing weight class as he will be seen as ducking Jones.

If DC loses, he goes to HW with the storyline that he's undefeated at that weight class, and only because of Cain did he drop down in the first place.
If Cormier wins championship Jones immediately moves up, beats him again and laughs at DC, then goes back to lhw.

If Jones loses it really hurts his GOAT status. I think it would affect DC less.

Back