Mir: Conor does more publicity (than others) but gets more money for doing so

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mir on Chael's podcast said that Conor should check his bank account when complaining about media obligations.
Mir said he understands Conor not liking to do media & that he did as well, but he looked at his own bank account & realized that he was getting paid more than other fighters & it was part of his job (esp. when main eventing).
He said every punch he threw, he made more $$$ for that due to promotion.

http://podcastone.com/chaelsonnen

Last edited:
That's not exactly true. He gets more money for drawing more eyes. More eyes might be the result of the the promotion, but he isn't getting paid for the promotion.

He gets no reimbursement for promoting. He gets it for views.

Thus, if he wants to cut back on promotion, and less people watch it would result in a pay cut (if he gets PPV buys, pay based on gate etc.) But if he still draws the same buys and he can do less promotion, he gets paid the same.

Its pretty simple. You want to hype the fight and get more dollars, you do more media. More exposure = more potential for money.

Murr is right. It's nothing but hilarious excuses.

"I'm paid to fight, I'm not yet paid to promote" bro then how come you get paid way more than Nate when he choked your ass?

"I asked for a slight adjustment/leeway, but I was denied". bro wtf do you think the UFC was doing allowing you to avenge a loss at 170 lbs while holding the FW belt, on the same card the No.1 and No.2 FWs are fighting for a BS interim belt?

"It is time for the other monkeys to dance". bro you can kiss that mass fighter support goodbye. Now you fight Lorenzo by yourself.

Also lol at Murr still on that post-USADA depression podcast binge.

If he'd wanted the rematch he would have turned up.

Well he is right, Conor makes more media and get paid A LOT. There is nothing else to say

That's not exactly true. He gets more money for drawing more eyes. More eyes might be the result of the the promotion, but he isn't getting paid for the promotion.

He gets no reimbursement for promoting. He gets it for views.

Thus, if he wants to cut back on promotion, and less people watch it would result in a pay cut (if he gets PPV buys, pay based on gate etc.) But if he still draws the same buys and he can do less promotion, he gets paid the same.
How do you know he isn't being reimbursed?

During traveling for media and the rest the fighters do not pay for room or meals. They are also have very little travel expense.

You actually have no idea how it works.

How do you know he isn't being reimbursed?

During traveling for media and the rest the fighters do not pay for room or meals. They are also have very little travel expense.

You actually have no idea how it works.

If your boss said to you 'Hey, we need you to work out of state. We won't pay you, but we'll cover all of your travel and food expenses.' That's not you getting paid.

And I don't know that he doesn't get paid. But you don't know that he does, neither does Mir. In fact, none of us do. We don't have his contract. But what I am saying, is that his paycheck on the night is based on him fighting and depending on his contract, PPV buys. None of that is actual promotion; but it can go up if he promoted successfully.

If your boss said to you 'Hey, we need you to work out of state. We won't pay you, but we'll cover all of your travel and food expenses.' That's not you getting paid.

No ... you are still getting paid.
Travel is part of a lot of jobs.
Promotion is part of the job description that UFC fighters sign.
He is getting paid for promotion.
Even the few fighters that took his side admitted that.

And I don't know that he doesn't get paid. But you don't know that he does, neither does Mir. In fact, none of us do. We don't have his contract. But what I am saying, is that his paycheck on the night is based on him fighting and depending on his contract, PPV buys. None of that is actual promotion; but it can go up if he promoted successfully.
This is not a blanket rule.

And it doesn't work quite like that. He wasn't exactly going to be flying coach and staying at the Red Rover Inn.

NBA, NFL, MLB, and all of those folks have similar deals. Chris Evans has been on television and radio for the past two months. And I'm sure that he hates 98% of it.

Are they paid to do it? Are their expenses paid?

My point is you don't know. So unless you can prove it, don't say it.

No ... you are still getting paid.
Travel is part of a lot of jobs.
Promotion is part of the job description that UFC fighters sign.
He is getting paid for promotion.
Even the few fighters that took his side admitted that.
He is comparing us mortals to celebrities. Every actor in Captain America has been all over the world promoting the shit out of the new movie.

Do you know if they are paid for this?

McGregor become big because of his mouth. While i do like him (also becuz of his trash talk), but he's being very annoying right now.
Just wanna adding more support for LouisBolandos.
"Leeway" he already got plenty, got a LW title shot instantly. A rematch instantly, i wouldn't surprised if he get the better PPVs share than anyone before.
"paid to fight, not to promote" he knows damn well why he become as famous and filthy rich as he's today. He should rethink before making this excuse.
"It's time for other monkey to dance". This is just so wrong he should never said this in the first place... he pretty much admitted that he's a monkey while embarrassing the UFC via make people think it's some kind of a zoo circus.

I just hope he could get back to the Octagon ASAP so this whole mess could be resolved for once.

This is not a blanket rule.

And it doesn't work quite like that. He wasn't exactly going to be flying coach and staying at the Red Rover Inn.

NBA, NFL, MLB, and all of those folks have similar deals. Chris Evans has been on television and radio for the past two months. And I'm sure that he hates 98% of it.

Are they paid to do it? Are their expenses paid?

My point is you don't know. So unless you can prove it, don't say it.

MLB players as part of their contract must do the media after each game.
Derek Jeter hated it, but said it is part of his job & as the main focus of The Yankees he sucked it up & did it.

I like @Rittsy but of course he is paid to do it ... it is in his job description

Mir on Chael's podcast said that Conor should check his bank account when complaining about media obligations.
Mir said he understands Conor not liking to do media & that he did as well, but he looked at his own bank account & realized that he was getting paid more than other fighters & it was part of his job (esp. when main eventing).
He said every punch he threw, he made more $$$ for that due to promotion.

http://podcastone.com/chaelsonnen
What time of the podcast is he saying this, Chael bothers me so don't want to listen to the whole thing...

The sky is blue, water is wet...

e564cd644f440286750bca0b1c532e77c951346086c3aeb04fb11edf619d4b84.jpg

He is comparing us mortals to celebrities. Every actor in Captain America has been all over the world promoting the shit out of the new movie.

Do you know if they are paid for this?

It is built in to part of their contract.

Here is a great example:
Howard Stern signed on to do AGT. His first contract was for two years & he signed to do the same media as the other coaches.
When he re-signed for two more years, he negotiated less media obligations (some conflicted with his morning radio show) & either was paid less or that took place of his raise.

Promotion is built in to these contracts & the pay that is negotiated.

Conor wanted to fight on UFC 200, because he knew that would be the bigger card. The bigger PPV revenue. So he wanted to be on the bigger event, without doing the publicity for it? Letting others do it? He should have not chose to be on this card, if he did not want publicity. UFC 200, is an event in itself. He should have known better. He will probably end up fighting at UFC 201 anyway. So he should have just chose that to begin with. He wouldn't of had to do a "mini tour". But a mini tour for 200 is reasonable. Because it is a landmark event for the UFC.

I just hope he could get back to the Octagon ASAP so this whole mess could be resolved for once.

I am a Conor fan, but this crap last week & that stupid BS tweet might have me rooting for Diaz to knock him further back to reality.

Back