How Exactly Do MMA Fighters Make Their Money? Myles Jury Explains on Inside MMA

TallBrah

Conor is a myth
@White
Reaction score

Very interesting stuff if you ask me; if this is a repost I apologize.

So you want to be a fighter, huh? Your thoughts guys?

My thought is if these fighters had the athletic ability to hack it in more mainstream sports where $$$ is abundant and fair, they'd have done it already.

#DealWithIt #CorporateAmericaRules #LorenzoBless

My thought is if these fighters had the athletic ability to hack it in more mainstream sports where $$$ is abundant and fair, they'd have done it already.

#DealWithIt #CorporateAmericaRules #LorenzoBless
"Everyone deserves exactly what they are currently getting. No one should ever fight for better treatment." - The part of Sherdog that won't shut the fuck up.

"Everyone deserves exactly what they are currently getting. No one should ever fight for better treatment." - The part of Sherdog that won't shut the fuck up.

Who are you quoting? These fighters are free to fight for more $$, just like the UFC is free to fight for more control and exploitation. That's capitalism for ya. I'm sure Chinese slave labors who make all this stuff used by Americans like Myles Jury have it way worse and complain about their pay all the time too. Do something about it yourself, the world's a tough place.

"Everyone deserves exactly what they are currently getting. No one should ever fight for better treatment." - Kenny Florian

What you accept is what you get. They're considered 'fighters', it seems like they don't fight for the right purse tho, or maybe they're just fine with it. Why do managers earn so much?

Damn go get ktfo and pocket $1500? That's rough

Firstly let me say I don't think the UFC is doing anything wrong.

Do I think fighters deserve more money? Yes.

Could the UFC pay fighters more money? Yes.

Now here's my reasoning why.

Just making it in the UFC is an amazing achieving. The UFC has approx say 400 fighters. If you remove all of the European, Asian, South American, Australian and Mexican fighters let say you get 325.

The US population is roughly 325 Million people. So just to have made it in to the UFC you are literally 1 in million(The top 0.0001% of the population)

Not only that but you literally need to dedicate your life and lifestyle around fighting to become the elite of the elite.

Personally, if any of us jackassess made it in to the UFC it would be the biggest achievements or our lives. Our equivalent of say making it in the olympic games.

Which brings to my next point. The thousands of athletes that are going to Rio Olympics dedicated their lives to their sports to represent themselves and their countries not for the fame or fortune. Pesonally, I believe if you want to sportsperson you shouldn't be doing it for the money because let's face it there are a lot more easier ways to make money.

Being a UFC fighter is a very tough gig, your career will be lucky to last 20 years and what you have to show for it after? Living in a caravan like UFC legend Ken Shamrock? financial problems like UFC legend Mark Coleman? A drug abused and wrecked body like Mark Kerr? No retirement/401k savings and massive tax debts?! Depression and an early death in your 40's and 50's? F*ck that!

Le'ts face the UFC is a business and their aim to make money and service debts. Zuffa has 400 fighters and who knows how many non fighter staff. They can't pay everyone millions of dollars, otherswise they will go broke.

Also, the fighters don't need to really fight for the UFC there are other organisations in the US, Europe, Japan, Russian, Australia etc. It's a market economy they can fight for whom they like.

Having said that revenue wise the UFC is doing fine. Let's say a PPV event featuring Connor or Ronda(plus others) sells 1million views and 30,000 tickets.

PPV Revenue $60 x 1,000,000 = $60,000,000
Ticket sales $200 x 30,000 = $6,000,000

Roughly $66 million revenue(not profit) for a popular UFC PPV, so UFC stop being so stingey and pay more money to your lower and middle tier fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy is paying his manager 20%. I thought management is supposed to be getting 10% max.

that wasn't really an explanation of how they make their money, more like how they spend it.

There's other ways they can make money out of the cage

The guy is paying his manager 20%. I thought management is supposed to be getting 10% max.
I though the rule of thumb was 20% like in the music/entertainment industry?

Monies is paper. Paper comes from wood. Wood comes from trees. So they first start by cutting down trees, that is the first step as to how fighters make their monies. The next step is too complicated for me to explain.

Those guys sometimes make money and sometimes they dont but they do get a ton of perks like

- Chicks
- minor acting gigs
- free gyn
- Coaching gigs
-Bouncer/bodyguard work
-free shit from sponsors

Fighters in the 90s used to roll up in a wife beater and lose some teeth just for the thrill of it all today's fighters need a reality check

Tons of guys get into fights every weakeds for nothing and get hurt way more than pro MMA fighters do big deal

of course there's also the arguement that without the UFC the average fighter pay would be 10 times less

Monies is paper. Paper comes from wood. Wood comes from trees. So they first start by cutting down trees, that is the first step as to how fighters make their monies. The next step is too complicated for me to explain.

1. Cut down trees.
2. ???
3. Profit

The US population is roughly 325 Million people. So just to have made it in to the UFC you are literally 1 in million(The top 0.0001% of the population)

Not only that but you literally need to dedicate your life and lifestyle around fighting to become the elite of the elite.

Personally, if any of us jackassess made it in to the UFC it would be the biggest achievements or our lives. Our equivalent of say making it in the olympic games.

Olympic gold medal winners are literally 1 in 7 billion, and the US government pays $25,000 for a gold medal, Australia $20,000... just for comparison :p

jury talked a lot without saying much. he's basically saying it's not great money, but the ufc is a business. no current fighter will say anything negative about fighter pay, unless it's someone like the diaz brothers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back