Do You Honestly Think Most of The Promos (or trash talking as some call it) Are Of High Quality?

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The promos (or trash talk as some call it) in MMA are of a very low level of quality compared to a good Ric Flair promo or Stone Cold Steve Austin promo for example. It's shocking just how far behind the MMA fighters are in their interview abilities compared to promos of a pro wrestler like Ric Flair, Steve Austin, Jake Roberts, Mick Foley, Shane Douglas, Roddy Piper, Terry Funk, Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, and the list goes on and on. The promos I have sen from MMA fighters are embarrassingly bad. If they couldn't curse they wouldn't know what to do. And no, the promos by those wrestlers were not scripted. The wrestlers created them back in that era.

Fuck no I've heard better insults when I take my nephew to the park.

Fuck no I've heard better insults when I take my nephew to the park.

What MMA fighters haven't yet learned is a promo or interview isn't just a chance to hurl insults at an opponent. That's just a part of it. A good promo should get the fans emotionally invested in the fight. It should cause the fans to become emotionally invested in the outcome of the fight. In a good promo, the fighter either makes the fans like him so much that they buy the PPV to hopefully see him win, or the promo makes the fans hate the fighter so much that they buy the PPV to see that fighter get beaten. If the fighter can't make the fans love him or hate him with his promos, then he hasn't accomplished what he needs to.

Educate yourself.

Chael Sonnen was one of the only MMA fighters so far to have gotten it, but he's not a current fighter; he's retired. Same with Tank Abbott. BTW, Chael Sonnen learned from Rowdy Roddy Piper. They were both from Oregon and were friends. Ronda Rousey was very good friends with Piper as well and she looked up to him as a mentor. There isn't a current UFC fighter with promo skills on the level of Sonnen or Tank Abbott.

UFC is doing great job by promoting their events...They are the best Martial Arts organisation ever....Those guys are complete fighters and I dont expect them to make showmanship outside the cage...For example Fedor,GSP,A.Silva or Jones...we can easily say they are boring personalities outside the cage but they always sell fights...so I only care about inside the cage because thats not WWE

Last edited:
You thread like a straw weight

conormendespress.jpg

Last edited:
UFC is best in promotion because of the quantity not the quality

Go away Dana. We know you want more money but trash talk doesn't come naturally to everyone.

Cheers but that doesn't make what i posted wrong.

No it doesn't, and i wasn't trying to argue. Just wanted to point out that since he got in the game, might aswell make the most out of it because is fighting ability wasn't going to do it for him.

Back