Greatest "Prime" fighter

drrtyboxin'

Beltless Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Open weight, in their prime, who would win?

Cain would be a contender at his 2nd JDS fight time.
Jones is a contender but not favored.
Anderson Silva is a longshot but should be mentioned.
Ubereem was pretty good and seemed unstoppable for a while.
Werdum is the current champ and is now well rounded.
Fedor.
Cormier at HW during his Strikeforce tourney win.
Liddel, Mirko, anyone else?
Who wins?!

You can argue that Werdum in his Prime now..

I'd say Werdum

Actually, Winner of Werdum/Cain

Prime JDS, Cain, Wanderlei, Andre and Fedor were beasts

If Ubereem is valid, I say give that amount of steroids to Shogun or Anderson and put them in there.

p011_0_01_2.jpg

Gun to my head I'd probably pick him to beat anyone else in their prime.

It's all styles. Prime Werdum probably beats Cain. Prime Cain probably beats JDS. Prime JDS probably beats Werdum. Fedor has a shot stylistically against a few guys… Prime Anderson believe it or not at HW would be a nightmare for JDS… Jon Jones probably beats the most diverse range of guys but he's still going to struggle against JDS and you know what… he probably loses to Lesnar [Where many other HW wouldn't -And he's even admitted as much].

No one prime fighter beats everyone.

Fedor, especially for his time. He was so, so good compared to everyone else back in 2002, 2003. He was so quick and powerful. So smart. So good at measuring distance and actually setting up his punches and the few kicks he would throw. He was also smaller than most people he fought as he was a small HW. And that most definitely counts for something if we're talking p4p here.

Everyone will say he's not the best because he doesn't have the right track record, but for the most part, not many good HWs were anywhere to be found during his prime. So I kind of agree with their assessment to an extent but you can't really hold it against him that much when Pride was the better place to be during his prime. It's not like he was hiding from UFC, obviously. And I don't really think you can talk much shit about his decision to not fight in UFC when he was already in his mid to late 30s and past hist prime by the time that became a realistic possibility.

Open weight, in their prime, who would win?

Cain would be a contender at his 2nd JDS fight time.
Jones is a contender but not favored.
Anderson Silva is a longshot but should be mentioned.
Ubereem was pretty good and seemed unstoppable for a while.
Werdum is the current champ and is now well rounded.
Fedor.
Cormier at HW during his Strikeforce tourney win.
Liddel, Mirko, anyone else?
Who wins?!

Kettlebell Fedor wins

Let's go away from conventional candidates. What about Norifumi Yamamoto? Kid was on another level before he left to try an be an Olympian. He was never the same after.

2003-2005 Fedor, with actual wrestling training (not weird/crappy sambo).

2005 MW GP Shogun, before the injuries, deserves a honorable mention also.

Back