Is Continental MMA the future (EuroFC, ONE-Asia, UFC-Americas)?

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
A new promotion called EuroFC is planning to hold events Europe-wide, not unlike ONE does in Asia.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/2...tures-ufc-veterans-niinimaki-badurek-launches

For all the talk of World Fucking Domination, the UFC has a consistent presence only in the US, Brazil, and Canada. They go to a lot of other countries but with one offs. Maybe two offs. The UFC is really a regional Americas promotion when all is said and done. Going to the Phillippines once or twice a year is not enough.

Obviously the UFC is the biggest promotion in the world but can a situation develop where it is hemmed in the Americas while these other promotions become number one in the territories? It's already happening on a certain scale. The UFC has not gone back to China in a while. Events in Asia seemed to have slowed while ONE has consistently put on events there.

In terms of marketing and putting on shows? perhaps.
In terms of talent? No, One FC probably isn't even top 5 in terms of talent

A new promotion called EuroFC is planning to hold events Europe-wide, not unlike ONE does in Asia.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/2...tures-ufc-veterans-niinimaki-badurek-launches

For all the talk of World Fucking Domination, the UFC has a consistent presence only in the US, Brazil, and Canada. They go to a lot of other countries but with one offs. Maybe two offs. The UFC is really a regional Americas promotion when all is said and done. Going to the Phillippines once or twice a year is not enough.

Obviously the UFC is the biggest promotion in the world but can a situation develop where it is hemmed in the Americas while these other promotions become number one in the territories? It's already happening on a certain scale. The UFC has not gone back to China in a while. Events in Asia seemed to have slowed while ONE has consistently put on events there.

Man your AV is KILLING me ROFL

Yes, IF the UFC was unable to resign all of their top tier fighters.

Who does Ben Askren fight? Nobodies.

That's not true. They've done very well in Europe and Japan and are growing in other countries.

In EU, they put on several big cards, in Germany, Poland and in Eastern Europe. They just had a very successful event in Croatia.

UFC is expanding, but expanding globally is a slow process. They do need to move away from so many US based shows and cover the world more but it costs more and is a bigger drain on the fighters as most of them are based in the US.

In terms of marketing and putting on shows? perhaps.
In terms of talent? No, One FC probably isn't even top 5 in terms of talent
Money is the ultimate equalizer. Overeem, McGregor, Tumerov, Gus, and Khabib are just a few fighters that could be tempted by an European fight promotion.

ben askren, shinya aoki, and bibiano disagrees
I get the point you're trying to make but i stand by my original wording. Even askren and bibiano being solid top 10, approaching top 5 doesn't raise the entire organization to anywhere close to top 5 globally for talent

ONE is already bigger than the UFC in southeast Asia as far as I can tell.

It's the 2nd biggest promotion in the world in terms of POPULARITY. Also they get huge attendance figures.

If euro FC can match that, I think UFC will miss out on a lot of high level talent

The continental promotions will probably always be second fiddle, but they can increase the depth of the sport and keep the UFC honest in terms of money.

Perhaps some continental promotion will grow into the English Premier League MMA equivalent, but with MMA being an individual sport, it will probably just mean some promotions pay a ton of money for a little star power. Looking at you, Rory . . .

We need a rich sheik to bankroll an actual world championships for each division from different major org every NYE.

That's not true. They've done very well in Europe and Japan and are growing in other countries.

In EU, they put on several big cards, in Germany, Poland and in Eastern Europe. They just had a very successful event in Croatia.

UFC is expanding, but expanding globally is a slow process. They do need to move away from so many US based shows and cover the world more but it costs more and is a bigger drain on the fighters as most of them are based in the US.

The UFC will need to put on even more events than it has ever had if it wants to grow the sport in many countries. They have to do this without reducing the amount of shows in the US. 70 to 80 events a year?

However, they have actually gone in the other direction since 2014. 46 events in 2014. 41 in 2015. Just 16 through then first half of 2016.

I'm skeptical. To succeed they need serious investors with deep pockets and who won't expect returns for some years. I doubt there are unnamed investors in Finland like that.

Besides that I think European mma has already peaked and the competition from shows like KSW, BAMMA, CWFC etc. might prove too strong.

The UFC will need to put on even more events than it has ever had if it wants to grow the sport in many countries. They have to do this without reducing the amount of shows in the US. 70 to 80 events a year?

However, they have actually gone in the other direction since 2014. 46 events in 2014. 41 in 2015. Just 16 through then first half of 2016.

Why can't they reduce the shows in the US ? They already have an audience here, they can afford to do more overseas stuff.

We need a rich sheik to bankroll an actual world championships for each division from different major org every NYE.

A cross promotional New Years Eve super fight event with the hype of both the Super Bowl and Wrestlemania, some rich person needs to make it happen.

Im going with no at the moment but within a few years, maybe. EFN seem to be doing good things but m1 global failed to become the ufc of russia so we shall see.

The ufc has sports networks and vegas money to help suppprt it. Why does the ufc hold so many shows in vegas, is there a mob connection or is it just a great venue ?

Having the americas continent under wraps will be hard for any competitor to rival. America and brazil will be hard to match mmmmm if EFN are smart they could do a few shows in south america.

I like the aspect of worldwide MMA with the different promotions on different continents; UFC, KSW, M-1, RIZIN, ONE,...

Yes, it is already happening to an extent and I could see MMA continuing in that direction albeit with the UFC still remaining as the worldwide power capable of dropping in on any market it chooses and selling out there once a year.

I'm excited to see how Euro-FC will do, but they've already got stiff competition with Cage Warriors, KSW, the Russian promotions etc. One Championship have SE Asia sewn up and Road FC are looking to do the same in NE Asia. EFC are the leading/only major promotion in Africa.

Back